Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

It increased the majority going by the flood of nationalist refugees in the 60s and 70s in counties like louth, monaghan, cavan and donegal
    But it didn’t create the majority. The establish of the NI state did that. And I don’t think nationalists leaving was solely down to the abuses. There was also a decline of unionists in the free state.
    crusher000 wrote: »
    Excuse me but how did you come to that conclusion ? The reasons the Unionists held power for so long was the fact that they used the methods I posted. I never said they were a majority.
    They were and are a majority. You implied that if nationalist had behaved as badly as unionists they would become a majority.

The clear suggestion being that unionists became a majority because they behaved badly. Wrong. There were first a majority and subsequently they behaved badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds to me your in denail.

So there was no internment in the North ? ( yes loyalist too were interned)
    Catholics weren't descriminated against ? ( yes )
    Catholics didn't have a vote ? ( yes they did )

Why then was there a civil rights movement?

History has been re written.

Looks like somebody been trying to rewrite history indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

History is being re-written by you .Name me one person who was prosecuted for their being Catholic, just one!

Hmmm... Catholics may not have been "prosecuted" but they were persecuted for being Catholics. Northern Ireland was defined as a "Protestant State for a Protestant People", after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Internship meant locking up people for an un defined amount of time without being prosecuted or going to court.

Those that were interned were catholic and therefore didn't have to face trial.

I will also look up the court history of Northern Ireland to find a name of someone who was catholic for being convicted because they were catholic ?

catholic v Protestant.xlsx

Gatling wrote: »
    Looks like somebody been trying to rewrite history indeed

Look who has come back. Greetings Gatling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

History is being re-written by you .Name me one person who was prosecuted for their being Catholic, just one!

Plenty were interned for no other (visible) reason other than their religion/political belief during the internment period. Some were subsequently prosecuted in diplock courts. So this could indeed be a valid point.

Meanwhile, there are many many examples of Catholics being prosecuted for nothing but their religion under British rule.

Oliver Cromwell ring a bell to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Meanwhile, there are many many examples of Catholics being prosecuted for nothing but their religion under British rule.

Oliver Cromwell ring a bell to anyone?

What about the Vikings, eh? Eh?

They prosecuted people for being Roman Catholics!

Shhhhh Thor and Odin are watching

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Heathens! :D

Look who has come back. Greetings Gatling.

I never went away ,

But then again is this really me !!!!

• Advertisement

This was the morning in which internment without trial had been introduced, under the 1957 Special Powers Act, into Northern Ireland by its Prime Minister, Brian Faulkner. There had been a list of 450 people to be arrested, but a total of 342 were picked up. All but two were Catholics and nationalists and the remaining two (most notably Ronnie Bunting) were Republican activists. No loyalists were arrested.

Staying with topic Gatling.

I never went away ,

But then again is this really me !!!!

Infraction rebuked .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Internship meant locking up people for an un defined amount of time without being prosecuted or going to court.

Those that were interned were catholic and therefore didn't have to face trial.

I will also look up the court history of Northern Ireland to find a name of someone who was catholic for being convicted because they were catholic ?

catholic v Protestant.xlsx

38% Catholic, 62% protestant.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Since you are the one who made a specific claim that people were prosecuted for their religion, it would be appreciated if you could evidence that or withdraw it.
    I cannot find a single case, nor indeed any evidence that such an offence existed in the criminal law in N.I. from it's inception to today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

in fairness, I think the evidence shows that the application of 'internship' led to young people only losing their liberty for six to nine months ;)

This was the morning in which internment without trial had been introduced, under the 1957 Special Powers Act, into Northern Ireland by its Prime Minister, Brian Faulkner. There had been a list of 450 people to be arrested, but a total of 342 were picked up. All but two were Catholics and nationalists and the remaining two (most notably Ronnie Bunting) were Republican activists. No loyalists were arrested.

Since you are the one who made a specific claim that people were prosecuted for their religion, it would be appreciated if you could evidence that or withdraw it.
    I cannot find a single case, nor indeed any evidence that such an offence existed in the criminal law in N.I. from it's inception to today

Technically you didn't have to be prosecuted to be locked up because as the above act states "internment without trial had been introduced, under the 1957 Special Powers Act" so you were locked up without trial.

Why ? Because you are a catholic.

Operation Demetrius was a British Army operation in Northern Ireland on 9–10 August 1971, during the Troubles. It involved the mass arrest and internment (without trial) of 342 people suspected of being involved with Irish republican paramilitaries (the Provisional IRA and Official IRA), which were waging campaigns against the state. It was proposed by the Northern Ireland Government and approved by the British Government. Armed soldiers launched dawn raids throughout Northern Ireland, sparking four days of violence in which 20 civilians, two Provisional IRA members and two British soldiers were killed. Due mainly to faulty intelligence, many of those arrested were Catholics or Irish nationalists who had no links with republican paramilitaries. Loyalist paramilitaries were also carrying out acts of violence, which were mainly directed against the Catholic and Irish nationalist community, but no loyalists were included in the sweep.[1]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

Fine. But the majority of whom?

The majority in NI? The majority in Ireland (the island)? The majority in the UK and Ireland combined?

You no doubt will say the second of these. But why? It is as arbitrary a choice as any of the others.

That's easy because it's by far the most practical choice & the majority of people in the UK & Ireland (and most likely the world) seem to agree,

I cannot find a single case, nor indeed any evidence that such an offence existed in the criminal law in N.I. from it's inception to today

Technically you didn't have to be prosecuted to be locked up because as the above act states "internment without trial had been introduced, under the 1957 Special Powers Act" so you were locked up without trial.

Why ? Because you are a catholic.

So you are now withdrawing your earlier claim that people were prosecuted because of their religion, consequently your post claiming they were was an attempt to rewrite history.

The term five techniques refers to certain interrogation practices adopted by the Northern Ireland and British governments during Operation Demetrius in the early 1970s. These methods were adopted by the Royal Ulster Constabulary with training and advice regarding their use coming from senior intelligence officials in the United Kingdom Government.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0066cc]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I
    The five techniques were wall-standing, hooding, subjection to noise, deprivation of sleep, and deprivation of food and drink

In case anybody doesn't understand what happened when people were interred. You know I make it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The term five techniques refers to certain interrogation practices adopted by the Northern Ireland and British governments during Operation Demetrius in the early 1970s. These methods were adopted by the Royal Ulster Constabulary with training and advice regarding their use coming from senior intelligence officials in the United Kingdom Government.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0066cc]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I
    The five techniques were wall-standing, hooding, subjection to noise, deprivation of sleep, and deprivation of food and drink

In case anybody doesn't understand what happened when people were interred. You know I make it all up.

Wikipedia:Citation needed
    To ensure that all Wikipedia content is verifiable, anyone may question an un-cited claim by inserting a {{Citation needed}} tag.

Example: 65% of people believe in ghosts.[citation needed]
    Exercise caution before relying upon unsourced claims.
    If you can provide a reliable source for the claim, please be bold and replace the "Citation needed" template with enough information to locate the source. You may leave the copyediting to someone else, or learn more about citing sources on Wikipedia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

So - have ye agreed that there were wrongs committed by both sides yet? Or will ye pursue this 'debate' 'til the death? :P

Talk about the concept of 'tit for tat'! :D

To the Death and beyond ;)

Or when people stop making it up as they go along ,

So you are now withdrawing your earlier claim that people were prosecuted because of their religion, consequently your post claiming they were was an attempt to rewrite history.

No I'm not withdrawing anything. My point is still valid. Show me evidence that they weren't prosecuted because they were catholic. And let's get really silly about things.

Arrested without trial.
    Held without trial. Reason for said arrest and detention without trial because they were catholic.

pros·e·cute

/ˈprɒsthinsp.pngɪˌkyut/ Show Spelled [pros-i-kyoot] Show IPA
    verb (used with object), pros·e·cut·ed, pros·e·cut·ing. 1. Law. a. to institute legal proceedings against (a person).

b. to seek to enforce or obtain by legal process.

c. to conduct criminal proceedings in court against.

Daniel McConnell and Dearbhail McDonald – Published 07 May 2014 02:30 AM
    .indo_survey>.wrap{position:inherit; background:#FFFFFF; display:block;}SENIOR historians at Boston College have sought to distance themselves from the controversial 'Boston Tapes' project, the Irish Independent has learned

A 56 year old man been arrested in co Antrim in connection with the Jean Mcconville murder,

The person in question had previously been detained but was released due to medical grounds

No I'm not withdrawing anything. My point is still valid. Show me evidence that they weren't prosecuted because they were catholic. And let's get really silly about things.

Arrested without trial.
    Held without trial. Reason for said arrest and detention without trial because they were catholic.

pros·e·cute

/ˈprɒsthinsp.pngɪˌkyut/ Show Spelled [pros-i-kyoot] Show IPA
    verb (used with object), pros·e·cut·ed, pros·e·cut·ing. 1. Law. a. to institute legal proceedings against (a person).

b. to seek to enforce or obtain by legal process.

c. to conduct criminal proceedings in court against.

You stated:
    Internment was detention without charge.
    You stated that people were prosecuted(that means faced a criminal charge) for being Catholic.
    You cant have it both ways, either they were prosecuted for being Catholic(no evidence at all of this), or a large number of suspected terrorists were interned and it just happened that they were Catholic (It also just so happened they were male, and white so why not just claim that was the reason they were interned?), so you cannot claim they were interned for being Catholic when quite clearly the reason they were interned was that they were suspected terrorists (albeit on lousy intelligence).
    In the end you are being defeated by your own contradictory posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

A 51 year old man been arrested in co Antrim in connection with the Jean Mcconville murder

Bog saying 56 year old

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0507/615742-jean-mcconville-investigation/

Man held in McConville murder investigation
    PSNI detectives investigating the abduction and murder of Jean McConville in 1972 have arrested a 56-year-old man in Co Antrim.

He is being questioned at the Serious Crime Suite in Antrim police station.

He was originally detained by officers last month but the interview process was halted due to a medical issue arising.

The man presented himself at Antrim police station this morning.

Mrs McConville was dragged from her children in the Divis flats in west Belfast by a gang of up to 12 men and women after being accused of informing to the British army.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Bog saying 56 year old

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0507/615742-jean-mcconville-investigation/

Man held in McConville murder investigation

Typo ,

4 women previously questioned have had files sent to the pps

• Advertisement

You stated:
    Internment was detention without charge.
    You stated that people were prosecuted(that means faced a criminal charge) for being Catholic.
    You cant have it both ways, either they were prosecuted for being Catholic(no evidence at all of this), or a large number of suspected terrorists were interned and it just happened that they were Catholic (It also just so happened they were male, and white so why not just claim that was the reason they were interned?), so you cannot claim they were interned for being Catholic when quite clearly the reason they were interned was that they were suspected terrorists (albeit on lousy intelligence).
    In the end you are being defeated by your own contradictory posts.

many of those arrested were Catholics or Irish nationalists who had no links with republican paramilitaries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement