Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owning an Apartment

Options
  • 30-04-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it true that you never fully own an apartment - that you only 'buy' a longterm lease? What happens when the lease runs out (I know some are for, i.e. 1000 years), does the bank/apartment management/sharehoulders/some other option that my tired brain cannot think of own it then, or what? And just in terms of a mortgage, are you paying off a mortgage, or a mortgage for a lease (probably?)?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- its a long term lease.
    All properties are vested in the Management Company- of whom you are a shareholder- so even after the 1000 years (or however how long) you still hold your share in the Management Company- which in turn owns the property. Presumably there would be some massive redevelopment at that stage- to reflect changes in living conditions over the previous millenium.........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yes- its a long term lease.
    All properties are vested in the Management Company- of whom you are a shareholder- so even after the 1000 years (or however how long) you still hold your share in the Management Company- which in turn owns the property. Presumably there would be some massive redevelopment at that stage- to reflect changes in living conditions over the previous millenium.........

The pantheon in rome has survived 2,000 years, but the average dublin apartment is built to last only 30-50!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The pantheon in rome has survived 2,000 years, but the average dublin apartment is built to last only 30-50!
    Based on what?
    If maintained they should last indefinitely. The Pantheon hasn't lasted without massive restoration and repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

There are many red-bricked 70's apartment blocks around. They look rock solid. They normally have really well proportioned rooms and lots of storage. I can see them outlasting a lot of the rubbish that was built during the 00's bubble.

Advertisement