Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

bumper234 wrote: »
    So now you know that the PSNI only arrested him on foot of what the Boston tapes say? Jaysus where are you getting your info from? Did Gerry smuggle a phone into his cell up his jaxie and is texting you with info to post on boards?

lol ya
    sky news wrote:
    Gerry Adams' arrest over the murder of widowed mother of 10 Jean McConville stems from allegations made by republicans in interviews they gave to a US college.

sky news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not the FRU, the 'nutting squad' or internal security unit and how informers were used ... and abused. That is an aspect of the conflict that will never fully come to light in a court room as nobody would want it to.

Hard to address what you're driving at when you won't clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

two years for a brutal murder of a mother of 9 kids?

You've had some clinkers in this thread but that one is the best.

Not only is your comment baseless but I don't think you understand the concept of being found guilty of murder.

There isn't a hope in hell of him being convicted of murder. They have absolutely nothing to go on. No murder weapon, no crime scene. Nothing.

At best they will get him on withholding information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

At least if he gets banged up he can share a cell with the brother. They can comfort each other with the tales of being innocent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    At least if he gets banged up he can share a cell with the brother. They can comfort each other with the tales of being innocent

Whats his brother got to do with anything.

Guilt by (involuntary) association is the stuff of nattering old biddies.

Who might you find yourself associated with one day without choice.

(twitches curtains)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You've had some clinkers in this thread but that one is the best.

Not only is your comment baseless but I don't think you understand the concept of being found guilty of murder.

There isn't a hope in hell of him being convicted of murder. They have absolutely nothing to go on. No murder weapon, no crime scene. Nothing.

Can you prove this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

Leader of Ireland's only real mainstream left-wing party gets locked with elections just around the corner hmmmm.

If he does get charged hopefully they'll look up the scumbag who murdered Joan Connolly a 48 year old mother eight. Shot while she was attending a wounded victim she was shot in the face with a browning pistol which blew of half of her face, she got up & was shot again, the second shot knocked her over a fence, she was shot a third time & it's now clear had she got medical attention she would have survived but medical attention was the last thing on the minds of the murderers who were slaughtering innocent people in Balllymurphy that day which included a priest who was attending a victim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

iii) IF the arrest is politically motivated, the party/people who did it see SF as a large threat in the local elections. They were willing to take a massive risk to try and knock a few votes off SF. If they are caught there will be uproar and they will probably be jailed. That's the risk. The possible reward is SF winning a few less seats in the local election. That's the reward. The risk vs reward doesn't add up. Local government elections are not that important in this country.

lol! Caught, jailed? So basically there's no risk assuming this was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Imagine he was 24 at the time.

So young with that responsability.

Madness.
    Mad to think he was only 24 at the time this was going on.

So young.

We get it, Gerry was practically a foetus in 1972.

I'm not sure why you're labouring the point though - it's not really as profound a thing as you seem to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Samba wrote: »
    lol! Caught, jailed? So basically there's no risk assuming this was the case.

I did say probably to be fair, can't take anything for granted in this country.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Can you prove this

It's not up to me to prove anything. If he's to be convicted of murder it's up to the prosecution to prove he pulled the trigger.

He hasn't been found guilty of anything, if anything it should be you who should be telling me how or why you think he murdered McConville.

Based on facts and evidence obvioulsy, not your own personal opinion. It might garnish you with a few likes on here but that won't hold much weight in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am somewhat stunned by the reaction of figures such as Mary Lou McDonald. The PSNI is blatantly being undermined by the statements that have been made by various Sinn Féin representatives this morning. I think people should wait and see the outcome of this arrest before making extremely sensitive statements that could undermine public confidence in the police force.

I don't believe you are 'stunned' if I'm honest. Anything less than charges will indicate that the arrest was unneccesary imo. If he is charged (now that I would be stunned by!) then public confidence in UK policing is going to take a massive hit during a trial on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's not up to me to prove anything. If he's to be convicted of murder it's up to the prosecution to prove he pulled the trigger.
    On a general point, I think somebody can be found guilty of murder if it is a contract killing, even though they do not kill the person themselves.

I don't know if or how that could apply to this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gatling wrote: »
    Can you prove this

What evidence would you say they have that he was involved in the murder? The word of two dead men?

Unless he either admits to it himself, or someone else testifies against him in court, then there isn't a hope that he'll be done for murder.

I'd say he'll be released without charge by the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seaneh wrote: »
    From rabble.ie:
    In 1971, the Paras shot dead 10 people in the Ballymurphy Massacre. Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers today ruled out their call for an independent enquiry. If only there was some way of getting the emotional press conference and this travesty of justice off the main news...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/ballymurphy-families-consider-case-30227991.html

In fairness, if it wasn't Ballymurphy, all sides can point to some atrocity or event in N.I. history that hasn't been dealt with. It's the nature of the conflict. Btw, I believe there should be an independent investigation.

All that doesn't mean that we should ignore this case, until every other case is dealt with. Adams has questions to answer, many people have been doing that for years, now he has to provide them to the authorities. Adams has consistently denied IRA Army Council membership to the electorate, so we might well find out the truth now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness, if it wasn't Ballymurphy, all sides can point to some atrocity or event in N.I. history that hasn't been dealt with. It's the nature of the conflict. Btw, I believe there should be an independent investigation.

All that doesn't mean that we should ignore this case, until every other case is dealt with. Adams has questions to answer, many people have been doing that for years, now he has to provide them to the authorities. Adams has consistently denied IRA Army Council membership to the electorate, so we might well find out the truth now.

Well, you'll certainly found out a bunch of new stuff after he is released and the PSNI leak things to the press. The 'truth' of what they leak will be debated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't believe you are 'stunned' if I'm honest. Anything less than charges will indicate that the arrest was unneccesary imo. If he is charged (now that I would be stunned by!) then public confidence in UK policing is going to take a massive hit during a trial on this matter.

He is the 7th to be arrested recently about this, the other 6 were released without charge, barring something unbelievable I very much expect the same to happen here.

The cynic in me does find the timing of this a little too convenient also.

What evidence would you say they have that he was involved in the murder? The word of two dead men?

Unless he either admits to it himself, or someone else testifies against him in court, then there isn't a hope that he'll be done for murder.

I'd say he'll be released without charge by the end of the night.

Even at that it would be one word against another.

I cannot see anyone involved with her disappearance ever coming forward in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

kryogen wrote: »
    He is the 7th to be arrested recently about this, the other 6 were released without charge, barring something unbelievable I very much expect the same to happen here.

The cynic in me does find the timing of this a little too convenient also.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ivor-bell-charged-in-connection-with-murder-of-jean-mcconville-1.1734181

Errrmmmm. One of the others arrested and questioned about the murder of Jean McConville is currently on remand... Not released without charge at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ivor-bell-charged-in-connection-with-murder-of-jean-mcconville-1.1734181

Errrmmmm. One of the others arrested and questioned about the murder of Jean McConville is currently on remand... Not released without charge at all...
    Thats because he incriminated himself on the Boston tape.

Even so a conviction is really unlikely. If he said anything about Adams (on the tape) he would have to repeat it in court, no chance of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The unionist politicians must be jizzing themselves.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, you'll certainly found out a bunch of new stuff after he is released and the PSNI leak things to the press. The 'truth' of what they leak will be debated.

Tbh if he was convicted it would still be debated, some would still believe Gerry. I'm sure some FF'ers still think Bertie is grand and they only played a small part in the crash.

For me the simplest thing is to draw a line on all events from 40 years ago. Adams is in his 60's now, was a big player in the peace process, and it isn't as if its going to shock the political world that he was in the IRA (allegedly). Probably all the big political players in Britain are retired or dead, military as well. While the McConville case and things like Ballymurphy are harrowing, and the families will never forget, I just wonder is all this actually holding back the peace process from moving onto the next step.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Anti-Republican neurotics to your keyboards.

guilty, guilty, guilty. throw away the key.

Eventhough I wasn't even born when it happened, I still KNOW that it was him. Somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

K-9 wrote: »
    I just wonder is all this actually holding back the peace process from moving onto the next step.

It's certainly holding back the Shinners from political gain in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I doubt that. Their supporters will be not swayed by such inconveniences as law and order.

I don't think it is that much a hindrance, McGuinness faced questions about his past during the Presidential elections and its done SF no harm in the polls. Most people have their mind made up either way. SF voters or potential ones aren't going to be particularly shocked, because most would understand the SF point of view on the North anyway. The hardliners will just dream up more conspiracy theories.

Same as their biggest critics aren't really going to hate SF and Gerry much more (an impossibility) because of this. It'll be interesting to see if it has any effect in the polls, it could put a ceiling on their vote until the next election, but that's about it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I doubt that. Their supporters will be not swayed by such inconveniences as law and order.

What about the supporters who didn't know he was in the IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Lol, the dogs in the street know he was/is. It's poor wee Gerry that has amnesia.

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Statement like this really make me smile, considering everything that has gone on in the past - Tribunals and Court cases involving just about every political party in the country including both who are in power at the moment.

The biggest one of all being the last 5 years of a depression overseen by a political Party who are once more making gains in opinion polls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It would appear that the only person who did not know he was a member was Gerry Adams !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement