Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Happyman42 wrote: »
    If a dog attacks your child and you do 'nothing'...what is your doing 'nothing allowing the dog to do?
    In real life you are participating (passively, but participating just the same) in the butchery of your child.
    A ridiculous comparison, a more accurate comparison would be not stepping in when two dogs that don't belong to you decide to rip holes in one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

It's the partitionists and the hysterical that are on the wane.

It's almost as though they actually long for the dark days of violence to return in order to vindicate their twisted prejudice against nationalists. It's a strange psychosis they suffer from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

You can take comfort in the fact that you don't involve yourself in 'Whataboutery'.

In fact, most of your posts seem to lack any substance at all! We could replace you with a bot spamming the words 'Shinnerbot' and 'Whataboutery' and nobody would notice.

I actually feel a little bit sorry for you.
    That's your best riposte?

excuse me, I'm off to cry myself to sleep - you really hurt my feelings :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    A ridiculous comparison, a more accurate comparison would be not stepping in when two dogs that don't belong to you decide to rip holes in one another.

By allowing them to do it and you have the power to stop it, then you are participating. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I just ignored it, that's the best thing to do when someone tries to derail things like that.

It was a pretty valid point.

You claimed that the moral high ground could only be occupied by those who had never involved themselves with or supported murder in Northern Ireland. Yet a couple of posts back you were comparing the number of civilians killed by each of the players, as if it somehow offered one side more respectability than the other.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90196014&postcount=726

I'm sure I'm not the only person struggling to understand what your actual position is. It seems you're a pacifist when it suits.

• Advertisement

porsche959 wrote: »
    It's almost as though they actually long for the dark days of violence to return in order to vindicate their twisted prejudice against nationalists. It's a strange psychosis they suffer from.

They don't know what they want, and never did. They seem to get off on condemnation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

By allowing them to do it and you have the power to stop it, then you are participating. Try again.
    I no more have power to stop two dogs fighting than I do to stop two paramilitaries blowing each other up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Doing nothing while others are murdering your kids is little other than being a ****ing first-class coward.

Enable thine enemy by sitting on your hands while they do their evil deeds?

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I actually feel a little bit sorry for you.
    That's your best riposte?

excuse me, I'm off to cry myself to sleep - you really hurt my feelings :pac:

Well, if your response is to go cry yourself to sleep, I think it was pretty successful.

Good night, pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

porsche959 wrote: »
    In your dreams! Nothing's going to happen. NI secretary is already making noises about dangers of disrupting peace process.

Ah yes. If the Shinbots don't get what they want, they'll 'let the boys loose again'.

They haven't gone away you know.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

If a dog attacks your child and you do 'nothing'...what is your doing 'nothing allowing the dog to do?
    In real life you are participating (passively, but participating just the same) in the butchery of your child.

The only butchery going on here is of the English language. You can't just make up new meanings for words and expect people to take you seriously.

The two dogs are a danger to society.
    Best if they rip each other's throats out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

del, you're overestimating the brainpower of you're average Shinbot.

I know they're scum. You know they're scum.

Still. People will vote for them & support them.

Also, in fairness, the people who've been running this country have a lot to answer for too...& the electorate want/need to have something new to believe in.

Enter Shinbot.

My little hatchling, you have got to understand the reality, that Sinn Féin have done a serious amount of work for peace do you not think. Calling Sinn Féin scum is... in my opinion, an uneducated remark from a person that sees through a very foggy window. Maybe it's time to wipe the window clean for clarity.

My little hatchling, you have got to understand the reality, that Sinn Féin have done a serious amount of work for peace do you not think. Calling Sinn Féin scum is... in my opinion, an uneducated remark from a person that sees through a very foggy window. Maybe it's time to wipe the window clean for clarity.

Maybe it's time you grew a brain for yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This post really should be tested for unintentional irony, the levels are way too high.

Maybe it's time you grew a brain for yourself.

Attack the post, not the poster. Even I read the charter. Be nice, if you don't agree, just say so, no point in personal attack my dear friend.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This post really should be tested for unintentional irony, the levels are way too high.

Just because it might seem high to you, it is quite possible that it is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, this won't be popular, but Nationalism and Patriotism is a sickness, it poisons instead of empowers people, enhances division and should be consigned to history with embarrassment that we were ever so foolish to worship a flag.

And isn't it grand to live in a country where you have the freedom to denigrate nationalism and patriotism?

Terrible wrongs were done to innocent people on both sides of the conflict, but when is it time to move on? Do we want the next generation to be as hate filled as some of this generation?

There may be some members of Sinn Fein who were, at one time or another, involved in the IRA, but there are many more who were not and wish to do their best to move on. Unfortunately, they all get tarred with the same brush as those who went before them and even now, you watch as the Taoiseach sneers and finger points whenever they attempt to ask a question about any subject on behalf of the people they represent and were democratically elected by. This thread just seems to be a microcosm of that whole attitude.

If we never move on, the cycle just perpetuates and the hostility passes to the next generation and then you have to ask yourself, what on earth was the peace process for in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

rockbeast wrote: »
    Why?

As I stated previously stated in this thread, a contrarian opinion is the vital element of a democracy....

I'm being a contrarian.

Suck it up.

If your vote is worthy then your candidate will ascend to a position of influence...

That's the voting system, dude.

I don't care who you vote for man. I would just have thought you would have a better reason for popping your voting cherry than voting for a party of unsavoury chancers who oppose government policy without putting forward any alternatives themselves. It surely must not take much intellect to see through that strategy? Although it's naive "contrarians" like yourself that they are targeting so well, so they deserve some credit for that.

Attack the post, not the poster. Even I read the charter. Be nice, if you don't agree, just say so, no point in personal attack my dear friend.

Well 'friend' I was just giving you a little good advise for your good self.

Run along now with your fellow travellers 'friend'.

Never ever try to patronise me with your 'my little hatchling' sh1t ever again!

• Advertisement

Arf :rolleyes:

The only butchery going on here is of the English language. You can't just make up new meanings for words and expect people to take you seriously.

People who 'do nothing' in a time of crisis are generally consumed by guilt when the consequences hit home. Normal people that is.
    High moral grounders are neither normal nor plentiful, thankfully and most people see the imperatives that those in a crisis are faced with and can emphatise.
    Sinn Fein calls those people their electorate and it is growing across the island. No myth there!

And isn't it grand to live in a country where you have the freedom to denigrate nationalism and patriotism?

Terrible wrongs were done to innocent people on both sides of the conflict, but when is it time to move on? Do we want the next generation to be as hate filled as some of this .
    There may be some members of Sinn Fein who were, at one time or another, involved in the IRA, but there are many more who were not and wish to do their best to move on. Unfortunately, they all get tarred with the same brush as those who went before them and even now, you watch as the Taoiseach sneers and finger points whenever they attempt to ask a question about any subject on behalf of the people they represent and were democratically elected by. This thread just seems to be a microcosm of that whole attitude.

If we never move on, the cycle just perpetuates and the hostility passes to the next generation and then you have to ask yourself, what on earth was the peace process for in the first place?

They've chosen to lie down with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

They've chosen to lie down with dogs.

So, we should never move on from the past? Ever?

There are other options.

Why row behind Gerry & the IRA?

There are other options.

Why row behind Gerry & the IRA?

Well 'friend' I was just giving you a little good advise for your good self.

Run along now with your fellow travellers 'friend'.

Never ever try to patronise me with your 'my little hatchling' sh1t ever again!

Fellow travellers I would assume to be Sinn Féin ? am I correct.

Anyway, the war for independence was a long time ago, and is the far past. I always give them a vote, but I have a certain independent that gets my No.1 vote (not FF nor FG or Labour - or even Sinn Féin) The past will be brought up for many decades to come by opposition TD's and politicians in a war against Sinn Féin, so it will go on and on with some people.

The amount of crap on this thread from some commenter's is amusing to say the least, they attack without knowledge on the subject, or maybe entered this world recently without the history education.

I hate the **** they stand for right now.

I hate

There was me thinking you had a reasoned political standpoint. Silly me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I hate the **** they stand for right now.

You should get a life outside hating SF, hating SF is really rather neurotic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement