Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scarmbler / off roader for the summer .. but which one ?

• 30-04-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardsies,

I had a similar thread sometime ago .. (Can't find it now.. maybe its deleted, so started a new one)

Was thinking of getting a Scrambler for the summer. (Have previously owned small 125cc road bikes). My purpose would be fields, bog, gravel roads .... basically recreational, NOT racing. It would NOT strictly need to road legal as I have a trailer.

My question is ... am I better off avoiding the actual purpose built racing motorcrossers eg. RM, CR, YZ, KX's of this world as too be honest some of them are a bit scary and their long term reliability would be rubbish... I imagine ?

and instead concentrating on their road legal equivalents ..eg. Enduro or multi-purpose type bikes eg. Honda XLR range, Suzuki DR or TS range,Kawasaki KDX/KLX range .. they would be less powerful but easier to handle and have far lower maintenance costs... plus would with have some extras like electric start and lights etc.

Also am I better off getting a two stroke or a 4 stroke. I'm thinking 250-400cc. Most of them seem to be 4 stroke.

Budget is about €1500 so I already realize I'll be buying something about 10years old... reliability is super important to me... much more so that all out performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ronoc101

Suzuki DR-Z400. Bullet proof 4T 400cc. A bit of poke but wont get you in trouble.
    I got a 05' SM model for just over €2k and picked up some off road wheels and tyres for it. Does brilliant as a commuter and can also take it almost anywhere off road. A bit on the heavy side but if you're just out to have a bit of fun you won't get better.

donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/drz400s/6832417
    donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/05-suzuki-drz-400-sm-mc-road-reg-/6812368
    donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/motorbike-suzuki-drz-400cc-trailbike/6691628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Have to agree about the drz, particularly since I just bought one.

Stick some T-63's or something similar on it and it'll be fine on the road and good off road as well.

Whatever you get I wouldn't bother with a 2-stroke. You'll have a easier life with a four stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks for quick replies guys....

and the DD links.

Yes, the Suzuki DR range seem to be quite legendary !! ultra reliable and pretty decent all rounders ... on and off road.

My own personal reservation about the DR400 (2000- 2008) is that it might be a bit heavy for very soft terrain (eg. bog, which is mostly where it will be driven) ...incidently am I right in my research that the older DR350 (1992-1999) was lighter ?

Thanks for quick replies guys....

and the DD links.

Yes, the Suzuki DR range seem to be quite legendary !! ultra reliable and pretty decent all rounders ... on and off road.

My own personal reservation about the DR400 (2000- 2008) is that it might be a bit heavy for very soft terrain (eg. bog, which is mostly where it will be driven) ...incidently am I right in my research that the older DR350 (1992-1999) was lighter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

If your going for a dr350 then most will be old and tired by now, they are also a pig to start when hot or after you've dropped it, get one with an electric start and keep a good battery in iit. They also have a bit of a cult following in the uk so are getting expensive. A little Honda xr125 might suit you or xr200, xt225 serow or djebel if you can find one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

DR200's appear occasionally, they are nice and light.
    Enduro used to mean a road legal trail bike but these days its more like a MX bike with a lighting coil and wide ratio gearbox.
    Modern 2T bikes are super reliable, If I wanted another one I'd be looking for a KTM200EXC, you can get them road legal as well.
    Super light basically a 125 chassis with a slightly bigger torquey engine.
    Maintenence is simple and rebuilds are cheap if needed.
    Bog is hard work on bigger bikes and the problem is usually excessive weight and over use of the throttle, lighter machines always fare better in soft conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Mmmmm ktm 200exc.... Off to done deal I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

ktm 200 a good choice, probably over budget for a decent one tho, wr250 probably the most reliable of the 4ts elrc start aswell...drz400 too heavy not really a dirt bike, the 4t enduro 450s are for skilled and fit riders only!...kdx200 might be a good bet within your budget, hard to find now as the youngest is 95 model.

Thanks guys,

Interesting opinions. I'm starting to think that maybe a 200 or 250 might be just the ticket for me..... it will have adequate power from a non race tuned 4T engine, but at the same time not too heavy for mud plugging. From my research so far, those sizes of motorbikes tend to be expensive and rare. Plenty of 125's and plenty of bigger yokes ..but not much in the 'sweet spot'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

crf150 perhaps? replaced the xr125, which was well regarded in that area iirc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Advertisement