Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do if your child breaks something?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Just now was up in my mum's house, and while playing with her granda, my daughter (4) broke a china tea cup they had bought years ago in disneyland,

not long after in another accident she broke a statue my mum loved, i tried to find it online (i intended on replacing it) but i cannot find one. and i know the tea set is discontinued.

i feel awful that my daughter did this as she isn't usually this hyper and jumpy, and also i was very distracted today and left her off with the messing. she did say sorry to her nana after and my mum said it was ok, but i think that was more while we were there and not wanting to upset her granddaughter.

so what do other people do in situations where their child breaks something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

Hi OP,
    Your daughter is only 4 and both breakages were accidents and that goes with the kids' territory. As you're unable to replace the items why not take your little girl shopping and let her pick out something else for her nana and help her make a nice card. That way she will know how special it is and will always see her gift when she goes to visit. It will also serve as a gentle reminder for her to be a little more careful in future. I'm sure your parents will be chuffed too. Don't be too upset, there was no malice in it and sometimes children break things, I know I still do occasionally:).

Advertisement