Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remove sink

• 30-04-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

Hi - I need to remove the sink in my bathroom. I have a fella coming in the morning to replace the counter top the sink sits into.

So I thought I would just turn off the water to the hot and cold from the hot press, and loosen the nuts I can see from below the sink. But the pipes do not seem to want to budge, and I'm not sure whether I want to force them as I dont really know what I am doing.

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing? I'd really appreciate it! Attached is a pic of the "junction" I am trying to "separate" so I can remove the sink. I have loosened the lowest/biggest brass screw, and I have unscrewed the top brass screw. With both the screws loose I dont seem to be able to pull one section of pipe away from the other, which I thought I would. If someone could help I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ok got it, bit of elbow grease sorted it out. Can't find how to delete the OP, mods if you want to, be my guest. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Fit isolating valves on both supplies then you will never ever have an issue replacing taps or servicing the system. Cost pennies but you have to ask to have them fitted in this country. Imagine having the ability to turn off the water to each tap, toilet, washing machine, shower outside tap without hunting for the big red valve in the hotpress which will not actually stop the flow entirely and will affect every service outlet on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

freddyuk wrote: »
    Fit isolating valves on both supplies then you will never ever have an issue replacing taps or servicing the system. Cost pennies but you have to ask to have them fitted in this country. Imagine having the ability to turn off the water to each tap, toilet, washing machine, shower outside tap without hunting for the big red valve in the hotpress which will not actually stop the flow entirely and will affect every service outlet on the line.

Do you know what, that's an excellent idea and something we could all learn from. From my experience, the only time you see these is on pipework for dishwashers and washing machines. Or on sinks in older houses.

That would have saved me the cost of two wrenches in homebase yesterday! I actually tried to use them still in their packaging but soon the DIY-expletives were flying as it was making a tricky job even more annoying, I soon bit the bullet and ripped the packaging off in a fit of rage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Howdy - I'm gutting my en-suite and removal of the current sink is on my to-do list. Using a couple wrenches I was able to sufficiently lossen the nuts without leaking starting. Now I need to turn off the water so I don't flood the place.

Two questions here...

1. I presume both the hot and cold valves are always in the hot press?
    2. Assuming yes to the above, once I turn them off and disconnect the sink pipes how long should I expect water to come out until it empties form the system? (just want to know how big of a bucket should i have :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I tried turning off the values that I could but the sink in the en suite is still coming out..would anyone be able to help me out with advice....it's a long shot I know.

How long should water continue to come out from a tap once I turn off the valve before it stops?

• Advertisement
Advertisement