Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you ever done jury service? I certainly hope not!

Yes I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No that would involve helping out - ie giving a gun, getaway car, safe house. Not ordering. I bet there is no accessory law for ordering. However of course there are other laws. If he knew who did it and didn't inform it's conspiracy to pervert justice.

Just having the knowledge of a murder and not reporting it is considered accessory to the fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭timtime

anncoates wrote: »
    Isn't organizing terrorism a charge also?
    or freedom fighting!

timtime wrote: »
    or freedom fighting!

What's does kidnap torture and murder of a mother of 10 come under

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Funny how when it comes to Jean McConville we're told to move on and yet some of those people are giving out about the Ballymurphy massacre not having an inquiry. Complete hypocrisy for republicans.

For the record i believe both should be investigated.

Who told you to move on widdums? :(

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    What's does kidnap torture and murder of a mother of 10 come under

sorry i meant terrorism, in the free state its only freedom fighting if it happens before 1921

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Dear PSNI,
    Please, please, please don't charge Gerry with anything!

All of us right-thinking Irish Citizens need Gerry out and about regularly reminding the electorate of the Shinners murderous actions.

Thanks to Gerry, SF has some managed to remain an electoral irrelevance in the Republic despite the Country going through the worst recession in living memory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wanna say yes. It was a question though and not a rhetorical one. If the 15 year old who killed that teacher was "ordered" to do it by a classmate would the classmate be culpable of murder.

I don't know. Any case law?
    Remember Catherine Nevin ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Nevin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

timtime wrote: »
    or freedom fighting!

You have to win the war for you to become a freedom fighter in history's eyes, which the sinners have yet to do

Dear PSNI,
    Please, please, please don't charge Gerry with anything!

All of us right-thinking Irish Citizens need Gerry out and about regularly reminding the electorate of the Shinners murderous actions.

Thanks to Gerry, SF has some managed to remain an electoral irrelevance in the Republic despite the Country going through the worst recession in living memory.

you must be foaming at the mouth when the government is commemorating the 1916 sinn Fein rising, no right thinking Irish citizen would ingage in that sort of activity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yes I agree mostly. Although I don't think it's just the party faithful that will be questioning the conspiracy aspect. SF currently riding high in the polls North and South with an election looming, then the authorities make an arrest of the party leader. It is quite easy to see that the timing of this at the very least does raise suspicions.

Indeed, the fact that they waited until now to bring him in, even though he volunteered to talk to the PSNI 5 weeks ago, is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

Can people be arrested for giving orders in normal criminal trials? Even if that can be proven isn't the murderer the murderer. In law.

They can, on charges of incitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Indeed, the fact that they waited until now to bring him in, even though he volunteered to talk to the PSNI 5 weeks ago, is telling.

Do you think the police working on this investigation are going to bring someone in for questioning without being fully prepared before hand, especially with such a high profile case ?

Or do you expect them to work at the whim of a resident of another state ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you think the police working on this investigation are going to bring someone in for questioning without being fully prepared before hand, especially with such a high profile case ?

Or do you expect them to work at the whim of a resident of another state ?

The fact that one person has already been charged with aiding and abeting murder in this case already recently would suggest they are well prepared and have there evidence in order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

garp wrote: »
    Nuremberg trials.

Not normal criminal law. Not Irish law. Not British law. Applied to specific crimes related to genocide or mass murder.

stoneill wrote: »
    Imagine, in all the years of judicial system since the middle ages no-one ever thought of the "he told me so" defence.

If you are going to sneer learn to read. I asked about case law for the guy doing the "ordering" not the guy claiming lack of culpability because he was ordered.

macplato wrote: »
    They can, on charges of incitement.

Thank you!

That's what I was looking for not half arsed guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

Thank you!

That's what I was looking for not half arsed guesses.

I know the frustration ;) Glad to be of some help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Gatling wrote: »
    The fact that one person has already been charged with aiding and abeting murder in this case already recently would suggest they are well prepared and have there evidence in order

Agreed. He had a pre arranged q and a them, they wouldn't arrest him without being reasonaably certain they have enough to charge him with at the end of the interview.

It is quite bizarre to think there is a very good chance one of the most prominent politicians of the last 30 odd years might be on remand for murder by tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am somewhat stunned by the reaction of figures such as Mary Lou McDonald. The PSNI is blatantly being undermined by the statements that have been made by various Sinn Féin representatives this morning. I think people should wait and see the outcome of this arrest before making extremely sensitive statements that could undermine public confidence in the police force.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

No it's not. The police decide when they want to arrest a suspect not the suspect. Of course if you're Adams and you think the world revolves around you then you can understand why he thinks he can call the shots (no pun intended)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

The centre of the collective has been removed, they have no instructions on what to say or do.

I think what people should be more concerned about is British police trying to undermine the political process in Ireland.

It's quite scary in fact. A police force with political motives and all.

que pasa wrote: »
    I think what people should be more concerned about is British police trying to undermine the political process in Ireland.

It's quite scary in fact. A police force with political motives and all.

Or maybe they are just arresting a suspect in a murder investigation, so many conspiracy theorists it's just too funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not sure if this will have much of an impact anyway. I just don't think that the majority of Sinn Fein supporters would either believe he's involved or care. Sinn Fein might lose a few votes among the floaters but if anyone has already made up their mind to support them, they do so knowing that their leaders have a very, very murky past.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Or maybe they are just arresting a suspect in a murder investigation, so many conspiracy theorists it's just too funny :D

So you deny the timing of this has anything to do with the elections?

So you deny the timing of this has nothing to do with the elections?

Can you prove it has? Where is your evidence for this allegation?

Can you prove it has? Where is your evidence for this allegation?

The timing of this speaks for itself.

The timing of this speaks for itself.

So no evidence for your accusations then? Colour me surprised:rolleyes:

So no evidence for your accusations then? Colour me surprised:rolleyes:

A bit like what the McConville inquiry is based on; hearsay.

• Advertisement

A bit like what the McConville inquiry is based on; hearsay.

He wasn't arrested for nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement