Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

A independent source please, for me yours waaaay to close to home and damage limitation to be taken seriously there sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

A lot of people have an impression of him formed by his media appearances most of which where antagonistic interviews. If you ever talk to him personally you'll see a totally different person.

"He's a nice guy once you get to know him. Possibly a terrorist leader that orchestrated murders and stuff, but still a nice guy."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

"He's a nice guy once you get to know him. Possibly a terrorist leader that orchestrated murders and stuff, but still a nice guy."
    He is a nice guy and I have no problem saying so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Vinny B is making a disgrace of himself tonight. I've never voted SF before but the local rep does good work and I'm considering voting for him now.

You could substitute conor cruise in for vinny tonight, except CCOB would have more decorum...

an attempted hatchet-job IMO....that didn't work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sigh. I never said that, the conversation was about the presidents visit to England and how we're all told to forget and move on.

We weren't told to forget and move on like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I really liked working with Shane O'Doherty in the nineties, and have to credit him as a superb mentor (we argued endlessly about politics)

I met the non Bermingham six through him, and dealt with numerous phone calls from people involved in terrorism, and whilst they were all polite, I was always wary of them.

He is a nice guy and I have no problem saying so.
    THE paedophile brother of Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has been sentenced to 16 years in prison for raping his daughter.

Liam Adams, 58, from west Belfast, was found guilty last month of a string of sexual assaults on Aine Dahlstrom when she was a child in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

During a first trial earlier this year, which collapsed, the Sinn Fein leader claimed he first heard of the sex abuse claims in 1987 and, 13 years later, his younger brother admitted his guilt to him.

Nah, if that's a nice guy I would hate to see your interpretation of a Cnut.

If you ever talk to him personally you'll see a totally different person.

I'd imagine he could be quite scary with a sack over your head alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The Aussie wrote: »
    A independent source please, for me yours waaaay to close to home and damage limitation to be taken seriously there sorry.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/30/gerry-adams-held-jean-mconville-killing
    http://news.ie.msn.com/ireland/gerry-adams-held-by-police-over-jean-mcconville-murder
    http://sluggerotoole.com/2014/03/24/gerry-adams-makes-himself-available-to-the-psni-for-questioning/

last one dates 24 march...far from sinn fein supporting

rockbeast wrote: »
    Vinny B is making a disgrace of himself tonight. I've never voted SF before but the local rep does good work and I'm considering voting for him now.

You could substitute conor cruise in for vinny tonight, except CCOB would have more decorum...

an attempted hatchet-job IMO....that didn't work...

The fact that you don't understand why Vincent Brown is doing this sort of thing is terrifying.

The founders of SF are literal murdering terrorists and their newer candidates are nearly all utter morons who are trading solely on peoples dissatisfaction with mainstream parties whilst they haven't a notion themselves.

Well end up back in the Stone Age if these clowns get closer to power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

"Terrorist" is a loaded, dirty word. The British security forces were "terrorists" in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

There must be a real and genuine fear amidst the orthodoxy that SF are going to make serious gains in the local elections.

That's enough reason for me to vote SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This, of course being a far worse thing than the Irish state, under guidance from FG; spending millions on trying to shut up a woman when she took them to court in Europe.

Enda Kenny, his ministers and advisors; threatened to ruin women who were daring to bring their cases in front of the EU. Why isn't that snivelling little cockring in jail?

And why aren't people calling for that.. considering they're so interested in retrospective justice and all?

The fact that you don't understand why Vincent Brown is doing this sort of thing is terrifying.

The founders of SF are literal murdering terrorists and their newer candidates are nearly all utter morons who are trading solely on peoples dissatisfaction with mainstream parties whilst they haven't a notion themselves.

Well end up back in the Stone Age if these clowns get closer to power.

TBF you could say that of any political party in ireland

...far from sinn fein supporting

I don't think you get what I mean, you think he just rocked on up and said here I am or he came in under appointment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thelonious wrote: »
    "Terrorist" is a loaded, dirty word. The British security forces were "terrorists" in my opinion.

The word "terrorist" is pretty much redundant at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This, of course being a far worse thing than the Irish state, under guidance from FG; spending millions on trying to shut up a woman when she took them to court in Europe.

Enda Kenny, his ministers and advisors; threatened to ruin women who were daring to bring their cases in front of the EU. Why isn't that snivelling little cockring in jail?

And why aren't people calling for that.. considering they're so interested in retrospective justice and all?

Can you please cite the case so we can put in context?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Seaneh wrote: »

You're either a terrorist or a freedom fighter depending on how good your PR is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, TDs don't automatically have diplomatic immunity. It's "complicated" but that's about it. I also understand that Gerry is a citizen of the UK so that makes it much less complicated.

If Gerry had been in the Republic, he could have claimed he was on his way to Leinster House and he'd be free from arrest, but the North is a different country so he can be arrested as required.

Cheers, I thought that the police of country A arresting a member of country B's parliament might have caused some legal and/or diplomatic issues but I'd imagine that Adams is one of the more special cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And if he's still there its definitely more than an appointment ,

Actually all we got it's an appointment is a statememt from sf ,odd that didn't wait till he was released ,

I'll stick with he was Arrested until proof of other

• Advertisement

rockbeast wrote: »
    There must be a real and genuine fear amidst the orthodoxy that SF are going to make serious gains in the local elections.

That's enough reason for me to vote SF.

Again, why do you think this has anything to do with the Irish government when Adams arranged this?

Stheno wrote: »
    Can you please cite the case so we can put in context?

I think he is referencing Cork woman Louise O’Keeffe battle all the way to the European Court of Human Rights over her Sexual Abuse at a State run School.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

sea_monkey wrote: »
    You're either a terrorist or a freedom fighter depending on how good your PR is

Even beyond that, it's just a redundant title.

Seaneh wrote: »

This country is doomed with this kind of mentality.

Hey lads, Larry Murphy is putting himself up for election. Vote for him because he isn't FF or FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

there are a lot more people who have a more deserving axe to grind with the PIRA in relation to unsolved/wrongfull killings
    but since the msain players in said killings are no longer part of Sinn Fein...they are to be forgot it appears...its wrong...justice for all innocent deaths I say

The PSNI have some sort of evidence in this case, apparently from the Boston College business. Now, if your complaint is that the BC stuff happened because of Adam's prominence, and didn't for others, well, that's as maybe, I suppose. But do you have a basis for suggesting lack of police investigation in other cases where there's a basis to proceed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Very good at attaching themselves to various campaigns and causes and getting their faces in local papers, but little else. A bunch of complete chancers, preying on poorly educated, historically illiterate imbeciles.

Here's a Tumblr blog, full of photographs of a Sinn Fein councillor standing beside stuff, looking annoyed. Pretty much sums up the entire work of their representatives.

The Aussie wrote: »
    I don't think you get what I mean, you think he just rocked on up and said here I am or he came in under appointment?

he came under appointment...some were trying to say he would out in the south
    they I said he volountary came as his solictiter was in touch with them
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/29746

but alas this wasn't good enough so I provided proof that he was making him available and soliciter was onto psni:
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/29746

I never said/didn't mean to infer he didn't have appointment...I just said...this was all well arranged and he wasn't hiding out as was suggested:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mad to think he was only 24 at the time this was going on.

So young.

P_1 wrote: »
    Cheers, I thought that the police of country A arresting a member of country B's parliament might have caused some legal and/or diplomatic issues but I'd imagine that Adams is one of the more special cases.

The Irish government would have looked foolish if they got annoyed at an ex-terrorist getting arrested in relation to a murder.

Can't be seen to be harbouring (potential) criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder if Gerry has his get out of jail letter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement