Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

P_1 wrote: »
    Cheers, I thought that the police of country A arresting a member of country B's parliament might have caused some legal and/or diplomatic issues but I'd imagine that Adams is one of the more special cases.

Parliamentarians aren't in the same sort of category as diplomats, who're formally in other countries under a different class of passport. I think that politicians making "official visits", acting in their official capacities under the direct invitation of the host country are in a vaguely similar position, but I'm not quite sure of the niceties of that. But if you get elected to the Italian senate then try to skip out on a restaurant bill in Waterford, there's no reason not to expect to get arrested for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

RayM wrote: »
    Very good at attaching themselves to various campaigns and causes and getting their faces in local papers, but little else. A bunch of complete chancers, preying on poorly educated, historically illiterate imbeciles.

Here's a Tumblr blog, full of photographs of a Sinn Fein councillor standing beside stuff, looking annoyed. Pretty much sums up the entire work of their representatives.

Their economic policies are genuinely laughable and child-like.

To be fair, i suppose they don't know how to deal with funding issues that don't get sorted out by US benefactors who don't understand what's going on fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

I guess sub-judice only kicks in if GA is charged?!

Get a grip of yourselves folks - there's a political reason behind his arrest...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

rockbeast wrote: »

Get a grip of yourselves folks - there's a political reason behind his arrest...

No its about a murder of an innocent mother of 10 kids not politics don't think enda organised this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

And the reliable evidence is .......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The Aussie wrote: »
    By bringing in other cases to dilute this one

I wasn't trying to 'dilute it', if anything anti-Republican neurotics try to magnify it. I was simply highlighting that killing informants, collaborators, spies is an aspect of conflict and was not unique to the troubles.

And the reliable evidence is .......

I get the feeling it involves something called the Boston project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Enlighten us.

To be fair, i suppose they don't know how to deal with funding issues that don't get sorted out by US benefactors who don't understand what's going on fully.

That's extremely naive. Any effective democracy needs an efficient and effective contrarian party. Obviously SF are getting too close to revealing something...in the same week that certain ex-bankers walked free - in the run up to local elections - quelle surprise at the timing of this....

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to 'dilute it', if anything anti-Republican neurotics try to magnify it. I was simply highlighting that killing informants, collaborators, spies is an aspect of conflict and was not unique to the troubles.

Jean mcconville wasn't an informed or collaborator

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Enlighten us.

A fear of the results that will be forthcoming in the local elections.

Conspiracy theories are hilarious.

Gatling wrote: »
    I get the feeling it involves something called the Boston project

Really? tell me more ....

Conspiracy theories are hilarious.

Great argument

Really? tell me more ....

Look it up

Look it up

Oh yeah its the thing with the recording of some people with gripes.

Case closed.

I wasn't trying to 'dilute it', if anything anti-Republican neurotics try to magnify it.

Which is in effect to concede the point being made, just with the flat assertion that you're not "down-sizing", you're "right-sizing" by assuming your own perspective to be correct (without bothering to argue for it). And of course, by imputing mental illness to anyone with a different viewpoint. Classy.

As opposed to the economic policies that FF (FG were offering a turbo-charged version of FF's policies) that essentially bankrupted the nation?

Amused.
    Karl Stein.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Look it up

If you're going to mention something, however vaguely, you should be backing it up.

Obviously SF are getting too close to revealing something...in the same week that certain ex-bankers walked free - in the run up to local elections - quelle surprise at the timing of this....

SF couldn't find their hole with two hands and a map. The are the herp derp party of the contraian-for-the-sake-of-it buffoons.

They don't have any evidence on anything.

• Advertisement

Great argument

Wasn't an argument, was an observation.

Wasn't an argument, was an observation.

High-5

As opposed to the economic policies that FF (FG were offering a turbo-charged version of FF's policies) that essentially bankrupted the nation?

Amused.
    Karl Stein.

"These guys were wrong so it must mean that these other guys who haven't run anything other than a terrorist faction are right"

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you're going to mention something, however vaguely, you should be backing it up.

We will have to wait and see won't we ,

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Which is in effect to concede the point being made, just with the flat assertion that you're not "down-sizing", you're "right-sizing" by assuming your own perspective to be correct (without bothering to argue for it).

There were over 3000 people killed in the course of the conflict. I'm confident that if you asked people on the street if they could name anyone killed in the troubles the vast majority would only be able to name two or three killings, all carried out by the PIRA - that is not by happenstance.

Jean McConville's killing, gruesome as it was, is most certainly magnified in an attempt to garner political capital.
    And of course, by imputing mental illness to anyone with a different viewpoint.

In my view those who attempt to stigmatise and silence us who are sympathetic to Nationalists and Republicans by attributing a hive mind (see: Shinnerbot*) to our views deserve little else.

*I see that you thanked that post. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Adams was the one to go see the PSNI. No political conspiracy there.

Actually there is. But it on Adams part, to galvanise his party's support base. In terms of politics it's a genius move.

That's extremely naive. Any effective democracy needs an efficient and effective contrarian party. Obviously SF are getting too close to revealing something...in the same week that certain ex-bankers walked free - in the run up to local elections - quelle surprise at the timing of this....

I apologise in advance if I've about to upset any Shinnerbots with Partitionist Thinking(TM), but you do realize that the banking trial was in the republic, and the PSNI's jurisdiction is the six counties?

For this particular conspiracy theory to be much of a runner, you'd have to assume such high-level secret north-south cooperation that it'd be practically doing the reunification agenda's work for them.

There were over 3000 people killed in the course of the conflict. I'm confident that if you asked people on the street if they could name anyone killed in the troubles the vast majority would only be able to name two or three killings, all carried out by the PIRA - that is not by happenstance.

Jean McConville's killing, gruesome as it was, is most certainly magnified in an attempt to garner political capital..

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that most people were disgusted by those amazing, heroic freedom fighters murdering innocent people on our behalf in a "war" that the majority in the Republic had no interest in.

It was all about winning votes, even when SF were a non-entity down here.

"These guys were wrong so it must mean that these other guys who haven't run anything other than a terrorist faction are right"

If you're going to quote me you could try addressing the points I make instead of rambling on about your own preconceived notions.

• Advertisement

In my view those who attempt to stigmatise and silence us who are sympathetic to Nationalists and Republicans by attributing a hive mind (see: Shinnerbot*) to our views deserve little else.

Are you going to try to argue that "Shinnerbot" is somehow a more denigrating, "silencing" term than "neurotic"? Or is this once again all based on the assumption that because you're stigmatising in a "good cause", it's perfectly all right when you do it?

Genuinely curious as to your rationale here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement