Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Adams needs to stand down. Whatever anyone thinks of him (personally i think he's scum), there's currently no proof to convict. But i suspect on a political level the guy is doing huge damage to his party. Today ive spoke to 3 mates who are SF voters but have decided that while GA is on board, they arent. Whatever the reason for the timing of this surfacing, it's left a sick taste in their mouth in all matters SF.

How many days were they SF supporters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Nodin wrote: »

Hint: it never happened:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Sorta like loyalist's calling nationalists fenians and it being some sort of insult.

More like a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

yis all FG voters lads, ye?
    all of a sudden they have developed issues with adams...over being arrested and questioned they released without charge over long standing allegationsrolleyes.pngrolleyes.png
    what next they take a dislike to SF members wearing easter lily commerating PIRA members

no not all of a sudden, this made their decision for them. and its a shame as i wont vote FF, FG, labour but i wont vote SF either because of adams.

few years.. but ill let them know that their political opinions dont matter much cause they werent on the roof in 1916. they may cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Gibson is a Protestant church minister. He's supposed to be a reverend. How very Christian of him. :pac:

He's not a christian. People who wish people dead aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I agree that Adams needs to stand down.

The revelations about the cover up of his brother's misdeeds and his frankly disgusting actions (reporting her mother for neglect, getting his brother a job in a youth club) hurt his image badly.

Urging people to start reporting crimes to the PSNI and then MMcG threatening to start shenanigans over policing because of his arrest, Adams warning Michael McConville of a backlash and Bobby Storey threatening Michael McConville over his sister's threats to reveal the names is pure hypocrisy.

Blathering on about "dark forces" after handing himself in for questioning, and complaining about a "sustained, malicious, untruthful campaign" when he lied about knowing the fate of Jean McConville for 27 years is also rank hypocrisy. Especially since the republican movement put the rumour about that she'd abandoned her children for a man for years.

"I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" is such a blatant lie that I'm actually impressed that he had the stones to say it. Next he'll be saying he's never had a beard.

I'm surprised at people saying they think better of him after that press conference. How could you listen to "I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" and think "Oh yes, this is a principled man."?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

This may sound like an innocent statement but if GA was in any way linked to murder of Jean McConville or any other person would the British gov and RUC not have plenty of opportunity years ago to do something about it? You know internment and all that!.
    Some comments here by "Proud Irish" people disgust me.
    The trouble in NI had a high fatality rate,1 in 500 people killed mostly by British Army. The only terrorist on this island was British Army. UVF and IVF were nothing more than gangsters hiding behind the remit " We are here to keep NI in the UK". IRA had to do something to stop discrimination against Nationalist.
    The government down south were to frightened to do anything mainly because the arm of the British gov was well ant truly up their arse.

few years.. but ill let them know that their political opinions dont matter much cause they werent on the roof in 1916. they may cry.

The accusations have been around for years. If its starting to bother them now, its more than a little odd.

yis all FG voters lads, ye?

no not all of a sudden, this made their decision for them. and its a shame as i would rather vote SF than FF, FG, labour but i wont vote SF either because of adams.

this made the decision for them??:pac:
    why will you not vote over adams???

are they aware that its not that awlful long ago SF leaders were regulary hauled in for questioning like weekly bases...if they getting in a huff over adams being arrested and questioned god help them...do they remember the 80s where being associated with SF was a arrestable offence weekly...the gaurds used regulary come into the glass factory down here aand take away SFers for questioning on a regular bases and in other jobs...they used to hound them (a very wrong thing to do...political policing effectively)...now one gets arrested and they throw arms up in the air and say no more
    you'll have to excuse me if I fear you are lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Sometimes I wonder if some people who live on this Island understand history of it.

What happened J McConville was wrong, like so many acts of violence on both sides.

The very people who want to move on in these threads and call the shinners knuckledraggers are always the ones who want to punish them for things they seem to have so little knolledge of.

I am sure some of the ''Proud'' Irish people here if alive during the 1916 rising would have been the ones spitting on the rebels as they where dragged half dead through the streets of Dublin.

Probably the same ass holes who sing rebel songs after a few jars.

only voted for one SF candidate before but that's gonna change now.

I would not underestimate the influence GA has had on lasting peace in the six counties.

Rather than focus on one wrongful disgusting death during the troubles we should concentrate on the many hundreds if not thousands that have been saved since peace was brokered.

Or if you want to look for injustice, torture, the deaths of innocent men, women and children then look no further than the last 10 years and see how many have met they're maker at the hands of the British army in foreign lands.
    Just because we seek justice for individual killings does not make us anti-peace process.

Nodin wrote: »
    The accusations have been around for years. If its starting to bother them now, its more than a little odd.

voting SF for them was only a recent (last election) and local politics thing. after a while they started learning more about stuff that they didnt like. they knew of the troubles but the good friday agreement kinda makes it all that bit more palatable (not exactly the appropriate word but you get what i mean).

you'd be surprised how many people werent fully aware of the current adams stories. all was fairly quiet on that front for a long time, its only recently in the public spotlight again.

The revelations about the cover up of his brother's misdeeds and his frankly disgusting actions (reporting her mother for neglect, getting his brother a job in a youth club) hurt his image badly.

Urging people to start reporting crimes to the PSNI and then MMcG threatening to start shenanigans over policing because of his arrest, Adams warning Michael McConville of a backlash and Bobby Storey threatening Michael McConville over his sister's threats to reveal the names is pure hypocrisy.

Blathering on about "dark forces" after handing himself in for questioning, and complaining about a "sustained, malicious, untruthful campaign" when he lied about knowing the fate of Jean McConville for 27 years is also rank hypocrisy. Especially since the republican movement put the rumour about that she'd abandoned her children for a man for years.

"I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" is such a blatant lie that I'm actually impressed that he had the stones to say it. Next he'll be saying he's never had a beard.

I'm surprised at people saying they think better of him after that press conference. How could you listen to "I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" and think "Oh yes, this is a principled man."?

you are aware he's allowed not to imcriminate himself...how people can never get this is beyond me:confused::confused:

you'll have to excuse me if I fear you are lying.

and you can excuse me if i dont particularly care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Because whether you like it or not, agree with it or not or think about it or not the fact remains it was a dirty war full of dirty players, Nationalists, unionist, the british establishment our Irish government, they all have secrets, they all have guilt and above all else they all have blood on they're hands.

If they want to investigate the past then let them investigate it properly and not pick and choose.

Picking and choosing should be left in the past.

But they will never investigate all atrocities and you know the reason why.

you are aware he's allowed not to imcriminate himself...how people can never get this is beyond me:confused::confused:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Mine is that he has denied for years ever having been in the IRA, having had anything to do with the IRA, even denied that SF was the political wing of the IRA, and now he's saying "I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" as if we're all supposed to forget 40-some years of denial.

voting SF for them was only a recent (last election) and local politics thing. after a while they started learning more about stuff that they didnt like. they knew of the troubles but the good friday agreement kinda makes it all that bit more palatable (not exactly the correct word but you get what i mean).

you'd be surprised how many people werent fully aware of the current adams stories. all was fairly quiet on that front for a long time, its only recently in the public spotlight again.

How can your friends vote when its as plain as day they cant read?

Because whether you like it or not, agree with it or not or think about it or not the fact remains it was a dirty war full of dirty players, Nationalists, unionist, the british establishment our Irish government, they all have secrets, they all have guilt and above all else they all have blood on they're hands.

I'm not talking about the blood on his hands. I'm talking about his blatant dishonesty.

i tend not to bother conversing with testicles. sorry.

Mine is that he has denied for years ever having been in the IRA, having had anything to do with the IRA, even denied that SF was the political wing of the IRA, and now he's saying "I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" as if we're all supposed to forget 40-some years of denial.

since when have SF ever denied they where the political wing of the IRA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Zed Bank wrote: »
    What is a "shinnerbot" ?

A person who vehemently defends every charge against Sinn Fein no matter what evidence is put before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

voting SF for them was only a recent (last election) and local politics thing. after a while they started learning more about stuff that they didnt like. they knew of the troubles but the good friday agreement kinda makes it all that bit more palatable (not exactly the correct word but you get what i mean).

I really don't think anybody could possibly believe that. The dogs on the street know he was "associated" with the IRA. It's like somebody discovering that Mandela was ANC and being shocked.

Me. I wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein. For me there is nobody to vote for. I would vote for a non- corrupt centrist party but there is none. Having no time for SF doesn't mean this doesn't leave a funny taste in my mouth. Of course GA was associated with the IRA. He could have been arrested on that suspicion in any of the last 30 years but he wasn't. That was because the Britush didn't want to - they needed him to bring the peace. This seems related to the euro elections down here.

I'm not talking about the blood on his hands. I'm talking about his blatant dishonesty.

what dishonesty though? he says he was never in the IRA and from what I know no one has proof he was, it explains why he has never been prosecuted for it, unless you have proof he is or was in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As i posted yesterday a person who lives a lie for so long eventually believe the lie and would never be capable of telling the truth ,

Even if Adams ever came out and actually admitted he was in the ira and either killed or had others killed on his behalf would it actually change anything ,
    A lot out people out there and on here wouldn't say a bad word against him,

Labour and FG all made election Promise's most of which were broke ,
    SF will do the exact same there certainly not the great white hope some think they are ,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Adams needs to stand down.

no he doesn't, he hasn't done anything wrong and is guilty of nothing
    Whatever anyone thinks of him (personally i think he's scum)

how is he scum? oh i see, its just you being upset about the fact he's a republican and that theirs no evidence to convict him of anything
    there's currently no evidence or proof to convict.

exactly, no evidence, no proof, no nothing
    i suspect on a political level the guy is doing huge damage to his party.

how, questioned, released, thats all.
    Today ive spoke to 3 mates who are SF voters but have decided that while GA is on board, they arent.

so what, they will vote for FF or fg? their obviously not real supporters of SF
    Whatever the reason for the timing of this surfacing, it's left a sick taste in their mouth in all matters SF.

oh? yeah, someone being questioned then released means a sick taste in someones mouth, i suspect as i said their not real supporters of SF

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Gatling wrote: »
    As i posted yesterday a person who lives a lie for so long eventually believe the lie and would never be capable of telling the truth ,

Even if Adams ever came out and actually admitted he was in the ira and either killed or had others killed on his behalf would it actually change anything ,
    A lot out people out there and on here wouldn't say a bad word against him

You obviously have proof he was in the IRA so why not produce it? or is rumour now a means to conviction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

i tend not to bother conversing with testicles. sorry.

Sorry that was funny...

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Just because we seek justice for individual killings does not make us anti-peace process.

S0 one murder is more important than another? isn't equality central to the peace process?

I really don't think anybody could possibly believe that. The dogs on the street know he was "associated" with the IRA. It's like somebody discovering that Mandela was ANC and being shocked.

nobody said they didnt know he was associated! but like a lot of people out there they always thought adams was sinn fein and just that. as far as they were concerned he'd always denied IRA involvement and never looked any deeper into it. why would they, the trouble didnt exactly affect our lives in the south.

now with recent allegations resurfacing they decided to read more about it as they were voting sinn fein. they decided that they think adam's is lying. now they wont vote SF.

i find it quite bizarre that a few people are so interested in a few lads voting choices. is that converation really better than the original topic? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

what dishonesty though? he says he was never in the IRA and from what I know no one has proof he was, it explains why he has never been prosecuted for it, unless you have proof he is or was in it?
    short of a membership card/chief of staff turning informer this would be impossible to prove...unless they went to the highly suspect SCC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement