Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The main stream parties, Gardai, the media, and loads more in this country dread the day SF will be in government in the south. Some might say the timing of this is politically motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I apologise in advance if I've about to upset any Shinnerbots with Partitionist Thinking(TM), but you do realize that the banking trial was in the republic, and the PSNI's jurisdiction is the six counties?

For this particular conspiracy theory to be much of a runner, you'd have to assume such high-level secret north-south cooperation that it'd be practically doing the reunification agenda's work for them.

I realize a lot (I'm apolitical BTW) but I've worked in PR and recently on a non-SF PR campaign plan- for the cash!

The timing's a little bit too suspect on this one for me...

Also, let's not get into cross-border collusion tonight;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I apologise in advance if I've about to upset any Shinnerbots

Ah yes, 'shinnerbot' - the favoured term of the well-poisoning anti-Republican/Nationalist neurotics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

6781 wrote: »
    The main stream parties, Gardai, the media, and loads more in this country dread the day SF will be in government in the south. Some might say the timing of this is politically motivated.

Yes, it's obviously all a giant conspiracy between various different organizations on both sides of the border to make the political wing of the ****ing IRA look bad.

That's clearly the most obvious reason. It's not that St. Gerry has been wishy washy at best and probably has some serious questions to answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

As I just posted in Politics:
    Can I once again, please, point out that I posted this thread BEFORE any of the main media outlets, I posted it without any spin and was honest that it was breaking news and I didn't have all the facts.

• Advertisement

Are you going to try to argue that "Shinnerbot" is somehow a more denigrating, "silencing" term than "neurotic"?

Oh I'm sorry - I haven't learned off the rule book you've conjured just now.. this instant... in your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

rockbeast wrote: »
    The timing's a little bit too suspect on this one for me...
    On the banking trial? Or on the local and European elections? That one at least requires fewer and less outlandish assumptions, as they're happening in the North at the same time.

I'm fairly skeptical, myself, not so much because my opinion of human nature is so high that I don't think there's not people in the PSNI and the British establishment that'd be delighted to shaft SF using something like this, as because my opinion of human nature is so low, and that if someone was doing this premeditatedly it'd all go horribly wrong, leak, and blow up in everyone's face.

Which of course, it might yet at that...

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Oh I'm sorry - haven't learned off the rule book you've conjured just now.. this instant... in your own head.

Eh, pretty sure you're the one that's doing that. "Someone said 'Shinnerbot', therefore 'neurotic' is completely fair game to use on everyone I might have cause to disagree with."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seaneh wrote: »
    As I just posted in Politics:
    Can I once again, please, point out that I posted this thread BEFORE any of the main media outlets, I posted it without any spin and was honest that it was breaking news and I didn't have all the facts.

Which came from media outlets first

From rabble.ie:
    In 1971, the Paras shot dead 10 people in the Ballymurphy Massacre. Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers today ruled out their call for an independent enquiry. If only there was some way of getting the emotional press conference and this travesty of justice off the main news...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/ballymurphy-families-consider-case-30227991.html

• Advertisement

On the banking trial? Or on the local and European elections? That one at least requires fewer and less outlandish assumptions, as they're happening in the North at the same time.

I'm fairly skeptical, myself, not so much because my opinion of human nature is so high that I don't think there's not people in the PSNI and the British establishment that'd be delighted to shaft SF using something like this, as because my opinion of human nature is so low, and that if someone was doing this premeditatedly it'd all go horribly wrong, leak, and blow up in everyone's face.

Which of course, it might yet at that...

Local elections, perhaps?

That's where the groundswell support for SF is rising and this "incident" will only increase it...

We'll see on May 25th where the councils are...

I'm 32, apolitical, never voted, but with such a concerted effort to discredit SF then I'm going to vote for my local SF candidate this time...

If you're going to quote me you could try addressing the points I make

In fairness, we'd have to find one first.

Gatling wrote: »
    Which came from media outlets first

I posted this thread before BBC, RTE or any other media outlet I am currently aware of. I'm not bragging here, I'm just pointing out that I posted it before pretty much every single "trusted" media source, even if only by minutes.

I posted it without spin and without bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's where the groundswell support for SF is rising and this "incident" will only increase it...

I'm 32, apolitical, never voted, but with such a concerted effort to discredit SF then I'm going to vote for my local SF candidate this time...
    That's rather bizarre reasoning.

Eh, pretty sure you're the one that's doing that. "Someone said 'Shinnerbot', therefore 'neurotic' is completely fair game to use on everyone I might have cause to disagree with."

Welcome aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If the country goes broke we have alternative funding ( Gaddafi is gone lads )

Sorry but when you read there election speil ,ohh we will redistribute wealth ,we will tell the EU to sod off and so on ,
    If the country goes broke we will find alternative funds( Gaddafi is dead lads )

Its sounds like the Robert Mugabe books of politics there reading from

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

6781 wrote: »
    Leaving aside that Adams was detained in the UK and not in Ireland don't you think if this was politically motivated it would be timed before an important, general election and not the fairly meaningless local / European ones?

And SF getting in to power would have it's pluses! The "but we are different" aura that some see around them won't be long disappearing! :pac:

That's rather bizarre reasoning.

Why?

As I stated previously stated in this thread, a contrarian opinion is the vital element of a democracy....

I'm being a contrarian.

Suck it up.

If your vote is worthy then your candidate will ascend to a position of influence...

That's the voting system, dude.

I guess sub-judice only kicks in if GA is charged?!

I think it actually formally applies only when the trial itself starts. Hence "under judgement". Don't quote me on that as giving you "legal advice", though. </ObMaple10>

Which isn't to say, this being the UK this is happening in, that some huge array of misc reporting restrictions don't already apply anyway.

* Gerry Adams is an innocent man *

*Say it out loud now and with a Belfast accent:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

He went into the police station voluntarily.

He was always a good Volunteer.

This, of course being a far worse thing than the Irish state, under guidance from FG; spending millions on trying to shut up a woman when she took them to court in Europe.

Enda Kenny, his ministers and advisors; threatened to ruin women who were daring to bring their cases in front of the EU. Why isn't that snivelling little cockring in jail?

And why aren't people calling for that.. considering they're so interested in retrospective justice and all?

OK, two small points:
    Firstly, which case(s) are you referring to? Your description is so vague that (unfortunately) it could refer to far, far too many... If it's the O’Keeffe judgement, note that that was the ECHR, which is a Council of Europe body, not an EU one.

Secondly: whataboutery on a shameless and epic scale.

He went into the police station voluntarily.

He was always a good Volunteer.

My liking of your post in no way condones or condemns the death of anyone. All accused people should / are entitled to their innocence until proven guilty by trial and jury....

PS even then it may transpire that you were innocent 14 years later....

Is he still there? Over 4 hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Are you guys Madsl's little helpers or something?

I have staff now?

Cool.

As I stated previously stated in this thread, a contrarian opinion is the vital element of a democracy....

It is, but you have to have slightly more reasoning behind your vote than that, otherwise you're just relegating yourself to permanent underdog-chasing.

Funnily enough, earlier in the thread you were complaining about Vinny B on this. Vincent is a notorious contrarian himself. If you're going to watch the VB show and take the contrary position to the contrarian, mind you don't accidentally end up spouting orthodoxies by mistake!

And in the end Mandela was saluted off to his heaven as a Freedom Fighter...

Some hypocrites on here - I'm off back to hang out in the rugby forums.

Leaving aside that Adams was detained in the UK and not in Ireland [...]

I realize that post-GFA we're in some sense supposed to acknowledge that the RoI's proper title ("ya little bollix!") is simply "Ireland", but don't be saying things like "Belfast's not in Ireland". Because if you do, the SFers and the Wolfe Tones wing of FF will all explode, and we'll be cleaning up in here for weeks.

It is, but you have to have slightly more reasoning behind your vote than that, otherwise you're just relegating yourself to permanent underdog-chasing.

Funnily enough, earlier in the thread you were complaining about Vinny B on this. Vincent is a notorious contrarian himself. If you're going to watch the VB show and take the contrary position to the contrarian, mind you don't accidentally end up spouting orthodoxies by mistake!

I'm quite aware of all I've typed tonight - IMO VB made a vociferous attack on GA tonight when he had no more information than we do.

Dangerous territory. TV3(solicitors, if they have them) should be busy tonight.

Never voted because I felt it was always the same shower of bastards in control. If there is a chance to get a new shower of bastards in control then I'm good with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

I realize that post-GFA we're in some sense supposed to acknowledge that the RoI's proper title ("ya little bollix!") is simply "Ireland", but don't be saying things like "Belfast's not in Ireland". Because if you do, the SFers and the Wolfe Tones wing of FF will all explode, and we'll be cleaning up in here for weeks.

Duly noted! :) Mind the Shinners here are already rather cross though I am not too sure why? :confused: Perhaps they think this might actually cause them some grief? Personally I doubt if it will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement