Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

timtime wrote: »
    terrible attrocities happen in war, maybe you should campaign to have war criminal tony Blair jailed, lot murkier than GA

Atrocity...you make it sound like an accident.
    Is that the reason the IRA tipped off the RUC that their mother had abandoned them to be with a British soldier in the UK? That story helped the children's cause no end I am sure.
    Is that why they tortured her before shooting her in the head (broken bones, mutilated hand)?
    Is that why they did not reveal the location of the body for nearly 30 years?
    Is that why the children were left to cope alone and were completely shunned by the local community for 3 weeks?

Did they enjoy prolonging the agony?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭timtime

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I've seen some whataboutery in my time on Boards, but you're breaking new ground with this stuff.

You go girl.

thanks for the infantile reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Birroc wrote: »
    Atrocity...you make it sound like an accident.
    Is that the reason the IRA tipped off the RUC that their mother had abandoned them to be with a British soldier in the UK? That story helped the children's cause no end I am sure.
    Is that why they tortured her before shooting her in the head (broken bones, mutilated hand)?
    Is that why the children were left to cope alone and were completely shunned by the local community for 3 weeks?

Did they enjoy prolonging the agony?

Horrific stuff.

Really makes you wonder at the mentailty of those who would try to defend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'll be blunt, anyone who would want that to take place is completely misguided. You can't hate Adams and SF enough to want to destabalise the peace process (unless you are completely disconnected from the possible consequences of same which, to be fair, some people in the South can be at times)

And this is my number one problem with Sinn Féin- they're still using the threat of violence to further their political ambition, albeit couched in their own particular brand of doublespeak. The unionist/loyalist side will be delighted to see Adams on trial so this won't affect them; dissident republicans are already committed to violence, so no change there- which leaves us with former IRA and INLA terrorists who are supposedly men of peace. A simple translation of "destabilise the peace process" is "we're going to restart bombing and shooting unless we're treated with kid gloves and granted every indulgence we want."

If you want an example of this, just look at how Sinn Féin are allowed to blatantly flout the law regarding foreign funding for their election campaign. You still get meathead misty-eyed "Irish" Americans throwing money into collection tins in Boston bars for "The Cause" which is paying for a large chunk of those election posters you see everywhere. No other party has taken this up with the Electoral Commission because they know they'll be accused of the very things the pro-IRA posters here are saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lets not forget that her body was found by chance due to the embankment she was buried in being washed away during a storm which led to the exposure of the corpse.

I'd say there are many involved in her murder who hoped that the body would never be found.

• Advertisement

Lets not forget that her body was found by chance due to the embankment she was buried in being washed away during a storm.

Yeah but to be fair the IRA (and I hate defending them) had told the authorities to search that same beach a few years earlier.

Horrific stuff.

Really makes you wonder at the mentailty of those who would try to defend it.

In my experience, SF supporters tend to be a blinkered, immature or stupid people. That said, some of their politicians are smart cookies and I would fear their actions if they got into power in any coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Any chance of changing thread title, it's not exactly breaking news anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sabat wrote: »
    And this is my number one problem with Sinn Féin- they're still using the threat of violence to further their political ambition, albeit couched in their own particular brand of doublespeak. The unionist/loyalist side will be delighted to see Adams on trial so this won't affect them; dissident republicans are already committed to violence, so no change there- which leaves us with former IRA and INLA terrorists who are supposedly men of peace. A simple translation of "destabilise the peace process" is "we're going to restart bombing and shooting unless we're treated with kid gloves and granted every indulgence we want."

If you want an example of this, just look at how Sinn Féin are allowed to blatantly flout the law regarding foreign funding for their election campaign. You still get meathead misty-eyed "Irish" Americans throwing money into collection tins in Boston bars for "The Cause" which is paying for a large chunk of those election posters you see everywhere. No other party has taken this up with the Electoral Commission because they know they'll be accused of the very things the pro-IRA posters here are saying.

That's some amount of paranoid rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

In my experience, SF supporters tend to be a blinkered, immature or stupid people. That said, some of their politicians are smart cookies and I would fear their actions if they got into power in any coalition.

You'll see a FG+FF coalition before an SF+Anyone coalition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I am somewhat stunned by the reaction of figures such as Mary Lou McDonald. The PSNI is blatantly being undermined by the statements that have been made by various Sinn Féin representatives this morning. I think people should wait and see the outcome of this arrest before making extremely sensitive statements that could undermine public confidence in the police force.

You didn't seem too stunned on the gsoc threads when FF leader, Micheál Martin (in hindsight correctly) undermined Commissioner Martin Callinan and AGS.

You'll see a FG+FF coalition before an SF+Anyone coalition.

Maybe but I am not so convinced. They will milk the 1916 celebrations and do well at the next elections by default. And Irish politicians never cease to surprise me with decisions they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

All this stinks of a well orchestrated arrest. If they can't pin this on Adams then they will have no other option but to shut up.

How long can he be detained for? The last I heard, habeas corpus is no longer practiced in Northern Ireland.

Last Election
    Fine Gael = 76 (Up 25)
    Labour Party = 37 (Up 17)
    Fianna Fáil = 20 (Down 57)
    Sinn Féin = 14 (Up 10)
    Independent = 14 (Up 9)

I expect this at next election 2016;
    Fine Gael = 60 (Down 16)
    Labour = 20 (Down 17)
    Fianna Fáil = 40 (Up 20)
    Sinn Féin = 24 (Up 10)
    Independent = 14 (Up 3)

Then the fun starts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

"destabilising the peace process" i.e Shinner talk for "if we don't get what we want w e will let the boys loose again"

That's some amount of paranoid rubbish!

Specifically? Which part is untrue?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I didn't realise that I speak for SF or was using 'doublespeak'.

You are...naive if you think an Adams trial would be some sort of efficient and clinical affair that serves up justice without serious negative consequences. You can be as annoyed or outraged by that as you like, but it's the reality of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Last Election
    Fine Gael = 76 (Up 25)
    Sinn Féin = 14 (Up 10)
    Independent = 14 (Up 9)

Fine Gael = 60 (Down 16)
    Labour = 20 (Down 17)
    Fianna Fáil = 40 (Up 20)
    Sinn Féin = 24 (Up 10)
    Independent = 14 (Up 3)

Then the fun starts!

Government would bite your hand off if you offered them that. It'd be as good as an actual coalition majority, since there'd be a few indies that could be buttered up, and opposition would be too fractured to vote it down in any case. Of course, there'd be the possibility of a green-red-green wonky rainbow sandwich (SF+Lab+"progressive-rebranded" FF), but I don't see that actually happening.

I didn't realise that I speak for SF or was using 'doublespeak'.

You are...naive if you think an Adams trial would be some sort of efficient and clinical affair that serves up justice without serious negative consequences. You can be as annoyed or outraged by that as you like, but it's the reality of the situation

I merely deconstructed a very common phrase used by Sinn Féin to highlight what it means at a practical level. Adams simply has to resign otherwise the negative consequences for this state will be enormous. Imagine Enda Kenny was arrested in connection with the discovery of a woman's body found around Leinster...

I also note no-one is disputing my claims about illegal electoral funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Why would a sane person believe Gerry Adams when he says he had nothing to do with the death of Mrs McConville?

If he lies about being a member of the IRA, which he has for decades, why would anyone believe a word out of his mouth?

I have some sympathy for the fact that this investigation is only proceeding because Mrs McConville's body was found by accident and not as a result from information from the IRA. I imagine republicans were, in good-faith, trying to locate her body.

But, tough titties Gerry, if you're classy enough to be involved in murdering mothers, then you had it coming.

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Government would bite your hand off if you offered them that. It'd be as good as an actual coalition majority, since there'd be a few indies that could be buttered up, and opposition would be too fractured to vote it down in any case. Of course, there'd be the possibility of a green-red-green wonky rainbow sandwich (SF+Lab+"progressive-rebranded" FF), but I don't see that actually happening.

Yeah I actually think SF will only realistically get into government in 2021.
    They will offload Liar Adams and create a logical economic policy and then wait for the "people" to get exhausted by all the other political parties.

I merely deconstructed a very common phrase used by Sinn Féin to highlight what it means at a practical level. Adams simply has to resign otherwise the negative consequences for this state will be enormous. Imagine Enda Kenny was arrested in connection with the discovery of a woman's body found around Leinster...

I also note no-one is disputing my claims about illegal electoral funding.

He wouldn't resign imo.

People might not like it but when weighing up the choices of:

- putting Adams on trial leading to a resumption of IRA efforts;
    - leaving him be even though you have a lot of hearsay to hand that makes you believe he was probably involved in ordering her execution;

you would be a loon to choose the former option. Easy for people in the South to take high stands of principle on such an issue of course though when they will be at a remove from the potential consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Shinner shins dirty shins dirty shinners never vote for them murderers ger adams and his dirty shinner beard vote for FF before ill vote for them nordies dirty shinners no economic program shining shinny shins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

- leaving him be even though you have a lot of hearsay to hand that makes you believe he was probably involved in ordering her execution;

Why are these the only choices? Why does Adams on trial mean the IRA will be reactivated - I thought it was defunct?

At the moment he has been arrested. If there is no evidence then there will be no trial. If there is reasonable evidence, I would expect a trial, as with any other person.

Adams is not and should not be untouchable. Nor should he be victimised either btw. If there's no evidence, only hearsay then he's not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

putting Adams on trial leading to a resumption of IRA efforts

Well, that's subtle, isn't it? "Don't be calling us terrorists, or we'll shoot you in the face."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

He wouldn't resign imo.

Well there's an escalation, leaving aside that the present IRA splinter groups would consider Adams and some others within Sinn Fein as traitors.

Reckon Martin and Mary Lou will pick up the Armalite and storm the police station to free him?

wazky wrote: »
    Well there's an escalation, leaving aside that the present IRA splinter groups would consider Adams and some others within Sinn Fein as traitors.

Reckon Martin and Mary Lou will pick up the Armalite and storm the police station to free him?

I reckon it's as likely as an Adam's trial being a smooth, successful non circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Specifically? Which part is untrue?

Well there's your opening line for a start
    And this is my number one problem with Sinn Féin- they're still using the threat of violence to further their political ambition

...and it just goes downhill from there.

If your number one problem with SF is one that you had to dream up yourself, then they mustn't be doing too badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Last Election
    Fine Gael = 76 (Up 25)
    Sinn Féin = 14 (Up 10)
    Independent = 14 (Up 9)

Fine Gael = 60 (Down 16) 65
    Labour = 20 (Down 17) 15
    Fianna Fáil = 40 (Up 20) 33
    Sinn Féin = 24 (Up 10) 32
    Independent = 14 (Up 3) 21

Then the fun starts!

What I think

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Why would a sane person believe Gerry Adams when he says he had nothing to do with the death of Mrs McConville?

But, tough titties Gerry, if you're classy enough to be involved in murdering mothers, then you had it coming.

And you have what evidence detective Colombo ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement