Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

To give an example of why this may have been influenced by the Irish government rather than the British - peter hain in the telegraph says if they go after GA they have to go after the Britush soldiers on Bloody Sunday.

That's a former British secretary for NI calling this unwise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northernireland/10807922/Bloody-Sunday-can-now-expect-arrest-in-wake-of-Gerry-Adams-case-warns-Peter-Hain.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You obviously have proof he was in the IRA so why not produce it? or is rumour now a means to conviction?

Did I say he was in the IRA,

I said even if he did admit.

I'm didn't say I can prove gerrys a ira member/ killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

voting SF for them was only a recent (last election) and local politics thing. after a while they started learning more about stuff that they didnt like. they knew of the troubles but the good friday agreement kinda makes it all that bit more palatable (not exactly the appropriate word but you get what i mean).

you'd be surprised how many people werent fully aware of the current adams stories. all was fairly quiet on that front for a long time, its only recently in the public spotlight again.

Well theres the "Adams stories" , the parties support for the armed struggle, the martin mcguinness stories, the Alex Maskey stories, the Sean Murray stories, the Jennifer McCann stories, the Martin Ferris stories, the Dessie Ellis stories, the Rita O Hare stories........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

nobody said they didnt know he was associated! but like a lot of people out there they always thought adams was sinn fein and just that. as far as they were concerned he'd always denied IRA involvement and never looked any deeper into it. why would they, the trouble didnt exactly affect our lives in the south.

now with recent allegations resurfacing they decided to read more about it as they were voting sinn fein. they decided that they think adam's is lying. now they wont vote SF.

i find it quite bizarre that a few people are so interested in a few lads voting choices. is that converation really better than the original topic? :rolleyes:

Your story is bizarre. Sinn Fein supporters who thought neither Sinn Fein nor GA had anything to do with the IRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Gatling wrote: »
    Did I say he was in the IRA,

I said even if he did admit.

I'm didn't say I can prove gerrys a ira member/ killer

As i posted yesterday a person who lives a lie for so long eventually believe the lie and would never be capable of telling the truth ,

You implied it at least have the balls to say what you really mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

nobody said they didnt know he was associated! but like a lot of people out there they always thought adams was sinn fein and just that. as far as they were concerned he'd always denied IRA involvement and never looked any deeper into it. why would they, the trouble didnt exactly affect our lives in the south.

now with recent allegations resurfacing they decided to read more about it as they were voting sinn fein. they decided that they think adam's is lying. now they wont vote SF.

i find it quite bizarre that a few people are so interested in a few lads voting choices. is that converation really better than the original topic? :rolleyes:

if you can find three people who believed that...let me know as I have never heard such naiveity in all my life...in much the same way as no one believes McGuiness left the ira in for good 1974

To give an example of why this may have been influenced by the Irish government rather than the British - peter hain in the telegraph says if they go after GA they have to go after the Britush soldiers on Bloody Sunday.

That's a former British secretary for NI calling this unwise.

Not really they can pick and choose what they investigate, some may not be in the public best interests, whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

what dishonesty though? he says he was never in the IRA and from what I know no one has proof he was, it explains why he has never been prosecuted for it, unless you have proof he is or was in it?

And now he's saying he never dissociated himself from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Your story is bizarre. Sinn Fein supporters who thought neither Sinn Fein nor GA had anything to do with the IRA.

yea, cause thats what was said. well done you. if you hadnt felt the need to jump right in and barate me after reading my post, you could have saved yourself the energy and read this a few posts later.
    nobody said they didnt know he was associated! but like a lot of people out there they always thought adams was sinn fein and just that. as far as they were concerned he'd always denied IRA involvement and never looked any deeper into it

but do carry on.

And now he's saying he never dissociated himself from it.
    Yeah so what? lots of people who supported the IRA where not in the IRA so whats your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

if you can find three people who believed that...let me know as I have never heard such naiveity in all my life...
    I would find it something of a challenge to believe that too (not out of the question though)

But surely that puts a bit of a dampener on the conspiracy theory that Enda and David asked the nice policemen to lift Gerry in order to do SF some damage?

If there are no new rumours that surround Adams that everyone doesn't already know about how was this damage to SF going to manifest itself?

if you can find three people who believed that...let me know as I have never heard such naiveity in all my life...in much the same way as no one believes McGuiness left the ira in for good 1974

mary lou and the rest of the party.. surely they arent lying? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You obviously have proof he was in the IRA so why not produce it? or is rumour now a means to conviction?

lol wut

Yeah so what? lots of people who supported the IRA where not in the IRA so whats your point?

His dishonesty. Please try to keep up.

Mylefttesticle, for one.

I would find it something of a challenge to believe that too (not out of the question though)

But surely that puts a bit of a dampener on the conspiracy theory that Enda and David asked the nice policemen to lift Gerry in order to do SF some damage?

If there are no new rumours that surround Adams that everyone doesn't already know about how was this damage to SF going to manifest itself?

exactly!

seems redundant to tell people what they supposedly already know...

His dishonesty. Please try to keep up.

Mylefttesticle, for one.

What Dishonesty though? Thinking someone was part of something does not mean they were.

Keep up.

Our Year wrote: »
    lol wut

What?

mary lou and the rest of the party.. surely they arent lying? :eek::eek::eek:

Hint: ALL politians lie...esp when it comes to incriminating themselves
    ill let you into a secret...a lot in SF are incredibilly proud of a lot of PIRA actions and feel its hypocrital to critize dissents and only say it to keep peace process online
    this doesn't mean they want return to dark days...but many have lost family members to troubles...some on active service they will never be ashamed of it...and there are many within its ranks that could just as easily be brought in at anytime for questioning...its just it wouldn't be as high profile as adams so little effect at election time;)

What Dishonesty though? Thinking someone was part of something does not mean they were.
    The revelations about the cover up of his brother's misdeeds and his frankly disgusting actions (reporting her mother for neglect, getting his brother a job in a youth club) hurt his image badly.

Urging people to start reporting crimes to the PSNI and then MMcG threatening to start shenanigans over policing because of his arrest, Adams warning Michael McConville of a backlash and Bobby Storey threatening Michael McConville over his sister's threats to reveal the names is pure hypocrisy.

Blathering on about "dark forces" after handing himself in for questioning, and complaining about a "sustained, malicious, untruthful campaign" when he lied about knowing the fate of Jean McConville for 27 years is also rank hypocrisy. Especially since the republican movement put the rumour about that she'd abandoned her children for a man for years.

"I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" is such a blatant lie that I'm actually impressed that he had the stones to say it. Next he'll be saying he's never had a beard.

I'm surprised at people saying they think better of him after that press conference. How could you listen to "I have never dissociated myself from the IRA" and think "Oh yes, this is a principled man."?

Keep up.

Aww, wee lamb.

Hint: ALL politians lie...esp when it comes to incriminating themselves
    ill let you into a secret...a lot in SF are incredibilly proud of a lot of PIRA actions and feel its hypocrital to critize dissents and only say it to keep peace process online

im well aware, my shock was mock ;)

i find it laughable when i hear mary lou standing up and proclaiming his non-involvement. but i aint the courts.

• Advertisement

Aww, wee lamb.

I fail to see the point your making?

So he was involved in what happened to J McConville?

He was in the IRA?

Aww, wee lamb.

he could hardly go to the RUC about his brother though in all fairness...given there pastime of helping loyalists to kill republicans

though putting his brother into youth centre was beyond contempt.

he could hardly go to the RUC about his brother though in all fairness...given there pastime of helping loyalists to kill republicans

though putting his brother into youth centre was beyond contempt.

Low act alright he should have reported his brother as soon as he knew, it is shameful.

Low act alright he should have reported his brother as soon as he knew, it is shameful.

to who??
    the daughter went to the RUC and they didn't show any interest...only in recruiting her as an informer...anther civilan to carry out there dirty work is all they were after

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He shouldn't have had to go to police anyway. The victim did on various occasions and they were not interested in helping her... they were more interested in asking questions about Gerry.

to who??
    the daughter went to the RUC and they didn't show any interest...only in recruiting her as an informer...anther civilan to carry out there dirty work is all they were after

Does not matter, he is a public representative and he should have had it on record that he reported it.

I fail to see the point your making?

Yes, we know. Even though the point has been pointed out to you several times.

Do feel free to supplement your response to this with more "are you saying he's in the RA/ordered the death of Jean McConville" questions that are irrelevant to the point I was making, though.

Fair enough in 2000 when Liam confessed to him, but in 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What?

Are you claiming that Gerry wasn't in the IRA? Your credibility is shooting through the roof.

Pull the other one love.

Yes, we know. Even though the point has been pointed out to you several times.

Do feel free to supplement your response to this with more "are you saying he's in the RA/ordered the death of Jean McConville" questions that are irrelevant to the point I was making, though.

Fair enough in 2000 when Liam confessed to him, but in 2007?

For some reason you just don't want to say what you mean, sounds terribly familiar.

• Advertisement

Our Year wrote: »
    Are you claiming that Gerry wasn't in the IRA? Your credibility is shooting through the roof.

Pull the other one love.

I go by facts, has he been convicted of being in the IRA? after all these years you would think they would have enough evidence to convict him for being part of an illegal organisation.

But what do I know, I am only a little lamb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement