Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It would appear that the only person who did not know he was a member was Gerry Adams !

And Mary-Lou

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

It would appear that the only person who did not know he was a member was Gerry Adams !

And so what if he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He is like the character in the film Total Recall, the Colin Farrell version.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/niallodowd/Why-Gerry-Adams-arrest-is-a-complete-farce.html

Interesting article... considering it was written by Fergus O'Dowd's (FG) brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

K-9 wrote: »
    For me the simplest thing is to draw a line on all events from 40 years ago.

jail all members of the british military who deliberately murdered civilians and enjoyed protection from the british state and were rewarded for their actions and we'l talk, at least IRA members went to jail

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭timtime

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I doubt that. Their supporters will be not swayed by such inconveniences as law and order.

the laws of the corrupt free state, certainly not

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think anytime someone is 'arrested' where there is no real intent or ability to bring charges with a realistic possibility of prosecution then, yeah, it's a farce. As much as people can shoot down the idea that the PSNI have any political motivations with respect to upcoming elections (North or South), if their motivation is not to bring a charge and eventual prosecution then questions need to be asked imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

jail all members of the british military who deliberately murdered civilians and enjoyed protection from the british state and were rewarded for their actions and we'l talk, at least IRA members went to jail
    Then we won't be talking, your views are in the minority most people want to draw a line under the whole affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Then we won't be talking, your views are in the minority most people want to draw a line under the whole affair.

A nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why??

seriously.....WHY???????

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's certainly holding back the Shinners from political gain in the Republic.

I don't think this arrest will have much impact on the current level of support for Sinn Féin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Interesting article... considering it was written by Fergus O'Dowd's (FG) brother!

I never understand the logic behind condemning a prosecution because there are other unsolved crimes. It's like the guy getting a parking ticket giving out about all the speeders driving past. It's completely irrelevant to the crime in question. Law enforcement is not an all or nothing process. Even if they are focusing more on nationalist crimes, they are stillc rimes to be solved. Would you suggest they implement a quota of crime solving to balance out how many nationalists and unionists are prosecuted?

And all this stuff about it being politically motivated. Gerry Adams chose to go up and hand himself in at this time. He chose the timing.

Sinn Fein have kicked themselves in the balls here. They are attacking a police force that they are also supporting 100%. How can they look for nationalists to accept the PSNI when they kick up such a fuss and accuse them of being politically controlled and anti-nationalist because they don't like the crime they are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,412 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don't think this arrest will have much impact on the current level of support for Sinn Féin.

It wont impact the hardcore but many people will feel the current parties in power are not fit to vote back in. A lot of these people would have a long enough memory to count out FF due to the state they left the country in and would have considered SF as a viable alternate or a protest vote.

If Adams are convicted it is this sort of voter that will run a mile seeing as Adams is a long term figurehead for SF who will have lost all credibility. It could set them back some years in fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

It would be hard to pin unless this Ivor Bell has flipped and turned states evidence.

Which given he will be out of prison 12- 18 odd months after his conviction, if he gets one, sounds highly unlikely.

Strumms wrote: »
    It wont impact the hardcore but many people will feel the current parties in power are not fit to vote back in. A lot of these people would have a long enough memory to count out FF due to the state they left the country in and would have considered SF as a viable alternate or a protest vote.

If Adams are convicted it is this sort of voter that will run a mile seeing as Adams is a long term figurehead for SF who will have lost all credibility. It could set them back some years in fact.

If he was convicted.

Serious question to some people on this thread: have you considered what a trial on this murder would be like? Thought of the possible content? The layers of background context that would be sifted through and the muck raking that would undoubtedly be involved. Then consider the consequences of either outcome - a conviction of a key peace process figurehead for a murder 42 years in the past; or the disintegration of one of the most high profile prosecutions in British history. An absolute circus whatever way you figure it that would also involve unneccesary examinations of the character of the dead woman involved.

I'll be blunt, anyone who would want that to take place is completely misguided. You can't hate Adams and SF enough to want to destabalise the peace process (unless you are completely disconnected from the possible consequences of same which, to be fair, some people in the South can be at times) or potentially compromise the UK Government's ability to keep Islamic extremism in check.

So much of the southern political rhetoric on Sinn Feinn and 'terrorism' is disgraceful at times. The willingness to use the troubles as a political weapon to win a few seats is shameful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

So much of the southern political rhetoric on Sinn Feinn and 'terrorism' is disgraceful at times. The willingness to use the troubles as a political weapon to win a few seats is shameful really.

Even a quick glance at the SF online store would show you that it's SF themselves who appear keen to hang-on to the imagery and rhetoric of the troubles. And to use it as a political weapon. You can't really have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Perhaps not, but it prevents them attracting new support

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some, not all. Unionists will then want members of the Army Council and others to get jailed as well. N.I. politics in a nutshell.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Some, not all. Unionists will then want members of the Army Council and others to get jailed as well. N.I. politics in a nutshell.

All of this bollocks (engaged in by all parties north and south) is so counter to what a peace process should be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

This was one of the most sickening incidents of the "troubles" but what made it worse was that the IRA thugs warned the community not to help the 10 children after the murder. They were isolated, shunned and actually left to starve for 3 weeks until they were taken into care. No neighbour called in with a pint of milk or some soothing words. It must have been horrific for them. The oldest child was 15. It seems the IRA continued to warn people not to help the children or give them jobs when they got older. When I heard an interview with some of those kids recently I swore never to vote SF ever.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    This was one of the most sickening incidents of the "troubles" but what made it worse was that the IRA thugs warned the community not to help the 10 children after the murder. They were isolated, shunned and actually left to starve for 3 weeks until they were taken into care. No neighbour called in with a pint of milk or some soothing words. It must have been horrific for them. The oldest child was 15. It seems the IRA continued to warn people not to help the children or give them jobs when they got older. When I heard an interview with some of those kids recently I swore never to vote SF ever.

i take it you wouldnt vote FF FG or Labour either considering their murky past either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    All of this bollocks (engaged in by all parties north and south) is so counter to what a peace process should be about.

Well whatever way it's done it has to be consistent, which is why I understand people bringing up Ballymurphy.

Either we go a truth & reconciliation route (which if done correctly opens up a can of worms for McGuinness and Adams, not just Governments) or we go an amnesty route and have a cut off point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

jail all members of the british military who deliberately murdered civilians and enjoyed protection from the british state and were rewarded for their actions and we'l talk, at least IRA members went to jail[/QUOTE]

Obviously not!!!

timtime wrote: »
    i take it you wouldnt vote FF FG or Labour either considering their murky past either

Quit your jibber jabber. There is murky and there is downright diabolical. Murky indeed.
    10 children u16; widowed Mother abducted for a 2nd time but this time she is killed rather than beaten, Ostracized from the community, Starving during 1st 3 weeks of abduction, Split up into care, Told that Mother abandoned her kids and went to England, Body not revealed for 30 years, Continued efforts to shun/quieten them, Son knows who took her but cannot say because he fears his own young family will be targetted. Sick sick sick. IRA scum.

Not that its any of your business, I have never voted FF and I voted IND in the last election. I will campaign against SF if there is any sniff they will every get to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Quit your jibber jabber. There is murky and there is downright diabolical. Murky indeed.
    10 children u16; widowed Mother abducted for a 2nd time but this time she is killed rather than beaten, Ostracized from the community, Starving during 1st 3 weeks of abduction, Split up into care, Told Mother abandoned her kids and went to England, Body not revealed for 30 years, Continued efforts to shun/quieten them. Sick sick sick. IRA scum.

Not that its any of your business, I have never voted FF and I voted IND in the last election. I will campaign against SF if there is any sniff they will every get to power.

Please try and get your facts right... she didnt have 10 kids under 16 one was in Long Kesh for IRA membership at the time of his mothers death. Is he IRA scum too?

What happened was bad enough without embellishing it. When this carry on its evident that all you care about is getting at Adams and SF, otherwise you wouldnt lie.

Please try and get your facts right... she didnt have 10 kids under 16 one was in Long Kesh for IRA membership at the time of his mothers death. Is he IRA scum too?

What happened was bad enough without embellishing it. When this carry on its evident that all you care about is getting at Adams and SF, otherwise you wouldnt lie.

Oh I am sorry, it was 9 children. I did not mean to embellish it.

You're calling me a liar? Ironic.

Yes I thought I made it quite clear. I despise SF and especially Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the laws of the corrupt free state, certainly not

Is the Free State corrupt? It may well be, but I fail to see how South Africa is relevant in all this.

10 children u16; widowed Mother abducted for a 2nd time but this time she is killed rather than beaten, Ostracized from the community, Starving during 1st 3 weeks of abduction, Split up into care, Told that Mother abandoned her kids and went to England, Body not revealed for 30 years, Continued efforts to shun/quieten them, Son knows who took her but cannot say because he fears his own young family will be targetted. Sick sick sick. IRA scum.

terrible attrocities happen in war, maybe you should campaign to have war criminal tony Blair jailed, lot murkier than GA

terrible attrocities happen in war, maybe you should campaign to have war criminal tony Blair jailed, lot murkier than GA

not forgettingnthe free state government aiding and abetting American terrorism by allowing them passage thru shannon airport on their way to murder and mayhem in Iraq, how many innocent children were slaughtered over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I didn't realise Tony stood for election in the Republic.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise Tony stood for election in the Republic.
    who said he does?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement