Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nodin wrote: »
    So there is - contrary to what you tried to imply back here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90195683&postcount=703
    times when armed struggle is indeed justified.
    I implied no such thing.

Careful you don't fall off that high horse there.
    I just find it hilarious you manage to berate the British for carrying out violence when the IRA who you worship carried out far more killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

orangesoda wrote: »
    There's no shortage of Anglo-Irish in this thread, is cricket season over or what fellas?

Yeah the uncle Toms are out in force as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I implied no such thing.

No, no, no. You implied that the notion that there were occasionally grounds for armed struggle was "my" opinion, ie one not shared by others and certainly not by you. Yet you concede that there are times when its nessecary.

I just find it hilarious you manage to berate the British for carrying out violence when the IRA who you worship carried out far more killings.

The violence is the means. The end was supporting a sectarian statelet and therefore it was unjustified. It's fairly simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

He most certainly is not a citizen of the United Kingdom because such thing does not exist.
    The semantic distance between "citizen of the United Kingdom" and "British citizen" is null. The official name of citizenship of UKGB&NI is "British citizen". The country of origin of a British citizen is the United Kingdom. This is precisely like the "no such country as the Republic of Ireland" riffs some people are so fond of having, and not far off Lewis Carroll. "The song's name is called Haddocks' Eyes. The song's name is The Aged Aged Man. The song is called Ways and Means. The song is A-sitting on a Gate."
    He could be a British Citizen next to his Irish Citizenship because he was born in Northern Ireland.
    And indeed, he necessarily is, unless he's disclaimed it, or has been legally stripped of it by the UK. That's just a consequence of UK law. (Though I'm sure he'd argue "I never disclaimed it because I never recognised I ever had it", and I doubt the UK government would trouble to make a particular issue out of it. Witness the large amount of blather involved in Adams' "resignation" from the House of Commons.)
    If he has a passport of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland his citizenship than would show "British Citizen" not "united Kingdom".
    Citizenship is not dependent on having a passport. Do you think there are thousands of late-teens in NI that are formally stateless because they haven't bothered getting a passport yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Thelonious wrote: »
    Yeah the uncle Toms are out in force as usual.

What's the deal with this Uncle Tom thing?

Anybody who doesn't worship Gerry & the IRA is a traitor?

Is Uncle Tom the new West Brit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Of the estimated 350-400 murders by British security forces approx 50% were civilians.

And of the Loyalist gangs a massive 85% were civilians.

The violence is the means. The end was supporting a sectarian statelet and therefore it was unjustified. It's fairly simple.
    I'm sorry have I missed something, are British soldiers not human beings with thoughts, feelings, emotions and families?

Or do the evil operatives of the British empire have no right to life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The semantic distance between "citizen of the United Kingdom" and "British citizen" is null. The official name of citizenship of UKGB&NI is "British citizen". The country of origin of a British citizen is the United Kingdom. This is precisely like the "no such country as the Republic of Ireland" riffs some people are so fond of having, and not far off Lewis Carroll. "The song's name is called Haddocks' Eyes. The song's name is The Aged Aged Man. The song is called Ways and Means. The song is A-sitting on a Gate."

And indeed, he necessarily is, unless he's disclaimed it, or has been legally stripped of it by the UK. That's just a consequence of UK law. (Though I'm sure he'd argue "I never disclaimed it because I never recognised I ever had it", and I doubt the UK government would trouble to make a particular issue out of it. Witness the large amount of blather involved in Adams' "resignation" from the House of Commons.)

Citizenship is not dependent on having a passport. Do you think there are thousands of late-teens in NI that are formally stateless because they haven't bothered getting a passport yet?

Dude.

Seriously, this **** is old, and no one gives a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Shinerbots out in force on this thread.

Anyway good to see the psni still investigating this act of extreme scumminess.

wazky wrote: »
    Of the estimated 350-400 murders by British security forces approx 50% were civilians.

And of the Loyalist gangs a massive 85% were civilians.
    Had the IRA worn uniforms and met the British on a battlefield the number of civilians killed would have been 0%

I'm sorry have I missed something, are British soldiers not human beings with thoughts, feelings, emotions and families?

Or do the evil operatives of the British empire have no right to life?

It's an armed conflict. If you want to lay out a plan whereby armed conflict can take place (and you do support armed conflict in some circumstances) without the loss of life I and the rest of the world would really like to hear it.

Had the IRA worn uniforms and met the British on a battlefield the number of civilians killed would have been 0%

Not aware of any war with no civilian casualties, ever. You might tell us where you're getting that notion from?

Whatabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

You find that hilarious? Jaysus, you must getting nothing done all day laughing at yourself if that's the case

Whatabout?

If republicans had fought with feathers and pillows, it wouldn't be enough for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wetdarknight2

His days are numbered. Never trust man with a beard, he is always hiding behind something.

It's an armed conflict. If you want to lay out a plan whereby armed conflict can take place (and you do support armed conflict in some circumstances) without the loss of life I and the rest of the world would really like to hear it.
    Well I would have rather have no armed conflict at all but you see I'm weird like that.

How many Shinnerbots does it take to justify the torture and murder of a mother of ten children?

About five.

Or as I prefer to say, 'an irrelevance'.

• Advertisement

Sorry to sidetrack, but at the end of WW2 who raised Dresden to ground with approx 25,000 people killed?, did the German not fight with uniforms either I suppose?

You find that hilarious? Jaysus, you must getting nothing done all day laughing at yourself if that's the case

It's even more hilarious when you consider the fact I've never taken some pacifistic attitude towards the matter and 'condemned violence'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

It's about the tenth time that this has been said in the thread. Are you the bot?

Sorry to sidetrack, but at the end of WW2 who raised Dresden to ground with approx 25,000 people killed?, did the German not fight with uniforms either I suppose?
    Do you really believe the British would have done the same to Belfast had the IRA fought in uniform? Try not to wander too far into silly land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I have never voted for Sinn Fein

Do you really believe the British would have done the same to Belfast had the IRA fought in uniform? Try not to wander too far into silly land.

What? Shot down civillians in the street like the early 1970's?

Well, they did it in Burma, Aden, Cyprus, Egypt, Kenya, Uganda......

Totally different scenario but it was just an example how idiotic your statement that if it had been a conventional war, that the civilian death toll would have been 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The reality is Mr. Adams is now a serious liability for Sinn Fein.

How much longer will it take before his Party dump him?

As long as there is doubt over Adams, Sinn Fein cannot be seen as party with credibility .

If Adams was a member of IRA and had an involvement in Mrs. McConville's murder, Sinn Fein may as well take down their election posters, because their game is over.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Unless you class your self as a "shinnerbot" I'm lost as to why you felt the need to inform anyone whom you have, or have never voted for tbh. :confused:

• Advertisement

Barstool too comfy to make it to the polling station?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement