Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

K-9 wrote: »
    I thought it was a brain freeze, but nope, you've actually thought that idiotic post through and blame the son. I'm sure the local IRA will totally understand and actually drive him to the station to help the police and tell him he'll be fine.

What have I blamed the son for? :confused:

He's the one giving interviews, telling the world he knows who is responsible, and how he has refused to assist police with their enquiries.

You don't find it at all odd that a person would publicly share such details, despite him fearing for his life? If you feared for your life due to the same reasons as him, would you go to newspapers and national radio stations and confirm that you 'know' who is responsible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

What's idiotic about it? He 'knows' who killed her. He's happy enough to come out and tell the world that he knows who killed her, but he refuses to tell police what he knows regarding an active murder investigation.

Surely his silence is standing in the way of justice? Just because he's her son doesn't mean that isn't true.

I dare say he has told the police who did it, in fact i recon lots of people have told the police who did it but unless one of those people is willing to stand up in court and declare what they know then the police can't do jack **** about it. Would you be willing to stand up in court and say you saw these people kidnap/murder a woman? Would you risk your own life and the lives of your family?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Will someone please think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

WTF, by Jaysus I've seen some idiotic posts in my time.......................

I've just watched the Interview the Son gave to Sky News and in fairness its a bit ridiculous to sit there and say that he fears for the safety of his family from Dissident Republicans if he were to name those involved. So he's been a witness all this time yet wont give names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

A lot of people know who murdered that woman. They didn't need to hide in those flats.

"I knew the ones that hadn't got masks on, they were neighbours from the area. My older brother Archie probably recognized more of them. My older sister Agnes probably recognized more of them as well. But everybody tells you the IRA's gone away. They haven't. They're still our neighbours, and we're still afraid of them."

"I remember one of the girls (who abducted her) talking, who I knew because she hadn't got a mask on, she used to be a neighbour of ours, her and her sister were there.

"They kept trying to calm us down, because they knew us and they knew us by name."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Adams has been in touch with Max Clifford to try and have his story sold to the Sunday tabloids "My Prison Hell"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Well the next step is moving on from the past as best people can, people did it already with the prisoner amnesty. The other way involves investigating 100's if not thousands of cases on all sides, or go the truth and reconciliation route.

Logically yes, but that's not the nature of the "process". The amnesty was done as part of a "big deal" that there was lots of political pressure to actually get done. It's now in a place where people can tell themselves that it's good enough to be getting along with, and if there's any push to move things on from that, there's lots of opportunity for grandstanding backlash from either side, as we've seen.

So instead we get one-sided calls for ad hoc investigations from each party to the conflict, and no resolution in prospect. I suppose "wait a few decades and everyone concerned will be safely dead" would be a sort of resolution, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

WTF, by Jaysus I've seen some idiotic posts in my time.......................

is this guy basically saying that he and his siblings know who did it but they arent telling?

some family of geniuses if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

bumper234 wrote: »
    I dare say he has told the police who did it, in fact i recon lots of people have told the police who did it but unless one of those people is willing to stand up in court and declare what they know then the police can't do jack **** about it. Would you be willing to stand up in court and say you saw these people kidnap/murder a woman? Would you risk your own life and the lives of your family?

Probably not... but I wouldn't go on TV, radio and to newspapers proclaiming to know who killed her either. Do you not think that him making a big deal of knowing who is responsible is a bit odd, considering how fearful he is for his safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

I haven't been following this case but even if he was involved in murders during the troubles how can he go to jail when British soldiers killed innocent civilians too and noting happened to them.

Am I missing something? To be honest this will only make things worse, just leave the past in the past ffs it was a war!!

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    And that made it fine to leave ten children orphans, and waiting many many years to bury their mother?

Oh boo whoo she knew what she was doing

Bambi wrote: »
    is this guy basically saying that he and his siblings know who did it but they arent telling?

some family of geniuses if thats the case

Well the family do know some of the people that helped abduct their mother because some of them were unmasked neighbours. Not sure they know who pulled the trigger or gave the order but as the daughter said, even the dogs on the street knew Adams was an active IRA commander in west Belfast at the time.

Oh boo whoo she knew what she was doing

muppet

rockbeast wrote: »
    And in the end Mandela was saluted off to his heaven as a Freedom Fighter...

Some hypocrites on here - I'm off back to hang out in the rugby forums.

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I haven't been following this case but even if he was involved in murders during the troubles how can he go to jail when British soldiers killed innocent civilians too and noting happened to them.

Am I missing something? To be honest this will only make things worse, just leave the past in the past ffs it was a war!!

The Brits are just covering their asses in case Scotland exists the Union and all the war crimes they were involved in eventually come out.

So they've developed a strike first mentality and are trying to rid Sinn Fein of Adams and damage as much of the party as they can to mitigate the effects if it does happen.

It's very risky but it's the only option they have for protecting war criminals and murderers whoes safety Teresa Valliers has guaranteed in yesterdays decision not pursue those responsible for Ballymurphy.

It's only in the public interest to have Gerry Adams behind bars-the British public interest that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "destabilising the peace process" i.e Shinner talk for "if we don't get what we want w e will let the boys loose again"

They haven't gone away you know.

Edit, balls, I should have known someone would get there before me.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    muppet

I know for sure that I would not be a informer during the troubles. Yeah it's sad for her children but what do you think they should of done? She was already warned, may I ask do you care about the men that the IRA murdered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The UK government through it's "independent" police service arrest an Irish TD, where is the outrage?

When is Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore calling in the ambassador of the UK into the Department of Foreign Affairs to protest against this outrages act of detaining a sitting member of the Dáil.

If the Garda would arrest an English MP I'm sure the English would threaten us with invasion if we don't release him forthwith. They have started wars over less (like fake documents).

Thanks to the Gods he was not traveling on official business and hence did not have a diplomatic passport. But when will the Irish embassy in London fly over someone to Belfast to offer consular assistance to the poor Mr. Adams, I'm sure he is entitled and in need of consular assistance.

When is SF organizing the demo in front of the UK embassy with "Free Adams" posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I know for sure that I would not be a informer during the troubles. Yeah it's sad for her children but what do you think they should of done? She was already warned, may I ask do you care about the men that the IRA murdered?

Oh, FFS. There's no proof she was an informer. And even if she was, it doesn't justify ripping her from the arms of her crying children, torturing her, killing her and then hiding the body. Before kidnapping her eleven year old son and beating him for hours so that he'll keep his mouth shut.

William F wrote: »
    The Brits are just covering their asses in case Scotland exists the Union and all the war crimes they were involved in eventually come out.

So they've developed a strike first mentality and are trying to rid Sinn Fein of Adams and damage as much of the party as they can to mitigate the effects if it does happen.

It's very risky but it's the only option they have for protecting war criminals and murderers whoes safety Teresa Valliers has guaranteed in yesterdays decision not pursue those responsible for Ballymurphy.

It's only in the public interest to have Gerry Adams behind bars-the British public interest that is.

Yeah it confuses me that people in this thread are so anti Gerry Adams. Yeah he is not an angel but neither were the British army. It was a war, it's not supposed to be pretty.

I don't want any British soldiers to go to jail because what they done was done in war and should be forget. But if you're going to start to put members of the IRA in prison for stuff they done in war in bad. Noting good will come out of it, we are supposed to be moving on not going backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I'm speechless. Why don't you ring the PSNI and report the man for withholding information about a crime? Hopefully you'll get arrested for wasting police time. Idiotic post.

Yes mrsbyrne you have managed yet another idiotic post

vitani wrote: »
    Oh, FFS. There's no proof she was an informer. And even if she was, it doesn't justify ripping her from the arms of her crying children, torturing her, killing her and then hiding the body. Before kidnapping her eleven year old son and beating him for hours so that he'll keep his mouth shut.

Look I'm not saying it was right but those were dark times in our history. What about all the innocent people killed by the British. Not happens to those soldiers....

Move on ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Look I'm not saying it was right but those were dark times in our history. What about all the innocent people killed by the British. Not happens to those soldiers....

Move on ffs
    What about them? If you're pulled over by the guards for speeding do you ask them what about all the other people speeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

C'mon everybody do the Shinnerbot with me.

1) It was a war, **** happens.
    2) The Brits did bad stuff too
    3) Ah shur we all have a murky past don't we?

Homophobic insult optional.

:rolleyes:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What about them? If you're pulled over by the guards for speeding do you ask them what about all the other people speeding?

What is that supposed to mean? Pretty much the British prime minster said a few years ago "Yeah it was bad that innocent civilians got killed by British soldiers during the troubles but sh*t happens we are very sorry." Why is it okay for one side to get off Scott free but another side is held for their actions.

I don't see them going to jail, why can't we just move on :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Homophobic insult optional.

Whats that all about??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What's idiotic about it? He 'knows' who killed her. He's happy enough to come out and tell the world that he knows who killed her, but he refuses to tell police what he knows regarding an active murder investigation.

Surely his silence is standing in the way of justice? Just because he's her son doesn't mean that isn't true.

So let me get this straight.

Jean McConvilles son has known who killed his mother all along, but in 42 years has failed to ever be interviewed or questioned about it?

For 27 years whilst her body was missing, he failed to ever name someone who he felt was involved in the murder of his own mother that would assist in the recovery of her body.

I'm sorry folks but that is completely off the bleeding wall. Even by IRA and Northern Ireland's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What is that supposed to mean? Pretty much the British prime minster said a few years ago "Yeah it was bad that innocent civilians got killed by British soldiers during the troubles but sh*t happens we are very sorry."

I don't see them going to jail, why can't we just move on :confused:
    Whether British officers have or have not done anything wrong is irrelevant to this case.

You don't get away with murder just because someone else has gotten away with murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Whats that all about??

Someone bizarrely told someone else to organise a gay pride parade or something like that last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Whether British officers have or have not done anything wrong is irrelevant to this case.

You don't get away with murder just because someone else has gotten away with murder.

You do when it's a war.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement