Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom webmail access issue Wednesday 30 April

Options
  • 30-04-2014 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Re current webmail access issue

Access to eircom.net email is in the process of being restored in a controlled and phased manner following a decision by eircom to restrict service last night. Many of our users now have access to their mail account.

Yesterday, we detected an intrusion on the perimeter of our email service and in accordance with our security procedures and industry best practice, we took immediate steps to lock down our email service and eliminate any threat to our 350,000 eircom.net email users. As a precaution, we have alerted relevant bodies including the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.

Staff worked overnight to implement a number of system modifications and we expect all customers to have access by this evening. All pending email traffic has been stored and will be delivered as soon as possible.
    At this time, there is no evidence to suggest any impact to other eircom systems or services including customer data. Our investigations will continue into the cause of the intrusion.

Although the majority of customers can now access their webmail again now there is a significant volume of mails stored which are now processing through.

We are very sorry that this has caused a significant inconvenience to users of our email service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Are and were passwords stored with encryption?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I have a corporate customer who has had no pop3 access all day to their catchall account for the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don't get this, when Eircom say people should change their passwords, do they mean if they are accessing email via the Eircom website ot do they mean via their email software, say, outlook express for example ??

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Hey Eircom Tony, whats going on,

My email is back but after I log in the colours of the layout has changed from orange to blue and feels weird.
    So I went to change password. These are the instructions…..

To change your password:
    1.      Click the Preferences tab.
    2.      In the Overview pane, click General and in Login Options, click Password.
    3.      Enter your old password, your new password, and retype your new password to confirm.
    4.      Click Change password. Your password has been changed.
    I followed them but after I get to ‘Login Options’ there is no option for changing password.
    Somethings up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hey Eircom Tony, whats going on,

My email is back but after I log in the colours of the layout has changed from orange to blue and feels weird.
    So I went to change password. These are the instructions…..

To change your password:
    1.      Click the Preferences tab.
    2.      In the Overview pane, click General and in Login Options, click Password.
    3.      Enter your old password, your new password, and retype your new password to confirm.
    4.      Click Change password. Your password has been changed.
    I followed them but after I get to ‘Login Options’ there is no option for changing password.
    Somethings up !!

You should be able to change it here:

https://autoreg.eircom.net/passwordchange/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Should... I tried earlier. Accepted my 'new' password but didn't change it on the web server. However when I now go back in to change it again and asks for my password... guess what? It's not accepting the original password (which still works for webmail).... I could enter my new password to try and change it but.... I have a feeling therein lies a massive *&^% up if I continue.

I know this worked a few weeks ago as I changed the passwords after the heartbleed problem which Eircom did or didn't have... It wasn't clear if they did have the issue and fix it or didn't have the issue at all.

So has anyone managed to change their password successfully? 

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Limited Access
    You appear to be connected to the internet using a non-Irish Internet Service Provider (ISP), or an unrecognised network.
    As a security precaution and to protect against our systems being abused by spam e-mail senders, eircom net has restricted the ability to register connection, e-mail and webspace accounts and the use of the Password Changer utility to users who are connected via an Irish ISP. If possible, please try connecting using an eircom internet connection.

What are the options for people no longer resident in Ireland?

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MBSnr wrote: »
    Mr Simpson wrote: »

Should... I tried earlier. Accepted my 'new' password but didn't change it on the web server. However when I now go back in to change it again and asks for my password... guess what? It's not accepting the original password (which still works for webmail).... I could enter my new password to try and change it but.... I have a feeling therein lies a massive *&^% up if I continue.

I know this worked a few weeks ago as I changed the passwords after the heartbleed problem which Eircom did or didn't have... It wasn't clear if they did have the issue and fix it or didn't have the issue at all.

So has anyone managed to change their password successfully? 
    Also having problem with that function. Changed my password using the interface on the 2/May @ 8:40am. The change is logged against that function as my current password but my actual webmail password still hasn't changed 4 days later??

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aloh

Hi All

Access to eircom.net email is in the process of being restored in a controlled and phased manner following a decision by eircom to restrict service last night.  Many of our users now have access to their mail account.

Yesterday, we detected an intrusion on the perimeter of our email service and in accordance with our security procedures and industry best practice, we took immediate steps to lock down our email service and eliminate any threat to our 350,000 eircom.net email users. As a precaution, we have alerted relevant bodies including the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.

Staff worked overnight to implement a number of system modifications and we expect all customers to have access by this evening. All pending email traffic has been stored and will be delivered as soon as possible.
    At this time, there is no evidence to suggest any impact to other eircom systems or services including customer data. Our investigations will continue into the cause of the intrusion.

Although the majority of customers can now access their webmail again now there is a significant volume of mails stored which are now processing through.

We are very sorry that this has caused a significant inconvenience to users of our email service.
    I still haven't beeen able to access my mails at eircom.net and we are at the end of May. Can you tell me how to get this done. I have already called the 1830 nr. and I still have had no reply or email. What do I do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Aloh wrote: »
    Hi All

Access to eircom.net email is in the process of being restored in a controlled and phased manner following a decision by eircom to restrict service last night.  Many of our users now have access to their mail account.

I still haven't beeen able to access my mails at eircom.net and we are at the end of May. Can you tell me how to get this done. I have already called the 1830 nr. and I still have had no reply or email. What do I do next.
    Hi Aloh

I can confirm that all email support issues must go through the email support centre. The email support centre can be contacted on 1530277100 however if you are an eircom broadband subscriber you will be able to reach them on 1890260260.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement