Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Strange how he became the most popular party leader in the polls only a few weeks ago.

This is unsettling for parties both north and south.

Anyone denying this has nothing to do with him been arrested is fooling themselves.

How seriously does one take opinion polls? Pinch of salt in my case.

The Ballot box is the ultimate test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gatling wrote: »
    Funny how its a conspiracy the Irish British government colluding to gain points in the polls

They both have a common problem, Sinn Fein rising as a party.

It has huge implications on the situation up north for a lot of unionists.

Don't really need to explain how it affects ff fg etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So why haven't any British Army personnel been arrested for crimes in Ireland?
    Strange how he became the most popular party leader in the polls only a few weeks ago.

Anyone denying this has nothing to do with him been arrested is fooling themselves.

How seriously does one take opinion polls? Pinch of salt in my case.

The Ballot box is the ultimate test.

Well posters can't get enough of opinion polls on boards when it comes to polls about a United Ireland.

So thought they might take it serious enough.

timtime wrote: »
    so when was he sworn in?

Good question, perhaps one Gerry may choose to answer or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Why don't you elaborate...

Its true that the media never mention that at least one of her kids was in the IRA (and jailed when his mother was killed). The story for years, which was obviously a lie, was that she was killed for comforting a dying British soldier. Or its also said she was killed for being a protestant (she married a catholic, was burned out of her home in a unionist area and moved to Divis and converted to catholicism). This is the type of myth building I'm on about -its not justified, what we should deal with is fact.

Her family themselves insist that she died after giving a glass of water to a dying soldier. On what grounds do you call this a myth? Does it ever occur to you that the organisation responsible for her murder are doing a bit of myth building themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was that story not a myth? There was no dying soldier to pass water to?

Don't forget about the yellow card she supposedly received for having a communication device to contact British intelligence services

bumper234 wrote: »

Is that your response ?

Is that your response ?

Nope

It's my opinion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

You might as well say Mary-Lou shopped him to get the presidency.
    What did he expect with his pre-arranged meeting? Oh - I'll just call into this police barracks, see you in a few.

• Advertisement

Nope

It's my opinion ;)

Got me there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Is that a you don't know or a you don't care?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

stoneill wrote: »
    What did he expect with his pre-arranged meeting? Oh - I'll just call into this police barracks, see you in a few.

She didn't want him spoiling her birthday party

stoneill wrote: »

Well if it was a pre arranged meeting the psni have a lot to answer for.

Why didn't they arrest him as soon as they had evidence instead of him organising a meeting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What she passed to the British Army was a glass of water to a dying soldier - an act of human compassion. Since when was that a capital offence? Here in Belfast there's an old joke about the IRA: they'd shoot the cows for supplying milk to the Brits.

How often was somebody abducted and shot for showing similar kindness? Was it or can you show that it was the policy of the IRA to kill anybody who showed compassion for an injured soldier?

Don't let your emotions be manipulated is always a good policy in relation to the conflict. You'll will just continue to become more hysterical.

Is that a you don't know a you don't care?

You do know what that symbol represents don't you?

Why didn't they arrest him as soon as they had evidence instead of him organising a meeting ?

People are asked to voluntarily come to police stations for interviews and subsequently arrested every day of the week. You may not understand this but Gerry isn't special, he is being treated the same way as any other suspected criminal. No more no less.

Was that story not a myth? There was no dying soldier to pass water to?

This is what her children are claiming in the article I read (and in several others). In that area, at that time, British Soldiers were shooting and being shot in return on a very frequent basis (from what I've been told) - so I don't think the story is entirely inconceivable. Naturally, the IRA insist she was an informer but their view rather discoloured given that they already killed her. I can't speak from personal memory; it was a decade before I was born. But I've met people who remember all this well.

People are asked to voluntarily come to police stations for interviews and subsequently arrested every day of the week. You may not understand this but Gerry isn't special, he is being treated the same way as any other suspected criminal. No more no less.

Not here he's not.

He's guilty already.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How often was somebody abducted and shot for showing similar kindness? Was it or can you show that it was the policy of the IRA to kill anybody who showed compassion for an injured soldier?

Don't let your emotions be manipulated is always a good policy in relation to the conflict. You'll will just continue to become more hysterical.

I'm far from hysterical, just pointing out the other side of the story here. You can't discount what her family is saying: they are first hand witnesses and we are not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Gatling wrote: »
    Funny how its a conspiracy the Irish and British government colluding to gain points in the polls,

Coming soon in 2050 the enda / david tapes

The conspiracy runs so deep that even Gerry himself is involved.

He walked himself right into the police station to be arrested because SF are doing so well in the polls.

Not here he's not.

He's guilty already.

But "here" doesn't matter does it? Here is just a forum where people talk. Everyone is entitled to an opinion (right or wrong) but it's not going to affect what's happening one iota.

This is what her children are claiming in the article I read (and in several others). In that area, at that time, British Soldiers were shooting and being shot in return on a very frequent basis (from what I've been told) - so I don't think the story is entirely inconceivable. Naturally, the IRA insist she was an informer but their view rather discoloured given that they already killed her. I can't speak from personal memory; it was a decade before I was born. But I've met people who remember all this well.

They weren't been shot on a very frequent basis at all.

You do know what that symbol represents don't you?

Eh ... no actually. Forgive my ignorance.

8 lying on its side ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Because he lives and does his business in a different state. So it's either organise a meeting, or put police on every single border crossing waiting for him to visit one day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Everyone is entitled to an opinion (right or wrong) ......

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

:D Been in favour of arresting Gerry Adams is a right opinion, been in favour of arresting British Army personnel is a wrong opinion.

Eh ... no actually. Forgive my ignorance.

8 lying on its side ?????

All of your answers lie here

www.google.com :D

Oh dear.

Yes hunnybunny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Boston Tapes have been around for quite some time, we are about to see how valuable they are in securing a conviction.

Indeed, but I somehow doubt they are the only pieces of evidence Gerry will have to explain away - not everything and everyone can be classed as "...... antagonistic both to him and to how the IRA and Sinn Féin had managed the peace process" just because it might implicate him in the various criminal acts that occurred before and after Jean McConville's murder, as well as the murder itself.

Enough media opinion has already been written about the potential instability this arrest alone could cause.
    Adams has no interest in causing such instability himself by pursuing a damaging court case.
    To what end? As we see everyday on here, people are gonna believe what they want to believe. He has managed to convince more and more of the southern electorate of his bona fides just by continuing to do what he does.

Surely, if he didn't do it, there's be no court case - any publisher would be mad not to settle out of court, which means whether there would be a court case or not would be wholly within his power?

To what end? Well in the run up to the next general election couldn't SF do with a nice six or seven figure cash injection into the election fund (or is it already well resourced thanks to certain bank withdrawals)

Plus, I would have thought emerging victorious from libel action against some of the more liberal elements of the media waving an apology couldn't but help his (and by extension SF's) credentials - allowing them to draw a line under the matter from their perspective.

As I said, I think it's more about not having to answer questions in a court - even if the risk that something might go that far is quite small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement