Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    AFAIK he never colluded with the enemy

And here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

In the medium term it might help Sinn Fein's Election prospects in the Republic.

If Adams resigns and one of the younger generation (Mary Lou McDonald or Pearse Doherty) takes over it would make them more acceptable to some voters who would never consider them while the Armalite Generation are still running their Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    AFAIK he never colluded with the enemy

But you haven't ruled out the possibility? There are rumors that Gerry was another Steak Knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Supporters will still think the sun shines out his arse, the rest of us will still despise him for what he is. And the world keeps turning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But you haven't ruled out the possibility? There are rumors that Gerry was another Steak Knife.

Those rumours were about Martin, if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will the Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead get free legal aid?

Reporting it on sky news now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He will hardly be found dumped at the border with his hands tied behind his back and a bullet in his head.

Even better he'll never be one of the disappeared, and his family will never have to suffer that trauma

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Good for him. When he's inevitably released without charge I hope to see others here call for the more corrupt politicians to be arrested :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bumper234 wrote: »
    Reporting it on sky news now.

That will be covered with their usual blend of factual reporting, balance and considered opinion then.

Has he been arrested?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MadsL wrote: »

Has he been arrested?

Yes

That will be covered with their usual blend of factual reporting, balance and considered opinion then.

Has he been arrested?

They're saying arrested, reason i said sky news is it's now gone worldwide and not just local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sinn Fein will never hold power in this state

Thankfully, I think it's up to the ballot box to decide that. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Perfect timing for the local elections!

Great that people get a reminder of the kind of scummy murderous behaviour the Shinners/IRA got up to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

In Ireland you have to be arrested to be interviewed. An arrest in itself simply means there are questions they want to put to you. It's a pretty ****ty system when you think about it. There is no way to formally interview a suspect without arresting them first. It may be the same in NI.

That's búll****. You can agree to be interviewed under caution without being arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

In Ireland you have to be arrested to be interviewed. An arrest in itself simply means there are questions they want to put to you. It's a pretty ****ty system when you think about it. There is no way to formally interview a suspect without arresting them first. It may be the same in NI.
    Yes I think it may be something similar. Anything said by Adams prior to arrest wouldn't carry as much weight (for the prosecution) in a trial as that after he was read his rights.

Now if he were to be charged, that's when things would become interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ah well.

Sure let him get it out of the way.

(Awaits the cries of injustice when charges are dropped)

In the meantime ... popcorn.

all the one....the most he'll do is two years AFAIK....would appear to be a cynical attempt to have him away for 2016.

Will the Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead get free legal aid?

whats david milliband got to do with this:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Never trusted him, not once. SF supporters in the Republic seem determined to play down SF's enthusiasm for shooting and exploding people for political gain up to a few years ago. SF will never get my vote. Terrorism should never hold a place in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Why? Can do no worse than the period blotches that are in power at the minute.

Of course they could. A single-issue party like SF or the Greens tends to attract people who are so blinded by the issue that they're clueless about anything else. With both parties, while there's some with a grasp of wider economic and social issues, you also have the die hard environmentalists/republicans who shouldn't be in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Has he been arrested?
    HE voluntarily presented himself, he had his lawyers in contact with the PSNI for the past month to see if they wanted to talk to him. I believe when he walked in they formally arrested him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Nodin wrote: »
    Those rumours were about Martin, if I recall correctly.

Maybe that's what Agent Adams would like you to believe Nodin. If that is your real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

can he actually go to jail because of the good friday deal?

Yes he could, the good Friday deal was retrospective iirc, not looking at crimes which could be prosecuted in the future, and there is no statute of limitation on murder, or conspiracy to commit it, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Never trusted him, not once. SF supporters in the Republic seem determined to play down SF's enthusiasm for shooting and exploding people for political gain up to a few years ago. SF will never get my vote. Terrorism should never hold a place in politics.

That's labour ff and fg fecked so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I mean, damn. This wasn't like a shooting of a rival paramilitary group member. This was an "innocent" woman with kids. They can't spin it in their favor in any way
    I dont agree with her murder but how do we know she didnt pass on information? civilians at the time were aware of the consequence of being a tout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

At the very max he could spend two years. But its unlikely it will get that far imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

only took 40+ years:pac:

I would have no bother with that tbh....its like 20+ years since they did it any degree
    however many are unawre its in SFs constitution (I think its called that)....that at some point in the future if its obvious political action is impeding a united Ireland (britin shuffling its feet on a referendum etc) that they are bound to support violence agin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement