Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You should get a life outside hating SF, hating SF is really rather neurotic.

He/she might have to get off the sofa first! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I hate the **** they stand for right now.

Of course you do. You made this abundantly clear before...
    The Easter Lilly?
    Nothing but a propaganda stunt for the political mouthpieces of murderers and scumbags.

I rather smear myself in dog**** than wear one.

You always had a dislike for that party, so what's the point in arguing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

There are other options.

Why row behind Gerry & the IRA?

How many Sinn Fein politicians nowadays are, or have ever been, involved in the IRA do you think? This is the brush tarring I mentioned earlier.

Every political party has their own past baggage, but you have to look to the future and who you believe can represent your needs most going forward, not dwell soley on past transgressions, else we'd never have anyone left to vote for!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I hate the **** they stand for right now.

So don't vote for them! That's the beauty of democracy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Considering the treatment of the catholic population in northern Ireland someone was always going to fight back. It happened and both sides have a chance for peace so lets move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

porsche959 wrote: »
    Youre a complete pacificist then? I take it you are consistent and condemn war on Iraq and Afghanisation? what of WW2, you would have been content to let Hitler run amok over all of Europe?

Surely complete appeaser is more apt for this (and these) Latter Day Blueshirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

And isn't it grand to live in a country where you have the freedom to denigrate nationalism and patriotism?

Terrible wrongs were done to innocent people on both sides of the conflict, but when is it time to move on? Do we want the next generation to be as hate filled as some of this generation?

There may be some members of Sinn Fein who were, at one time or another, involved in the IRA, but there are many more who were not and wish to do their best to move on. Unfortunately, they all get tarred with the same brush as those who went before them and even now, you watch as the Taoiseach sneers and finger points whenever they attempt to ask a question about any subject on behalf of the people they represent and were democratically elected by. This thread just seems to be a microcosm of that whole attitude.

If we never move on, the cycle just perpetuates and the hostility passes to the next generation and then you have to ask yourself, what on earth was the peace process for in the first place?

To be honest, I think there are people who absolutely revel in the misery of the Troubles, especially north of the border, and moving on would mean having no one to hate or antagonize any more. Organisations like the Orange Order thrive off it, and there are plenty more just like them.

IRA members are part of politics in this country and have been since the birth of the state. When a country is embroiled in conflict for decades, people who were directly involved in that conflict tend to be involved in politics thereafter, and believe it or not, there is a demographic that they represent. If we are to claim to be a democratic country, then everyone has a right to be represented in a political setting. We already know that censoring and excluding certain factions doesn't work and is counter-productive. The more you marginalize people, the more you're creating an environment for unhealthy attitudes to breed.

Terrible things have happened over the years, and some people in Sinn Fein may have been involved, but there are a lot more who weren't and there are people would be inclined to vote for them based on other aspects of their politics that don't relate to the situation in the north. Like it or not, Sinn Fein obviously represent a certain demographic and people are exercising their democratic right by voting for them if they wish. The ridiculous, sensationalist rhetoric that is used even by those in government in order to discredit anyone who votes Sinn Fein is not very conducive to progress either. Dragging up the past in order to use it as political leverage or throwing out the 'terrorist' line every time Sinn Fein is mentioned, as our own Taoiseach has been known to do, is not exactly going to create an environment where these issues can be talked about in any kind of mature way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

How many Sinn Fein politicians nowadays are, or have ever been, involved in the IRA do you think? This is the brush tarring I mentioned earlier.

Every political party has their own past baggage, but you have to look to the future and who you believe can represent your needs most going forward, not dwell soley on past transgressions, else we'd never have anyone left to vote for!

I think this is a very valid point.
    As you say most of the SF members are young and would never have been involved with any of past issues.

UNLIKE

A lot of FF/FG who have been either in their respective parties and/or power during times in this state where these people must have been privvy to a lot of what went on with clerical sexual abuse, abuse within state run institutions where there were amongst other heinous acts, murders and so many other horrendous scandals that have gone on.
    Are these FF/FG "politicians" hands clean????
    I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Arf :rolleyes:

Arf

A slang term usually used to describe an overweight girl in wet look leggings.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The brighter people in SF must finally realise Gerry has been lying all along.

If they are to avoid a break up within SF they need to drop Adams asap.

They simply have no credibility any longer

Just because you keep thinking that doesn't mean it's going to happen in the near future.

As for your last sentence ........ are you saying that a huge segment of Irish society are idiots? And that you and your ilk are the enlightened ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The brighter people in SF must finally realise Gerry has been lying all along.
    I think anyone in SF that was halfway bright realized that a long time ago. This might be an unpleasant reminder for some of them, not to mention not what they want to hear in election season, but I hardly think that "party leader was involved in IRA activities" is going to be what you'd call a shock to anyone.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Right, are you aware Gerry has been arrested by the PSNI not the Garda?

That's just crazy Partitionist thinking. The existence of the border isn't be be construed as any obstacle to conspiracy theories, or even acknowledged if one's Republican rhetoric is in full flow. (Or if some SF supporters aren't quite up to speed with keeping track on what's actually happening where.)

Every time we ever discuss British murderers on this forum all we ever here from the apologists is "what about".

I do believe you've just attempted to defend yourself against an accusation of whataboutery... by whatabouting it. Meta-whataboutery!

You do get the distinction that this thread is about Adams, right? Thus the relevance of both raising other topics, and the alleged phenomenon of people raising other (other) topics on other threads is... questionable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

Internment, curfews, raids, shoot-to-kill, massacres & banning of the airwaves couldn't defeat us & we bounced back stronger each time. Conservatives & the far-right in this country will try anything to stop a left-wing party that really supports the working class from coming to power, either ^ this or people must want to see a rise in dissident attacks & for the war to resume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

What ever happened to the statuette of limitations. Sure this was too long ago to be pulled up on now?

What ever happened to the statuette of limitations. Sure this was too long ago to be pulled up on now?

It's politically motivated to crush Ireland's biggest opposition to extreme conservative politics which has ruled Ireland since partition. Naturally the right will do anything it can to slander a left-wing threat.

I think it will fail tho & just give Sinn Fein a propaganda coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There is no statute of limitations for Murder in the UK and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

pO1Neil wrote: »
    It's politically motivated to crush Ireland's biggest opposition to extreme conservative politics which has ruled Ireland since partition. Naturally the right will do anything it can to slander a left-wing threat.

Don't think it will ever be a propaganda coup now for Sinn fein,it's already achieved it's goal and the damage done to Sinn fein can't be repaired,while i'm not a gerry adam's fan myself or Sinn fein ,it's obviously politically motivated.
    Nothing will come of it at all that is for sure,i doubt they have anything at all and it doesn't bode well for the psni's supposed impartiality.
    Because i would have thought had adam's been involved he would have tied up any loose ends over the last number of year's.

amkin25 wrote: »
    Nothing will come of it at all that is for sure,i doubt they have anything at all and it doesn't bode well for the psni's supposed impartiality.
    Because i would have thought had adam's been involved he would have tied up any loose ends over the last number of year's.

If that is the outcome then I predict a rise in paramilitary activity as this will help convince young people the peace process has not delivered for them & the PSNI are not a impartial force no better than the RUC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

If that is the outcome then I predict a rise in paramilitary activity as this will help convince young people the peace process has not delivered for them & the PSNI are not a impartial force no better than the RUC.

Excellent point,but not to pick one side or the other,if he was innocent then it's a witchunt politically motivated,if he was involved i find it staggering that after 40 year's that gerry adam's hadn't got rid of anything remotely connecting him to it hence there would be no evidence to arrest him.

• Advertisement

SF's "left-wing" threat. To wit, vote no to everything, eat Labour's lunch, then go into coalition with FF.

Usual light skating over the issue of why on earth the PSNI would be doing FG(?) a favour. The rugby club connection, perhaps?

alaimacerc wrote: »
    SF's "left-wing" threat. To wit, vote no to everything, eat Labour's lunch, then go into coalition with FF.

Usual light skating over the issue of why on earth the PSNI would be doing FG(?) a favour. The rugby club connection, perhaps?

It's in the interests of the political elites in the North & South not to have a working class party in majority. They'd rather more blood shed before a left-wing party replaced Rome Rule or Orange rule.

Wasn't Joe Cahill (or someone like that) arrested for the murder a few months ago? Clearly politically motivated.

It's also disrespectful to use the family of the dead woman's suffering as pawns in a power struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    And the IRA you commemorate have been killing Irish people since 1919.

O look, evasion and goal-post change.

Nodin wrote: »
    O look, evasion and goal-post change.

But he is right in fairness. He'd also be right if said Irish British paid police & army have been killing Irish people long before 1919.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's in the interests of the political elites in the North & South not to have a working class party in majority. They'd rather more blood shed before a left-wing party replaced Rome Rule or Orange rule.

Wasn't Joe Cahill (or someone like that) arrested for the murder a few months ago? Clearly politically motivated.

It's also disrespectful to use the family of the dead woman's suffering as pawns in a power struggle.

Are they going to use a necromancer for the trial?

Bambi wrote: »
    Are they going to use a necromancer for the trial?

There won't be a trial. He'll be released like the other fella was a few months ago & then they'll arrest another big name Republican all in the name of retaining the status qua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Or

You know

There is no statute of limitations when it come to murder ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Gatling wrote: »
    All this arresting politics ruined Mary Lou's birthday yesterday ,
    You would sworn the prick died the messages of sympathy she was getting on Facebook

Pardon my ignorance. But why are you friends with her/liking her page on Facebook :confused:

Are you some kind of Facebook troll:o???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There won't be a trial. He'll be released like the other fella was a few months ago & then they'll arrest another big name Republican all in the name of retaining the status qua

Wishful thinking. Wasn't Bell charged so not all are being released. This is going to run and run especially now that the McConvilles are going to start namimg names

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Pardon my ignorance. But why are you friends with her/liking her page on Facebook :confused:

Are you some kind of Facebook troll:o???

I thought she looked a bit more pudgier than usual yesterday. Must have been all the comfort eating after Gerry was arrested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement