Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Whether British officers have or have not done anything wrong is irrelevant to this case.

You don't get away with murder just because someone else has gotten away with murder.

Well if it came out tomorrow someone just walked out of court even though they murdered someone, yes it would set a precedent and open cans of worms.

But it's ludicrous to think it would ever happen in a normal society.

But it has with the British government and the British army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Yes mrsbyrne you have managed yet another idiotic post

Give us a list of my idiotic posts then.
    Its great to see the IRA apologists losing it because the McConvilles won't just go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

Whether British officers have or have not done anything wrong is irrelevant to this case.

You don't get away with murder just because someone else has gotten away with murder.

We are not talking about now days, we are talking about a time of trouble. We all know that the British solders will NEVER go to jail for what they done to innocent people. We just need to move on and stop bringing up sh*t that will have no positive impact.

lol it was a war

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bambi wrote: »
    is this guy basically saying that he and his siblings know who did it but they arent telling?

some family of geniuses if thats the case

Would you do it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Christ this thread is getting more and more idiotic. Now it's the son's fault. Let's just toss him in prison then and send a letter to the Pope to get the process going on giving us St.Gerry.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

K-9 wrote: »
    Would you do it?

For Justice for my mother, I would yes.

I would also expect to be relocated under witness protection program.

But then I suppose it depends on how credible my belief is as to who were the perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

We are not talking about now days, we are talking about a time of trouble. We all know that the British solders will NEVER go to jail for what they done to innocent people. We just need to move on and stop bringing up sh*t that will have no positive impact.

lol it was a war
    Repeating it was a war is pointless because I don't believe it was a war, I see it as a ethno-religious rooted civil unrest.

Whether anyone else did or did not get away with murder is no reason to allow the IRA to get away with torturing and murdering a young woman and Gerry if he is responsible in any way needs to answer for his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Christ this thread is getting more and more idiotic. Now it's the son's fault. Let's just toss him in prison then and send a letter to the Pope to get the process going on giving us St.Gerry.:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has said its the sons fault, its a fair point that has been highlighted. If he or other members of the McConville family personally knew the people who took their Mother away, why can't they stand up in Court and say this?

To be fair here I don't see anyone suggesting it's the sons fault.

I just don't believe it credible he's known the past 40 years.

Well if it came out tomorrow someone just walked out of court even though they murdered someone, yes it would set a precedent and open cans of worms.

But it's ludicrous to think it would ever happen in a normal society.

But it has with the British government and the British army
    Obviously that's not what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Why do all the British Army apologists hide under the McConville umbrella? Perhaps it's to varnish the guilt of being seen as traitors to the stated Sinn Fein aim of a free 32 County Ireland.

Sinn Féin is an Irish Republican party. Its objective is to end British rule in Ireland. It seeks national self-determination, the unity and independence of Ireland as a sovereign state.
    Sinn Féin is committed to the transformation of Irish society and to a negotiated and democratic settlement. It knows that peace is not simply the absence of violence. Real peace - a lasting peace - is based on democracy, justice, freedom and equality.
    Sinn Féin has a vision that sees beyond the present conflict and beyond the present phase of Irish history. The party's vision foresees the unity of the people of this island. It is a vision for the redistribution of wealth, for the well-being of the aged, for the advancement of youth, for the liberation of women and for the protection of Irish children. It is a vision for a free Ireland and a free people.
    Sinn Féin is committed to its peace strategy. It has sought with honesty and integrity to construct a peace process which reaches out and embraces everyone on the island on the basis of equality. Its objective must be for an agreement that will earn the allegiance and respect of all sections of the Irish people.
    To achieve these objectives, Sinn Féin backs the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which the party reached with the other northern parties and the Irish and British governments following multi-party negotiations in Belfast. These negotiations arose from the Irish Peace Process, itself initiated in discussions begun several years ago.

Sinn Féin's peace strategy was supported by the end of the armed campaign by the Irish Republican Army and was endorsed again by the decisions taken at the party's annual Ard Fheiseanna [annual conferences].

Through its leadership, the Ard Chomhairle, Sinn Féin maintains its goal of a just and lasting peace as part of its agenda for change.

Elections continue to produce further gains for the party. In the Six Counties, Sinn Féin is the leading nationalist party. It has five Westminster MPs, 30 MLAs, and 126 councillors. In the 26 Counties, the party currently has 14 TDs and 106 councillors.

Repeating it was a war is pointless because I don't believe it was a war, I see it as a ethno-religious rooted civil unrest.

Whether anyone else did or did not get away with murder is no reason to allow the IRA to get away with torturing and murdering a young woman and Gerry if he is responsible in any way needs to answer for his crimes.

Why should the British Army get away with the atrocities they carried out?

Why should the British Army get away with the atrocities they carried out?
    If you believe they committed atrocities go and campaign for justice but don't derail a thread on McConville.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

If you believe they committed atrocities go and campaign for justice but don't derail a thread on McConville.

Fair play, you dodged that one well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Why do all the British Army apologists hide under the McConville umbrella? Perhaps it's to varnish the guilt of being seen as traitors to the stated Sinn Fein aim of a free 32 County Ireland.

Sinn Féin is an Irish Republican party. Its objective is to end British rule in Ireland. It seeks national self-determination, the unity and independence of Ireland as a sovereign state.
    Sinn Féin is committed to the transformation of Irish society and to a negotiated and democratic settlement. It knows that peace is not simply the absence of violence. Real peace - a lasting peace - is based on democracy, justice, freedom and equality.
    Sinn Féin has a vision that sees beyond the present conflict and beyond the present phase of Irish history. The party's vision foresees the unity of the people of this island. It is a vision for the redistribution of wealth, for the well-being of the aged, for the advancement of youth, for the liberation of women and for the protection of Irish children. It is a vision for a free Ireland and a free people.
    Sinn Féin is committed to its peace strategy. It has sought with honesty and integrity to construct a peace process which reaches out and embraces everyone on the island on the basis of equality. Its objective must be for an agreement that will earn the allegiance and respect of all sections of the Irish people.
    To achieve these objectives, Sinn Féin backs the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which the party reached with the other northern parties and the Irish and British governments following multi-party negotiations in Belfast. These negotiations arose from the Irish Peace Process, itself initiated in discussions begun several years ago.

Sinn Féin's peace strategy was supported by the end of the armed campaign by the Irish Republican Army and was endorsed again by the decisions taken at the party's annual Ard Fheiseanna [annual conferences].

Through its leadership, the Ard Chomhairle, Sinn Féin maintains its goal of a just and lasting peace as part of its agenda for change.

Elections continue to produce further gains for the party. In the Six Counties, Sinn Féin is the leading nationalist party. It has five Westminster MPs, 30 MLAs, and 126 councillors. In the 26 Counties, the party currently has 14 TDs and 106 councillors.

Bet I'm not the only one who skipped past this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Oh look, its the "15 wrongs make a right" argument.
    Concentrate lads, we are talking about the McConville murder and Adam's role in it.

<not sure how that smiley face got in there..>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Yeah it confuses me that people in this thread are so anti Gerry Adams. Yeah he is not an angel but neither were the British army. It was a war, it's not supposed to be pretty.

I don't want any British soldiers to go to jail because what they done was done in war and should be forget. But if you're going to start to put members of the IRA in prison for stuff they done in war in bad. Noting good will come out of it, we are supposed to be moving on not going backwards.

Britain has had a long bloody history in Ireland and not one of their commanders or politicians has ever seen the inside of a cell.

It's not Sinn Feins call to get amnesties for British soldiers. If they supported such a move, they would lose lots of support.

The way the Brits see it is if Ireland ever becomes a 32 county sovereign state, the Government of that state can hold it's own judicial inquiry and if people are found guilty in abstentia, their extradition can be sought).

Imo, British soldiers don't deserve any amnesty for what they done. These people should see the inside of a cell because they are criminals plain and simple.

Somebody has to answer for Britain's role in Ireland's political conflict and these murderers are the perfect candidates to be made an example of (which I'm sure there are many more recent candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What's needed is a peace and reconciliation process like that of s. Africa. These tit for tat arguments end up going nowhere, it might help clear the air so people can move on from tyhe troubles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Surely you mean Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The really sad thing, is that the IRA thugs wouldn't have been able to continue their horrendous campaign of murder and terror for so long without the support of people such as the Shinner apologists stinking up this thread.

If they had any sense of self-awareness or just common human decency they'd be ashamed of their defence of such vicious acts.

Thank Christ they'll never amount to anything more than a tiny but shameful part of our electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's needed is a peace and reconciliation process like that of s. Africa. These tit for tat arguments end up going nowhere, it might help clear the air so people can move on from tyhe troubles.

Funnily enough SF are the only ones interested in having one, the governments of NI, the Republic and the UK all run a mile whenever it's suggested!

And people then wonder and complain about all the tribal myth-making that goes on :rolleyes:

For Justice for my mother, I would yes.

I would also expect to be relocated under witness protection program.

But then I suppose it depends on how credible my belief is as to who were the perpetrators.

Exactly, witness protection. The McCartney's did go to the authorities, look how that worked out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The really sad thing, is that the IRA thugs wouldn't have been able to continue their horrendous campaign of murder and terror for so long without the support of people such as the Shinner apologists stinking up this thread.

If they had any sense of self-awareness or just common human decency they'd be ashamed of their defence of such vicious acts.

Thank Christ they'll never amount to anything more than a tiny but shameful part of our electorate.

The IRA arose as a response to brutal attacks and discrimination on the nationalist community.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

K-9 wrote: »
    Exactly, witness protection. The McCartney's did go to the authorities, look how that worked out.

So he's right to refuse to give a police statement? They want justice, which would involve other people standing up and giving testimonies but are not prepared to do so themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The UK government through it's "independent" police service arrest an Irish TD, where is the outrage?

When is Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore calling in the ambassador of the UK into the Department of Foreign Affairs to protest against this outrages act of detaining a sitting member of the Dáil.

If the Garda would arrest an English MP I'm sure the English would threaten us with invasion if we don't release him forthwith. They have started wars over less (like fake documents).

Thanks to the Gods he was not traveling on official business and hence did not have a diplomatic passport. But when will the Irish embassy in London fly over someone to Belfast to offer consular assistance to the poor Mr. Adams, I'm sure he is entitled and in need of consular assistance.

When is SF organizing the demo in front of the UK embassy with "Free Adams" posters?

He is a British citizen, he was arrested on British soil. Being a member of the dail does not give you diplomatic immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Why do all the British Army apologists hide under the McConville umbrella?
    Why is deflection and strawmannery so popular with SF posters?
    Perhaps it's to varnish the guilt of being seen as traitors to the stated Sinn Fein aim of a free 32 County Ireland.
    "Support us or else you're a traitor." Well, that's very New Dispensation, isn't it?
    [SF website megaquote]

There's being a Shinnerbot, and then there's being a Shinnerspambot. Spare us.

So he's right to refuse to give a police statement? They want justice, which would involve other people standing up and giving testimonies but are not prepared to do so themselves.

As I said, given how SF/IRA was interested in the truth in the McCartney case, I wouldn't blame him. At least you've gone past the whataboutery to good old who gives a feck about the victim, he's asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bumper234 wrote: »
    He is a British citizen, he was arrested on British soil. Being a member of the dail does not give you diplomatic immunity.

Gerry Adams is not a British citizen, nor was he arrested on 'British soil' . C'mon now. Troll harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gerry Adams is not a British citizen, nor was he arrested on 'British soil' . C'mon now. Troll harder.

It is British soil we gave up any claim to the North in the GFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Surely you mean Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland?

When SF say they want "full implementation" of the Good Friday Agreement, they consider themselves to have an opt-out for the "calling countries by their actual names" part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement