Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    1. Provide proof that 1000 people killed by the IRA were security forces.
    2. Members of the police or armed forces not human beings with a right to life.

Now he will say that soldiers were "legitimate" targets.

Used to always make me laugh how the IRA would shoot a BA soldier in cold blood and claim it was a legitimate kill but as soon as one of those brave boyo's got taken out (usually while on their way to shoot or blow up someone) sinn fein would be whinging about a "shoot to kill policy" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ludo wrote: »
    oh gawd...are you really gonna play the UK v GB card?

In a thread that so often posters are calling for truth and facts, little details like this are important.

Leaving aside any uk/Britain/Irish soil reference, it is a fact that Gerry Adams is an Irish citizen.

He has the right to self determination, and the fact that some on here start espousing complete BS re "repudiation" and a "citizen of the United Kingdom" shows them up completely as not really having a clue what they think they're actually subscribing to tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

1. Members of the police or armed forces not human beings with a right to life.

They got what they deserved in my opinion. Nobody put a gun to their head and instructed them to go and occupy another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

1. Provide proof that 1000 people killed by the IRA were security forces.
    2. Members of the police or armed forces not human beings with a right to life.
    ....amazing how you only play the whole "Oh the humanity" thing when its republicans being discussed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

1019 + 363 = 1382
    now minus 1000 security forces killed by republicans;)

That's probably one of the sickest things I have seen posted on boards.
    Life is valid, regardless of who it may belong to.
    Republican, Loyalist, Nationalist, Unionist, Professional Soldier, Paramilitary, Policeman, Garda, woman who gave assistance to a dying man, man who happened to be driving a taxi in the wrong area, men in a drinking club, people in a van going to a gig, people on their way to a match, judges in their car, former Viceroys to India, children who happened to be on his boat, kids who were on the wrong street.
    None of it was a valid.
    It's disgusting how human life is seen as expendable in terms of "the cause" regardless of whose cause it might be.
    Every revolutionary seems to conjure up justification for someone else to be thrown onto the pyre.
    Just watch, come 2016 all the horsesh1t about the "brave few" and what they started, forgetting they were men and women without a mandate acting against the interests of the country on the verge of home rule.
    At least events like Adam's arrest might put that party a few seats away from the centre, where they wish they could be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

William F wrote: »
    How long can he be detained for? The last I heard, habeas corpus is no longer practiced in Northern Ireland.

28 days with appropriate approval

From the Irish Times
    He is being held at the PSNI’s Serious Crime Suite at Antrim police station under the Terrorism Act 2000 which means he can be held for up to maximum 28 days.

However, under a series of checks and balances, extensions to the questioning period must be sought and obtained throughout.

Police can hold Mr Adams for up to 48 hours from the time of arrest. After they point they must apply in court to have the time of detention extended.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's probably one of the sickest things I have seen posted on boards.
    Life is valid, regardless of who it may belong to........

Yet sometimes armed struggle is nessecary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nodin wrote: »
    59 of whom were civilians...

In YOUR opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

bumper234 wrote: »
    Now he will say that soldiers were "legitimate" targets.

Used to always make me laugh how the IRA would shoot a BA soldier in cold blood and claim it was a legitimate kill but as soon as one of those brave boyo's got taken out (usually while on their way to shoot or blow up someone) sinn fein would be whinging about a "shoot to kill policy" :rolleyes:

The brave Ra boys would hide in a ditch, ambush a few 19year old kids, run off, and some ****ehawks would write a ballad of their glorious actions.

• Advertisement

In YOUR opinion.

So you're a pacifist? And its a yes or no answer to that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, no it's not.

The brave Ra boys would hide in a ditch, ambush a few 19year old kids, run off, and some ****ehawks would write a ballad of their glorious actions.

Yes, poor trained armed 19 year old soldiers.

How do you think they organise ambush in a "proper" army? Just as a matter of interest.

So you're a pacifist? And its a yes or no answer to that one.
    Nothing is ever as simple as yes or no Nodin, you should know that.

To answer your question I would not generally categorize myself as a pacifist but I certainly don't condone the actions of terrorists.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, no it's not.

Ever?

It is when it comes to "are you a pacifist" lets face it. Are you one or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »

Who were the twenty six people shot (13 dead, seven of which only teenagers) on their way to "shoot and or blow up" in 1972?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

This was probably more common in the War of Independence I'd say. Some pretty dire ballads written about ambushes during this time alright, rarely hear them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

In a thread that so often posters are calling for truth and facts, little details like this are important.

Leaving aside any uk/Britain/irish soil reference, it is a fact that Gerry Adams is an Irish citizen.
    Little details like "completely changing the question at hand". Subtle. Certainly it's a fact that GA is an Irish citizen. It's also a fact the he was a British citizen from birth, and remains one unless he's repudiated this.
    He has the right to self determination, and the fact that some on here start espousing complete BS re "repudiation" and a "citizen of the United Kingdom" shows them up completely as not really having a clue what they're actually subscribing to tbh.

He has the right to self-determination. The lack of clue here is people entirely erasing the distinction in having a right to one citizenship, the other, or both (which everyone of British or Irish descent born in NI has, as affirmed by the GFA (as shamefully cherrypicked in this very thread)), and actually having exercised it.

It is when it comes to "are you a pacifist" lets face it. Are you one or not?
    No, it isn't. If you want any sort of reasonable answer you're going to have to be less general, conditionalize your question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Yes, poor trained armed 19 year old soldiers.

How do you think they organise ambush in a "proper" army? Just as a matter of interest.

Doesn't take a huge amount of organisation or training to arrange such actions.

Just a complete lack of morality.

Morality is only an issue for humans, not beasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Because firing high explosive rounds from a helicopter gunship is only capable of the most brave of soldiers?

Ambushing soldiers requires a "lack of morality"? Hmmm. We've at least one ex-soldier here who was probably trained how to ambush other troops. He might make some interesting points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

To answer your question I would not generally categorize myself as a pacifist but I certainly don't condone the actions of terrorists .

Terrorist or the dreamer.

Savage or the brave?

Depends on whose vote you're trying to catch, whose face you're trying to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

There's no shortage of Anglo-Irish in this thread, is cricket season over or what fellas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

he is an irish citizen arrested in ireland by foreign invaders

Should we split this topic, rather than between "politics" and "after hours", but between "peace process supporting", "cherrypickers only", "soft skeptics", and "hardliners"? Because this "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" stuff gets rather tedious after a while.

To answer your question I would not generally categorize myself as a pacifist but I certainly don't condone the actions of terrorists.

So there is - contrary to what you tried to imply back here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90195683&postcount=703
    times when armed struggle is indeed justified.

Morality is only an issue for humans, not beasts.

Careful you don't fall off that high horse there.

• Advertisement

Terrorist or the dreamer.

Savage or the brave?

Depends on whose vote you're trying to catch, whose face you're trying to save.
    I would agree to that, though to my mind they are terrorists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement