Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

support for iPad 2

• 30-04-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a refurbished iPad 2 from Apple themselves. €279 so seems like a good deal.

But does anybody have an idea for how much longer support and iOS updates will be available for the iPad 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

pajor wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a refurbished iPad 2 from Apple themselves. €279 so seems like a good deal.

But does anybody have an idea for how much longer support and iOS updates will be available for the iPad 2?

I'd say iOS 8 could be the last update it receives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't know if I'd even want iOS 7 on it. If it came with iOS 6 I'd probably never update it.

Your other option is a second hand iPad 3 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My mother has one now; it's definitely not worth 279 euro, it's quite an aged design compared to other 10" tabs. Much better alternatives nowadays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have an iPad 2 since launch and I'm looking to upgrade soon. It doesn't handle iOS 7 too well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

faceman wrote: »
    I have an iPad 2 since launch and I'm looking to upgrade soon. It doesn't handle iOS 7 too well

I've scrapped the idea now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

faceman wrote: »

Why....?
    We have an ipad2 and an iPad mini in this house both on iOS 7 and apart from the size I can't tell any difference between them. They're mostly used for internet, email, social media, watching the odd movie etc and we've never had any problem trying to do anything with either of them. I don't know what you'd have to be doing with an ipad to notice any difference between any of the models and I doubt many others could either. For 99% of the people and ipad 2 would be perfectly adequate I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

You'd be best to save your money and get the newer iPad tbh mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Why....?
    We have an ipad2 and an iPad mini in this house both on iOS 7 and apart from the size I can't tell any difference between them. They're mostly used for internet, email, social media, watching the odd movie etc and we've never had any problem trying to do anything with either of them. I don't know what you'd have to be doing with an ipad to notice any difference between any of the models and I doubt many others could either. For 99% of the people and ipad 2 would be perfectly adequate I reckon...

You do realise that an iPad mini (non retina) has pretty much exactly the same spec as an iPad 2? So if you're comparing the 2 for performance they would be identical. The only upside to this is that I don't suspect apple will drop support for the 1st gen mini soon and this will mean the iPad 2 should still be supported as well (they run the same apps, from a developer pov).

For clarity:
    iPad mini = small version of iPad 2 (but launched at same time as iPad with retina aka ipad4)
    iPad mini retina = small version of iPad Air (aka iPad 5)
    So even though mini retina was only launched 1 year after mini there's actually 3 generations of spec difference between them. (Sorry for the thread drift)

As for buying an iPad 2, for €279 I wouldn't either. Get a refurb or 2nd hand 4/5...

Advertisement