Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

According to @StephenNolan: BBC understands police who questioned Gerry Adams want to charge him with IRA membership . Final decision will rest with prosecutors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

…. Nationalism is an extension of cultural identity in the north, an identity that was consistently challenged and undermined for years. ….
    But why the need to extend from cultural identity to political nationalism? Cultural considerations could have been, and now are, protected along with the more fundamental things.

And nationalism is simply bad IMO. It doesn’t have to be and most of the time it isn’t. But it has served us terribly though out history. And we don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jawgap wrote: »
    According to @StephenNolan: BBC understands police who questioned Gerry Adams want to charge him with IRA membership . Final decision will rest with prosecutors

That's 10 hours ago. William Crawley and BBC News say the authorities who the policie made this request to have decided not to charge him. That is within the last two hours. The whole law enforcement regime in the North is leaking like a sieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And nationalism is simply bad IMO. It doesn’t have to be and most of the time it isn’t. But it has served us terribly though out history. And we don't need it.

when you handing in your passport so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

But why the need to extend from cultural identity to political nationalism? Cultural considerations could have been, and now are, protected along with the more fundamental things.

Again, like I said, when you grow up in an environment where these things are simply taken for granted, you're never really going to understand why they are so important to others.

Again, like I said, when you grow up in an environment where these things are simply taken for granted, you're never really going to understand why they are so important to others.

I don't doubt that it is important to many people just as I don't doubt that religion is important to many people. I say that this is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gibson is a Protestant church minister. He's supposed to be a reverend. How very Christian of him. :pac:

presumably this PSNI are going to feel his collar on an incitement charge :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I would say Enda Kenny is gutted. Might have to answer a question or two put to him by Gerry Adams now rather than hiding behind Jean McConville. The PSNI team behind this are a disgrace but that is of little surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I would say Enda Kenny is gutted. Might have to answer a question or two put to him by Gerry Adams now rather than hiding behind Jean McConville. The PSNI team behind this are a disgrace but that is of little surprise.

I doubt that will stop Enda when he is faced with a difficult question. One of his key strenghts is throwing mud at Adams in the Dail whenever asked about anything he doesn't feel like answering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I doubt that will stop Enda when he is faced with a difficult question. One of his key strenghts is throwing mud at Adams in the Dail whenever asked about anything he doesn't feel like answering.

This is the thing that angers me the most. Blatant hypocrisy by the leaders of my state. Not a single ordinary person on this island counts, but a woman murdered 40 odd years ago might be good for votes. If She was alive and on a trolley in a hospital she wouldn't matter for ****.
    Kenny is like Dr Stragelove - except instead of struggling to contain the straight arm fascist salute , he struggles to stop uttering Jean McConville's name. Lock her killers up and let them rot, leave her memory to her children and have some fcukin empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

What is a "shinnerbot" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

What actually happened is that their laudable civil rights quest came to be conflated with a political, nationalistic quest in the form of a united Ireland project. And the use of force by some within the nationalist community, which should only have been used for the defence of that community, was used as well to further this UI project, against the wishes (in terms of means) of the majority of Irish people even though they did subscribe to the end.

You seem to have missed the most important bit where the apolitical non-sectarian Civil Rights movement was met with lethal force by both the RUC and BA.

Even if we pretend the Nationalist community had been seeking a UI, so ****ing what? They had every right to aspire to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Zed Bank wrote: »
    What is a "shinnerbot" ?

Morks favourite swearword?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Of topic but kinda related to this thread re past incidents.

Wonder will there be a big media event next week on the 40th Anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, 34 people, including an unborn baby, died that day, leading to the greatest loss of life in a single day of the Troubles. Not a single person has ever been prosecuted in connection with any of the cross-border bombings. Indeed, an official silence was mantained about the events until the early 1990s.

I be there .

http://www.dublinmonaghanbombings.org/

What is a "shinnerbot" ?

In a nutshell 'shinnerbot' a term useful idiots use in an attempt to stigmatise those who don't subscribe to neurotic anti-Republican/Nationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You seem to have missed the most important bit where the apolitical non-sectarian Civil Rights movement was met with lethal force by both the RUC and BA.

Even if we pretend the Nationalist community had been seeking a UI, so ****ing what? They had every right to aspire to it.

this is it exactly...britin sowed the seeds for the troubles...what is point walking about looking for civil rights...if your being shot off the streets and burnt out of your home...entire streets burnt out

the ira didn't spring from thin air
    What is a "shinnerbot" ?

anyone who disagrees with the accepted lie that the ira were 100% responsible for the troubles

Did I?
    The problem at the time was that their rights and opportunities were being trodden upon, often with brutal and lethal force.
    Pretend? Are you joking? And PIRA did not have a right to pursue it using force with no mandate from the Irish people.

In any case I don’t deny they had a right along with a desire to pursue it. I say nationalism of any kind, green or orange, is not worthy of pursuit.

• Advertisement

anyone who disagrees with the accepted lie that the ira were 100% responsible for the troubles

The PIRA were a symptom. Sectarian Unionism underpinned by the British was the disease.

What is a "shinnerbot" ?
    Used to be called knuckle-dragger. Pretty much the opposite to a West-Brit and like that term, is a fairly good indicator that a post is devoid of any content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

realies wrote: »
    Of topic but kinda related to this thread re past incidents.

Wonder will there be a big media event next week on the 40th Anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, 34 people, including an unborn baby, died that day, leading to the greatest loss of life in a single day of the Troubles. Not a single person has ever been prosecuted in connection with any of the cross-border bombings. Indeed, an official silence was mantained about the events until the early 1990s.

I be there .

http://www.dublinmonaghanbombings.org/

On a similar note the Belturbet bombing is another incident that has never led to any prosecutions. Alan Shatter has refused renewed calls to release the files on the bombing, so it remains shrouded in murky secrecy on both sides of the border. Fran McNulty did a good documentary on it a number of years ago called the forgotten bomb. Is one of the few decent investigative journalists remaining in the country

Did I?

You glossed over it. The PIRA gained impetus they might never have had had the British not started murdering Civil Rights protesters. I'm sure Ivan Cooper would agree with me.
    Pretend? Are you joking? And PIRA did not have a right to pursue it using force with no mandate from the Irish people.

Please don't be intellectually lazy and put words in my mouth.
    I say nationalism of any kind, green or orange, is not worthy of pursuit.

And I say people like you are one of the reasons we don't have a better country. I care about this country. I care about the Irish people regardless of their skin colour, religion, or how long they've been here.

I don't doubt that it is important to many people just as I don't doubt that religion is important to many people. I say that this is not a good thing.

You're perfectly entitled to believe that. I'm just saying that there are many forms of nationalism out there that haven't and don't morph into Nazism or become extreme, and many of them are perfectly acceptable across the world. Taking pride in the achievements of one's own country or enjoying the literature, food, language and music of one's own country could be called nationalism. We are all perfectly fine with all of that, presumably. It becomes political when we feel like those things and our affinity with them are being trod upon or denigrated, as we see happening across the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Sometimes I wonder if some people who live on this Island understand history of it.

What happened J McConville was wrong, like so many acts of violence on both sides.

The very people who want to move on in these threads and call the shinners knuckledraggers are always the ones who want to punish them for things they seem to have so little knolledge of.

I am sure some of the ''Proud'' Irish people here if alive during the 1916 rising would have been the ones spitting on the rebels as they where dragged half dead through the streets of Dublin.

Probably the same ass holes who sing rebel songs after a few jars.

only voted for one SF candidate before but that's gonna change now.

I would not underestimate the influence GA has had on lasting peace in the six counties.

Rather than focus on one wrongful disgusting death during the troubles we should concentrate on the many hundreds if not thousands that have been saved since peace was brokered.

Or if you want to look for injustice, torture, the deaths of innocent men, women and children then look no further than the last 10 years and see how many have met they're maker at the hands of the British army in foreign lands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

In a nutshell 'shinnerbot' a term useful idiots use in an attempt to stigmatise those who don't subscribe to neurotic anti-Republican/Nationalism.

So the vast majority of people in the republic, including myself. I think I'll wear that name with pride. Sorta like loyalist's calling nationalists fenians and it being some sort of insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Adams needs to stand down. Whatever anyone thinks of him (personally i think he's scum), there's currently no proof to convict. But i suspect on a political level the guy is doing huge damage to his party. Today ive spoke to 3 mates who are SF voters but have decided that while GA is on board, they arent. Whatever the reason for the timing of this surfacing, it's left a sick taste in their mouth in all matters SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Adams needs to stand down. Whatever anyone thinks of him (personally i think he's scum), there's currently no proof to convict. But i suspect on a political level the guy is doing huge damage to his party. Today ive spoke to 3 mates who are SF voters but have decided that while GA is on board, they arent. Whatever the reason for the timing of this surfacing, it's left a sick taste in their mouth in all matters SF.

Why should he stand down? has he been found guilty of something? not much of a leader if he resigns over this.

As for your ''mates'' they would want to evaluate what ''support'' means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

you have ya:pac::pac:

all of a sudden they have developed issues with adams...over being arrested and questioned they released without charge over long standing allegations:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    what next they take a dislike to SF members wearing easter lily commerating PIRA members:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement