Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Well there's your opening line for a start

...and it just goes downhill from there.

If your number one problem with SF is one that you had to dream up yourself, then they mustn't be doing too badly!

1. What does "destabilise the peace process" mean?

2. Yes or no. Are Sinn Féin breaking the law regarding electoral funding? I'll make this one really simple for you:
    The returns by Friends of Sinn Fein (FOSF) contain details of a variety of visits by senior and mid-ranking Sinn Fein members from Ireland.
    It filed returns that it raised $369,445 (€272,000) from November 2012 to April last year and $326,918 between April and June last year.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-enjoys-lavish-fundraising-trips-stateside-29889080.html
    A political party or any of its sub-units may not a
    ccept a donation, of any value, from an individual
    (other than an Irish citizen) who resides outside t
    he island of Ireland. Similarly no donation, of any
    value, may be accepted from a body corporate or an
    unincorporated body of persons which does not
    keep an office in the island of Ireland from which
    at least one of its principal activities is directed.

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Guidelines/Donation-Guidelines/Guidelines-for-Political-Parties/Guidelines-for-political-parties.pdf

Is he still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Is he still there?

He hasn't gone away you know.

Nodin wrote: »
    He hasn't gone away you know.

That's a yes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sabat wrote: »
    1. What does "destabilise the peace process" mean?

2. Yes or no. Are Sinn Féin breaking the law regarding electoral funding? I'll make this one really simple for you:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-enjoys-lavish-fundraising-trips-stateside-29889080.html

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Guidelines/Donation-Guidelines/Guidelines-for-Political-Parties/Guidelines-for-political-parties.pdf

1. It's pretty obvious what it means. Why are you assuming that when SF speak of destabilisation they are in fact making threats? Loads of commentators speak about the Peace Process and the various things that may destabilise it =/

2. I don't know anything about that law. I'm not even sure if it is a law. Have you reported it to Gardai just to be on the safe side?

There's actually nothing in that article to suggest that the party got any money from abroad. All it mentions is that a US group done some fund-raising in the US and some of the money was spent on accommodating SF politicians when they visit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

K-9 wrote: »
    I just wonder is all this actually holding back the peace process from moving onto the next step.

Is there a next step though? The way I see it, it concluded a good while ago. I find it hard to imagine that the IRA would resume it's campaign if Adams were convicted.

I'd be very uncomfortable with brushing a potential murder charge under the carpet for the sake of saying "it was a long time ago".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

IRA shoot suspected informers
    Irish Gov promote them to sergeant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Is he still there?

Probably gone on hunger strike.

McConville's son keeps saying he knows who killed her. Can he not be done for withholding information in a murder investigation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What makes you think he hasn't told the police what he knows/thinks he knows?

• Advertisement

What makes you think he hasn't told the police what he knows/thinks he knows?

Because that's what is been reported all over the place

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10800475/Gerry-Adams-arrest-Son-of-IRA-victim-says-he-knows-who-killed-his-mother-but-is-too-scared-to-tell-police.html

He's too afraid to confidentially and privately tell police what he knows, but he's fine with coming out and telling the world that he does know :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

As much as i would like to think these things were part of the past, the family deserve justice regardless of who was involved and what they have done since. And if gerry was apart of it, i think he should man up and face the consequences. i dont think it will change peoples opinion of him or the party as it stands today, we all know some nasty stuff down back then. But as i said a family wants justice and it should get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't believe this keeps cropping up about Adams. Does everyone not know at this stage that it was Ivor Bell who probably made the order regarding Jean McConville along with Brendan Hughes, who interestingly fell out with Adams before he died and can now be heard making accusations on a tape?

There's something very fishy about the whole thing anyway and its timing. Can't imagine it'll have much effect on most voters though, most people will have already made up their minds about Sinn Fein anyway.

There's something very fishy about the whole thing anyway and its timing. Can't imagine it'll have much effect on most voters though, most people will have already made up their minds about Sinn Fein anyway.

Never any harm to remind the next generation of young voters the kind of scumbag politics they represent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Never any harm to remind the next generation of young voters the kind of scumbag politics they represent though.

Scumbag politics? You must not vote at all then, cos Sinn Fein are not the only political party in this country with a murky past. In fact you'd be hard pushed to find any party in this country that hasn't a questionable past. Sinn Fein's just happens to be more recent history.

I'm not a huge supporter of Sinn Fein, but this idea that they should be singled out as the only political party with a troubled past in a country that has a very sorry history indeed is frankly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's funny how Fianna Fáil and Fine Gáel commemorate and celebrate "terrorists" of the past but don't like those of the recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

It's funny how Fianna Fáil and Fine Gáel commemorate and celebrate "terrorists" of the past but don't like those of the recent past.

To be fair, it's always a help when the object of your adulation is safely dead, and unlikely to be making more of a show of themselves in the near future.

Very good point. Otherwise people might forget about things like the good old days of fascists and blueshirts

http://www.lookleftonline.org/2010/08/fine-gaels-fascist-roots/

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

Sinn Fein have kicked themselves in the balls here. They are attacking a police force that they are also supporting 100%. How can they look for nationalists to accept the PSNI when they kick up such a fuss and accuse them of being politically controlled and anti-nationalist because they don't like the crime they are investigating.

No they are not, SF explicitly referred to elements within the PSNI, not the organization as a whole, specifically the RUC remnants within it and their brood who have been salivating at the thought of sticking it to the "taigs".

The same elements are the ones who let Twaddel continue, Willie Frazer and the Protestant Coalition spread their sectarian hate-mongerering, allow Winston Irvine a UVF commander to sit on a community policing board, and have very close links with the Orange Order in Belfast.

This is a worrying development, it looks like this element are asserting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

efb wrote: »
    What I think

I'd say you aren't far away, this Government will struggle to get an overall majority and it will be Labour that suffers the most. They'll do well to get their traditional core vote and will be transfer toxic, apart from FG. FF and SF will have a good battle for 2nd.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Strictly speaking this is likely true, because I'm sure if you add up the "SF #1, up the 'RA!" voters, and the "wouldn't vote for them in a fit" ones, you're over 51%. But that doesn't mean that people who might vote for a freshfaced south-of-the-border Cleanskin, or who might be inclined to give them a transfer, are of no significance. Far from it. SF are very much trying to attract the "left" vote, especially the part that's exasperated with Labour for endless compromises with the two rightist parties, the "want to vote 'traditional Republican' but disgusted with SF" people, the "annoyed at Europe" vote, and the "vote no on everything" element. They're not necessarily all bombproof (as it were) when it comes to reminders of "The Past".

Very good point. Otherwise people might forget about things like the good old days of fascists and blueshirts

http://www.lookleftonline.org/2010/08/fine-gaels-fascist-roots/

C'mon everybody do the Shinnerbot with me.

1) It was a war, **** happens.
    2) The Brits did bad stuff too
    3) Ah shur we all have a murky past don't we?

Homophobic insult optional.

McConville's son keeps saying he knows who killed her. Can he not be done for withholding information in a murder investigation?

WTF, by Jaysus I've seen some idiotic posts in my time.......................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Actually that's a low even for AH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I don't understand why the F.B.I or the U.S. government can't get some injunction to get Boston College to open these archives now.

Is there a next step though? The way I see it, it concluded a good while ago. I find it hard to imagine that the IRA would resume it's campaign if Adams were convicted.

I'd be very uncomfortable with brushing a potential murder charge under the carpet for the sake of saying "it was a long time ago".

Well the next step is moving on from the past as best people can, people did it already with the prisoner amnesty. The other way involves investigating 100's if not thousands of cases on all sides, or go the truth and reconciliation route.

What's idiotic about it? He 'knows' who killed her. He's happy enough to come out and tell the world that he knows who killed her, but he refuses to tell police what he knows regarding an active murder investigation.

Surely his silence is standing in the way of justice? Just because he's her son doesn't mean that isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

What's idiotic about it? He 'knows' who killed her. He's happy enough to come out and tell the world that he knows who killed her, but he refuses to tell police what he knows regarding an active murder investigation.

Surely his silence is standing in the way of justice? Just because he's her son doesn't mean that isn't true.

I'm speechless. Why don't you ring the PSNI and report the man for withholding information about a crime? Hopefully you'll get arrested for wasting police time. Idiotic post.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I'm speechless. Why don't you ring the PSNI and report the man for withholding information about a crime? Hopefully you'll get arrested for wasting police time. Idiotic post.

If you say so. I just find it a bit odd that the guy has been doing the rounds on radio stations and giving interviews to newspapers, demanding that justice be served, while at the same time making a big deal of the fact that he 'knows' who is responsible and will not give police any names.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a brain freeze, but nope, you've actually thought that idiotic post through and blame the son. I'm sure the local IRA will totally understand and actually drive him to the station to help the police and tell him he'll be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement