Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

que pasa wrote: »
    The timing of this speaks for itself.

And nothing to do with the fact that oh you know the case is currently being investigated and has been publicly for the last month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think what people should be more concerned about is British police trying to undermine the political process in Ireland.

It's quite scary in fact. A police force with political motives and all.
    So you deny the timing of this has anything to do with the elections?

So, the former Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead (aka Gerry) is the victim here? - not the woman shot in the head and dumped in an unmarked grave?

Glad that's been cleared up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I prefer to think of it as emitting a signal that only the terminally paranoid and can detect,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Is it possible that the PSNI took the opportunity to arrest him when he was in the juristiction, rather than going through the hullabaloo and publicity of applying for extradition, or tailing him when he next crossed the border and risking a bloodbath when trying to arrest him?

I'm sure his bodyguards wouldn't let them take him without a fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

bumper234 wrote: »
    He wasn't arrested for nothing.

Being arrested doesn't imply guilt.
    VinLieger wrote: »
    And nothing to do with the fact that oh you know the case is currently being investigated and has been publicly for the last month?

A month? Don't make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Being arrested doesn't imply guilt.

A month? Don't make me laugh.

Where did i imply that?

Where did i imply that?

Here:
    He wasn't arrested for nothing.

Here:

That wasn't implying that he was guilty that was stating a fact. He was indeed arrested for a reason that i posted a few posts previous to the one you quoted,
    Or maybe they are just arresting a suspect in a murder investigation, so many conspiracy theorists it's just too funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

I had a great nights sleep last night safe in the knowledge there was one less terrorist walking freely on the streets of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder what he got for his breakfast this morning.

• Advertisement

Wonder what he got for his breakfast this morning.

His cell mate :D

That wasn't implying that he was guilty that was stating a fact. He was indeed arrested for a reason that i posted a few posts previous to the one you quoted,

Which is why I resort to what I originally said, it is politically motivated.

Which is why I resort to what I originally said, it is politically motivated.

Ok i'll ask again

You have evidence for this or are you making this accusation on a "hunch"?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can we unplug the "bots"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

garp wrote: »
    Nuremberg trials.

A farce of make it up as you go along and victor's justice

Gatling wrote: »
    Can we unplug the "bots"

Computer says no :D

A bit like what the McConville inquiry is based on; hearsay.

It's weird when you think about it.

When Gerry was the commander of the Belfast IRA and they were at war, he supposedly never gave orders or the guerilla army of which he had operational command just did what they pleased without his input from above. Like the squad set up to ferret out and kill informers - and killed JMC - in Belfast just kind of magically coalesced by itself one day.

But then he brought the IRA to peace and steered them away from war.

Its funny how he had so little input and clout at some stages and then so much input and clout at others, isn't it?

Ok i'll ask again

You have evidence for this or are you making this accusation on a "hunch"?

The arrest itself is evidence enough.

This what former republican prisoner Anthony McIntyre had to say about the arrest this morning.
    wrote:
    "I don't see what it has to offer," he told the Belfast Telegraph.
    ...............................................................................................
    "But to me the irony of it is Adams from Ballymurphy is arrested the day after the British refuse an inquiry into the mass murder by paratroopers of civilians in Ballymurphy.
    "It's got politics written all over it. It seems to be the British way of rubbing the nationalist narrative into the dirt."

The arrest itself is evidence enough.

So no evidence then, ok;)
    This what former republican prisoner Anthony McIntyre had to say about the arrest this morning.

What an amazing unbiased source you have quoted there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Why didn't Gerry have one of those letters guaranteeing him freedom from arrest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

anncoates wrote: »
    It's weird when you think about it.

When Gerry was the commander of the Belfast IRA and they were at war, he supposedly never gave orders or the guerilla army of which he had operational command just did what they pleased without his input from above. Like the squad set up to ferret out and kill informers - and killed JMC - in Belfast just kind of magically coalesced by itself one day.

But then he brought the IRA to peace and steered them away from war.

Its funny how he had so little input and clout at some stages and then so much input and clout at others, isn't it?

Funny you should mention that particular squad. It is the reason cases like this will never end up going to trial. There are more than republicans with blood on their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

These politically motivated theories are a bit strange. For that to be true there has to be a large number of very shady assumptions made,

i) That someone in the Irish political fold (most likely labour or FG) has enough clout to be able to influence when someone is arrested by the PSNI. That's a disturbing idea.

ii) Assuming the above is true, the PSNI couldn't arrest based on a political whim or else Gerry would have been in and out of the station in half an hour. They must be asking him about something. This implies that whoever influenced the PSNI to arrest him had information on the murder. This is even more disturbing.

iii) IF the arrest is politically motivated, the party/people who did it see SF as a large threat in the local elections. They were willing to take a massive risk to try and knock a few votes off SF. If they are caught there will be uproar and they will probably be jailed. That's the risk. The possible reward is SF winning a few less seats in the local election. That's the reward. The risk vs reward doesn't add up. Local government elections are not that important in this country.

So for the politically motivated cloak and daggers theory to be correct whoever is the ring leader has to have serious pull in the PSNI,has probably withheld information on an infamous murder and has to be willing to risk imprisonment and probably serious public hatred in order to take a few local council seats from SF. I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

These politically motivated theories are a bit strange. For that to be true there has to be a large number of very shady assumptions made,

i) That someone in the Irish political fold (most likely labour or FG) has enough clout to be able to influence when someone is arrested by the PSNI. That's a disturbing idea.

ii) Assuming the above is true, the PSNI couldn't arrest based on a political whim or else Gerry would have been in and out of the station in half an hour. They must be asking him about something. This implies that whoever influenced the PSNI to arrest him had information on the murder. This is even more disturbing.

iii) IF the arrest is politically motivated, the party/people who did it see SF as a large threat in the local elections. They were willing to take a massive risk to try and knock a few votes off SF. If they are caught there will be uproar and they will probably be jailed. That's the risk. The possible reward is SF winning a few less seats in the local election. That's the reward. The risk vs reward doesn't add up. Local government elections are not that important in this country.

So for the politically motivated cloak and daggers theory to be correct whoever is the ring leader has to have serious pull in the PSNI,has probably withheld information on an infamous murder and has to be willing to risk imprisonment and probably serious public hatred in order to take a few local council seats from SF. I don't buy it.

Sounds like a job for Alan Shatter ðŸ˜

But if all of that is not true then that must mean that the PSNI actually have enough evidence to at least arrest and question GA. That kind of thinking will not sit with Republicans as they all know he is as pure as the driven snow so it has to be politically motivated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I can't see that either the local or European elections bother the PSNI in any way. Sure, most people living in the Republic barely know who their local councillors are.

But if all of that is not true then that must mean that the PSNI actually have enough evidence to at least arrest and question GA. That kind of thinking will not sit with Republicans as they all know he is as pure as the driven snow so it has to be politically motivated :D

The two people who made the accusations on the Boston tapes are now dead.

What are the chances of them ever being cross examined on what they said?

Funny you should mention that particular squad. It is the reason cases like this will never end up going to trial. There are more than republicans with blood on their hands

If you mean the FRU, I'd fully welcome anybody with blood on their hands facing the law.

As for the political motivation claims, I've no doubt the British and Irish establishments are both afraid of SF (especially the Irish) and elections are forthcoming but I think, as said by others already, arrests were always on the cards since the Boston tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Imagine he was 24 at the time.

So young with that responsability.

Madness.

The two people who made the accusations on the Boston tapes are now dead.

What are the chances of them ever being cross examined on what they said?

So now you know that the PSNI only arrested him on foot of what the Boston tapes say? Jaysus where are you getting your info from? Did Gerry smuggle a phone into his cell up his jaxie and is texting you with info to post on boards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

anncoates wrote: »
    If you mean the FRU, I'd fully welcome anybody with blood on their hands facing the law.

As for the political motivation claims, I've no doubt the British and Irish establishments are both afraid of SF (especially the Irish) and elections are forthcoming but I think, as said by others already, arrests were always on the cards since the Boston tapes.

Not the FRU, the 'nutting squad' or internal security unit and how informers were used ... and abused. That is an aspect of the conflict that will never fully come to light in a court room as nobody would want it to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement