Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Does not matter, he is a public representative and he should have had it on record that he reported it.

walk into an RUC station to be potentially killed/start process to be set up to be killed.....
    Yes, we know. Even though the point has been pointed out to you several times.

Do feel free to supplement your response to this with more "are you saying he's in the RA/ordered the death of Jean McConville" questions that are irrelevant to the point I was making, though.

Fair enough in 2000 when Liam confessed to him, but in 2007?

as someone who still has grave concerns over psni...I wouldn't blame him...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

It seems a little bizarre that they would charge Gerry Adams with IRA membership after all this time
    Why now?

I go by facts, has he been convicted of being in the IRA? after all these years you would think they would have enough evidence to convict him for being part of an illegal organisation.

But what do I know, I am only a little lamb.

you do know he could be convicted in the south on the word of a guard...setting yourself up for a big fall here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

I go by facts, has he been convicted of being in the IRA? after all these years you would think they would have enough evidence to convict him for being part of an illegal organisation.

But what do I know, I am only a little lamb.

but yet you find it hard to believe a few of my mates thought he was sinn fein only.

you are more enigma than testicle my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

It is truly amazing that most of the posters on here, and other anti SF sites are so ignorant about what happened in the last 40 years. Were they sitting on the floor in front of the fire while there well healed dad told them what was happening.
    Do not judge what happened 40 years ago in today's terms. The powerful clowns closed their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure he knows someone who could have dealth with his brother if he didn't trust the psni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

walk into an RUC station to be potentially killed/start process to be set up to be killed.....

as someone who still has grave concerns over psni...I wouldn't blame him...

Doesn't matter, he should have had it on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

Whatever about the early years it is quite clear that the British have had no appetite in the last 20 years to do so. It is quite clear that both the British and Irish governments are concerned about potentially major ripples in NI should Adams be charged. I suspect they would have much preferred if had never even been arrested.

Which again indicates that this was a policing decision and not a political one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

you do know he could be convicted in the south on the word of a guard...setting yourself up for a big fall here

The question has always been asked is why wasn't he ?

Doesn't matter, he should have had it on record.

not much good putting it on record when the daughter went about it and they were only interested in recruiting her as informer:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

but yet you find it hard to believe a few of my mates thought he was sinn fein only.

you are more enigma than testicle my friend.

And here you are talking to a bollox.

And here you are talking to a bollox.

and i tend not to. my bad.

realies wrote: »
    The question has always been asked is why wasn't he ?

the prevailing view being that he was somewhat of an individual who political business can be done with and to remove him from the top for an easy conviction would leave more militarily/ruthless individuals to rise to the top...thus setting off a new higher intensity wave of violence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

It is truly amazing that most of the posters on here, and other anti SF sites are so ignorant about what happened in the last 40 years. Were they sitting on the floor in front of the fire while there well healed dad told them what was happening.
    Do not judge what happened 40 years ago in today's terms. The powerful clowns closed their eyes.

People seem willing to judge situations they have no clue about
    Unless they lived in the North during the troubles they have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

For some reason you just don't want to say what you mean, sounds terribly familiar.

Ok, I'll try once more.

Adams denied being in the IRA for decades. Then yesterday he said "I have never dissociated myself from the IRA".

If you still can't see the dissonance there then I don't know what to tell you.

It doesn't matter what they tried to do and if they wanted GA killed they could have done it anytime over the last 40 years, he is alive for a reason.

People seem willing to judge situations they have no clue about
    Unless they lived in the North during the troubles they have no idea

Genuine question (because i agree that most of us have no idea)

why do northern politics always end up down here? in reality we have no vote up there but the politics remain an integral part of political arguments in the south.

its a bizarre situation.

Ok, I'll try once more.

And as I said the majority of people who supported the IRA and who did not dissociate themselves from the IRA where in fact not members of the IRA.

In plainer terms so you can understand, I support shamrock rovers but I don't play with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Pre-troubles NI was basically an apartheid state with a Protestant ruling class. If you were a Catholic/Nationalist you were a second class citizen in every respect.
    Why on earth would people not want to fight such a regime :confused:

Of course, but the SF/IRA control, manipulation and repression of 'their own community' was and is not much better.

Genuine question (because i agree that most of us have no idea)

why do northern politics always end up down here? in reality we have no vote up there but the politics remain an integral part of political arguments in the south.

its a bizarre situation.

Because Irish citizens live up there and Irish citizens live down here and we are all Irish citizens.

• Advertisement

Because Irish citizens live up there and Irish citizens live down here and we are all Irish citizens.

but it enters a political arena where it has no real place as we have zero say in the running of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

And as I said the majority of people who supported the IRA and who did not dissociate themselves from the IRA where in fact not members of the IRA.

I figured you didn't know what that word meant, which is why I linked a definition for you.

I don't know what you think you're achieving by being disingenuous but I can tell you, I can feel myself dropping IQ points just from trying to explain simple concepts to you. I'm done with this, now. Have a great night. :)

Zed Bank wrote: »
    What is a "shinnerbot" ?

A person who thinks it was ok to kill innocent women and children and that it took brave men to hide bombs among women and children out shopping.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The PIRA were a symptom. Sectarian Unionism underpinned by the British was the disease.

And SF/IRA just took over repression manipulation and control of their own community

I figured you didn't know what that word meant, which is why I linked a definition for you.

I don't know what you think you're achieving by being disingenuous but I can tell you, I can feel myself dropping IQ points just from trying to explain simple concepts to you. I'm done with this, now. Have a great night. :)

Cool you too

I am also glad I did not have to stoop to your level by insulting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

ryan101 wrote: »
    A person who thinks it was ok to kill innocent women and children and that it took brave men to hide bombs among women and children out shopping.

Could you give me an idea what age group you are in. Or are you doing the leaving cert this year.

but it enters a political arena where it has no real place as we have zero say in the running of the country.

We have some say as our consulate is obliged to help all citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

But what do I know

I drew the same conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Have a read of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

• Advertisement

Our Year wrote: »
    I drew the same conclusion.

HaHA well what do you know, number 19?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement