Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea recall all childrens wall lamps (on the quiet)

Options
  • 30-04-2014 4:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Luckily I came across a Canadian Government website that has publicised a recall in Canada (and the USA) for most/all children's wall lamps due to strangulation hazard.

The UK and Irish Ikea website have issued no such recalls (yet). I contacted them (1890 876 707) and the lady knew all about the recall. In North America you can contact them for a free repair kit, here you must return the lamp to the store.

The full recall list is here:
    http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2014/39205r-eng.php#!prettyPhoto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

You can get a repair kit, you don't need to return the lamp. I picked up two without the lamp or receipt last month at the customer service desk in Dublin.

I'm nearly sure they sent out emails a while ago about this if you're registered with Ikea family, I think that's how I found out. But I don't think they are recalling here, more offering a kit for safety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I told the customer service agent that in North America they were offering a "free repair kit", but she insisted I bring the lamp back to the shop. We only bought the lamp last week and it came with no repair kit, nor was one offered at any stage. If they know about the issue, why are they not included as standard?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I told the customer service agent that in North America they were offering a "free repair kit", but she insisted I bring the lamp back to the shop. We only bought the lamp last week and it came with no repair kit, nor was one offered at any stage. If they know about the issue, why are they not included as standard?

That is strange alright. You would assume that new lamps came with the safety kit inside.

My lamps were old but I had no problems when I requested a kit. There were posters up too highlighting the issue, maybe they have been taken down now?
    Either way, they shouldn't continue to sell a compromised product. It's a pity you have to return to the store again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Well I think if you need someone to point out to you there is a strangulation risk with these lamps then something's wrong. They have a long cord hanging from them!! You can see this and surely be able to access the danger there and decide if you want the lamp.

sari wrote: »
    Well I think if you need someone to point out to you there is a strangulation risk with these lamps then something's wrong. They have a long cord hanging from them!! You can see this and surely be able to access the danger there and decide if you want the lamp.

Of course! Mine were coiled up anyway, the kit has proper tacks to do it neatly. I think the issue is that they should have come with the lamps originally so that you could fix the cord without doing a DIY job. (And therefore make them safer)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My thoughts exactly. We have one the last 4 years in our daughters bedroom. Common sense told us to tack the cord to the wall when installing and hide as much as possible.

Every single lamp you buy will have a length of cable attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Easy solution. Sell the lamp without any cord :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It wasn't really on the quiet, this was all over irish news and media there 6-8 weeks ago. I can't see why they are still selling the old version of the lamps without the fix though....

Advertisement