Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

alaimacerc wrote: »
    For me, the surprise is that the "don't hit me while I'm holding the peace process baby in my arms!" pass has worn off to the extent as to allow this happening.

The encouraging aspect of this is that the UK politicians didn't feel they had to quash this investigation happening for the obvious political reasons.

The discouraging aspect of this is wondering if they might not be wrong about that.

Of course, it all depends on how far this process gets, and my immediate gut instinct is to guess "not very far at all".

Ironic too as the justice process has sometimes been a one way street, that is, we've (quite rightly ) had SF calling for investigation into every loyalist /British atrocity under the sun but when it comes to Republican ones, people are piously told to "move on" for the sake of peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Any truth in the rumour the bold Gerry has spent the night wrapped in a blanket smearing sh1t on the walls of his cell........:pac:

I wonder if he'll accept breakfast this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Seaneh wrote: »
    SF statement:
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/29746
    Last month Gerry Adams said he was available to meet the PSNI about the Jean McConville case. That meeting is taking place this evening.

Gerry Adams said:

“Last month I said that I was available to meet the PSNI about the Jean McConville case. While I have concerns about the timing, I am voluntarily meeting with the PSNI this evening.

“As a republican leader I have never shirked my responsibility to build the peace. This includes dealing with the difficult issue of victims and their families. Insofar as it is possible I have worked to bring closure to victims and their families who have contacted me. Even though they may not agree, this includes the family of Jean McConville.

“I believe that the killing of Jean McConville and the secret burial of her body was wrong and a grievous injustice to her and her family.

“Well publicised, malicious allegations have been made against me. I reject these.

While I have never disassociated myself from the IRA and I never will, I am innocent of any part in the abduction, killing or burial of Mrs McConville.

“Sinn Féin has signed up to the Haass proposals for dealing with the past. While I also respect the right of families if they wish to seek legal redress there remains a huge onus on the two governments and the political parties to face up to all these issues and to agree a victim centred process which does this.”

ENDS

Interesting, Mr. Adams always denied being a member ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

What I don't get is people questioning the timing - this has been building up ever since the Boston college tapes were released. It's not like it came out of nowhere.

How long can someone be held again before applying for an extension, charging or releasing?

Found answer: https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights/how-long-you-can-be-held-in-custody
    2. How long you can be held in custody
    The police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.
    They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours if you’re suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.
    You can be held without charge for up to 14 days If you’re arrested under the Terrorism Act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What's interesting about that?

Have you any knowledge of Adams role with Sinn Fein etc in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The usual SF spin merchants on this thread are remaining rather quiet.

Makes a difference from the usual shouting down of comments or opinions.

Perhaps they have been told to retire to barracks by their leaders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

How long can someone be held again before applying for an extension, charging or releasing?

Found answer: https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights/how-long-you-can-be-held-in-custody
    2. How long you can be held in custody
    The police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.
    They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours if you’re suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.
    You can be held without charge for up to 14 days If you’re arrested under the Terrorism Act.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The centre of the collective has been removed, they have no instructions on what to say or do.

.......they haven't gone away, you know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gatling wrote: »
    In Adams case I'll personally believe he's Guilty till proven otherwise
    Have you ever done jury service? I certainly hope not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭timtime

vitani wrote: »
    What I don't get is people questioning the timing - this has been building up ever since the Boston college tapes were released. It's not like it came out of nowhere.

isnt there elections coming up this month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

That was the first thing that struck me when I read that statement yesterday. I don't think I ever heard him 'associate' himself with them publicly, but that doesn't admit membership of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The bould theresea villiers picked this day to tell the families of the ballymurphy massacre victims to piss of with their inquiry oddly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Can people be arrested for giving orders in normal criminal trials? Even if that can be proven isn't the murderer the murderer. In law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Bambi wrote: »
    The bould theresea villiers picked this day to tell the families of the ballymurphy massacre victims to piss of with their inquiry oddly enough

Funny how when it comes to Jean McConville we're told to move on and yet some of those people are giving out about the Ballymurphy massacre not having an inquiry. Complete hypocrisy for republicans.

For the record i believe both should be investigated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can people be arrested for giving orders in normal criminal trials? Even if that can be proven isn't the murderer the murderer. In law.
    What ?

You seriously think there could exist a defence based on "I was only giving orders" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

no apologises necessary if was an informer....if you good enough to do it....they must accept the punishment that comes about when your found out

remember passing info to british army that was its worst conduct in NI at the time-1972

*same geos for those killing said informers

I thought I had heard everything. I better not inform on anyone I see breaking the law. Or is it because it was a "war going on".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I'd say Mary Lou is both horrified and doing back flips.

* Shudder * Perish the thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Funny how when it comes to Jean McConville we're told to move on and yet some of those people are giving out about the Ballymurphy massacre not having an inquiry. Complete hypocrisy for republicans.

For the record i believe both should be investigated.

Definetely a big conspiracy taking place. Was Gerry seen on the grass knoll by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Accessory to murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I really don't think so. And don't get me wrong, I would be about as far from an SF supporter as there can be, but if Adams voluntarily presented himself to the authorities it could turn out to be a brilliant move, politically speaking.
    It will galvanise the party's support base. People like rockbeast will actively vote for SF despite being apolitical in the past as a way of 'sticking it to the man'. Add to that the fact that the party faithful are going to be screaming "conspiracy" about this until voting day, thus swaying the minds of a few more anti establishment heads. It's something like this that causes disenfranchised voters to go out and vote, and not in the way that the mainstream party's want them to.

Yes I agree mostly. Although I don't think it's just the party faithful that will be questioning the conspiracy aspect. SF currently riding high in the polls North and South with an election looming, then the authorities make an arrest of the party leader. It is quite easy to see that the timing of this at the very least does raise suspicions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Isn't organizing terrorism a charge also?

What ?

You seriously think there could exist a defence based on "I was only giving orders" ?

I wanna say yes. It was a question though and not a rhetorical one. If the 15 year old who killed that teacher was "ordered" to do it by a classmate would the classmate be culpable of murder.

I don't know. Any case law?

bumper234 wrote: »
    Accessory to murder.

No that would involve helping out - ie giving a gun, getaway car, safe house. Not ordering. I bet there is no accessory law for ordering. However of course there are other laws. If he knew who did it and didn't inform it's conspiracy to pervert justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

timtime wrote: »
    isnt there elections coming up this month?

So you think this should be put on hold until after the elections?

I wanna say yes. It was a question though and not a rhetorical one. If the 15 year old who killed that teacher was "ordered" to do it by a classmate would the classmate be culpable of murder.

It's called conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

No that would involve helping out - ie giving a gun, getaway car, safe house. Not ordering. I bet there is no accessory law for ordering. However of course there are other laws. If he knew who did it and didn't inform it's conspiracy to pervert justice.

Surely it falls under the same piece of legislation that would convict someone for hiring a hitman.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Nuremberg trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Imagine, in all the years of judicial system since the middle ages no-one ever thought of the "he told me so" defence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement