Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on choosing a gig please :)

Options
  • 30-04-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

I want to get my son tickets for a concert/gig of some sort. The thing is I know nothing about teenagers music taste. The only band I know he like is Artic Monkeys but we are away for that gig.
    He's 15
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Hard to know if you're not sure what his taste in music is. If he likes Arctic Monkeys try The Coronas, Elbow, Biffy Clyro, The National. All playing in Dublin in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Don't buy him a ticket for a gig without asking him if he likes the band first.
    Nothing worse than to be at a gig of someone you don't like.

Sit down with him and look through the gig listing together sure and let him pick one out

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Just make sure you check the age limit on the gig before you buy anything as well, Biffy is over 18's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just go to the gig guide and choose one there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Maybe a ticketmaster voucher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Anything in a licensed premises then simply don't bother.

Buying him a ticket for him to be refused would be a waste of money and a disappointment to boot.

Check for stuff that is explicitly advertised as "all ages".

Or email ticketmaster/tickets.ie and ask them for a list of upcoming gigs that wouldn't have an 18s and over policy and let him choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Where abouts? Kasabian are playing around the country. Not Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Morf wrote: »
    Anything in a licensed premises then simply don't bother.

I have never been ID'd or refused entry at a gig in my life. worst case scenario, if he got ID'd and refused entry he can always stand beside an adult and they'll say, yeah he's with me.

If he likes them at all I'd suggest the Biffy gig, they're quality live. But as said above, don't buy random gig tickets if you don't know whether he's into the band or not.

On a side note, fair play, gig tickets are excellent gifts, nothing like memories of a gig from when you're a young'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

KeithTS wrote: »
    I have never been ID'd or refused entry at a gig in my life. worst case scenario, if he got ID'd and refused entry he can always stand beside an adult and they'll say, yeah he's with me.

Completely untrue ... if it's a licenced venue such as The Academy, Button Factory etc he will be refused entry unless it's specifically stated as an "all ages show".

The O2 and bigger venues mostly have an "Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult" policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭danois

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. I had planned on it being a surprises but after your kind suggestions I asked him what he would like to see.

I'm glad now because I was not expecting the answers I got lol he said either lee Evans which is sold out or else wrestling!! So he off to the wrestling..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

what a really nice present to give your son, you're a cool parent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Yeah I'd definitely ask him what other bands he likes first, just to be on the safe side! But it is a great year for gigs in Ireland this year I must say - you have Arcade Fire, The National, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and Queens of the Stone Age (in belfast) :)! I'd imagine he likes Kings of Leon and Queens of the Stone age but yeah i'd find out first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd definitely ask him what other bands he likes first, just to be on the safe side! But it is a great year for gigs in Ireland this year I must say - you have Arcade Fire, The National, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and Queens of the Stone Age (in belfast) :)! I'd imagine he likes Kings of Leon and Queens of the Stone age but yeah i'd find out first :)

the OP did, the lad is off to kick some butt at the wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

danois wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. I had planned on it being a surprises but after your kind suggestions I asked him what he would like to see.

I'm glad now because I was not expecting the answers I got lol he said either lee Evans which is sold out or else wrestling!! So he off to the wrestling..

Eh just thought I'd mention Lee Evans doesn't seem to be entirely sold out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yarghhh wrote: »

Maybe the OP doesnt want to sit through a Lee Evans gig :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭danois

Yarghhh wrote: »

Really? I looked and couldn't find tickets. Maybe cause I need 2 seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hope he enjoys the wrestling. They certainly provide a spectacle!

Advertisement