Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

BTW - I'm assuming that if the family do go ahead and name names, anyone still alive will be straight down the High Court here or in Belfast to start the ball moving on a defamation case.

The family may not have much in the way of finances but any of the media outlets who publish their statement could be sent a writ.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

if he had gone to jail for this murder he would have been out long ago under terms of GFA away - best forget about it and move on - waste of time with a trial now - he should just say he killed her and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

bumper234 wrote: »
    You do know what that symbol represents don't you?

Middle class white girl aged 16-22 who doesn't like tattoos, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jawgap wrote: »
    BTW - I'm assuming that if the family do go ahead and name names, anyone still alive will be straight down the High Court here or in Belfast to start the ball moving on a defamation case.

The family may not have much in the way of finances but any of the media outlets who publish their statement could be sent a writ.......

I don't think there planning on doing it in the media ,I think they may be willing to make statememts to the police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gatling wrote: »
    I don't think there planning on doing it in the media ,I think they may be willing to make statememts to the police

I believe she said in an interview this morning, her evidence would only be hearsay.

Which basically means she is believing stories about the identity of these people.

• Advertisement

I believe she said in an interview this morning, her evidence would only be hearsay.

Which basically means she is believing stories about the identity of these people.

How could it be hear say she actually witnessed the actual kidnapping ,

Her brother witnessed the kidnapping too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Excellent summarisation.

The arrest of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams for questioning about the murder in 1972 of Jean McConville is the latest example of the highly selective nature of the prosecution process in Northern Ireland.

It seems the only alleged crimes being heavily pursued are those on the nationalist side, with little or no attention to atrocities on the other side.

Thanks to the ill-conceived Boston College oral history project the spooks now have another ream of tapes full of allegations from long ago that cannot possibly be proven, mostly from people who are now dead.

Take a bow BC, Ed Moloney and Anthony McIntyre – you have done a wonderful job on behalf of British spookdom allowing them to whip up a whole new round of empty charges.

Meanwhile, nothing on the nationalist side. The Pat Finucane murder? No action.

The Loughinisland Massacre during the 1994 World Cup game between Ireland and Italy? No action.

The Dublin/Monaghan bombings of 1974 that left 33 dead? No handover of papers from the British government as promised. Oops.

The top human rights attorney was killed, as were six innocent men, including an 87-year-old watching a football match, as were 33 innocent civilians in Dublin and Monaghan yet there has been no resolution whatever.

Talk about one law for the Brits.

ESPN2 aired an excellent program on the Loughinisland case this week called “Ceasefire Massacre.”

The documentary showed that the killings reek of high level British security involvement. Even former UVF figure Billy Hutchinson conceded on the program there was something very fishy.

But good luck if you are seeking a follow-up. So many of the killings during the dirty war were carried out by gunmen acting on the orders of high level secret British forces who covered their tracks well.

I could go on, but it is clear there is really only one target and that is the senior figures in Sinn Fein like Adams, who present such a threat to the established order that they will do anything to bring them down.

The anti-Sinn Feiners are running very scared at the moment. Recent opinion polls in the Irish Republic show the Sinn Fein vote soaring in the upcoming European elections.

In the north, with an increasing nationalist population, there is a decent chance soon of a Sinn Fein led Northern government.

What if they also come to power in the south?

No wonder the spooks are out in full flight.

Adams has little to fear. The tragic circumstances of Jean McConville's death are lost in the mist of time with witnesses long passed on.

Which is why this is such a cynical move at this time. There is zero chance of conviction but the real game is stopping Sinn Fein. They will stoop as low as they can in that regard.

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/niallodowd/Why-Gerry-Adams-arrest-is-a-complete-farce.html

the irony - SF complaining about someone undermining their political momentum during an election campaign.......

......at least they can take some solace in the fact that they the political threat they represent required the arrest of their dear leader - rather than a rogue tweet to a televised debate.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Is that a you don't know or a you don't care?
    It's the symbol for infinity, like a sideways eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We all know there are dark sinister forces in the PSNI, whereas the IRA were brave freedom fighting volunteers and comrades in the fight against colonist oppression.

Am I doing this right?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    We all know there are dark sinister forces in the PSNI, whereas the IRA were brave freedom fighting volunteers and comrades in the fight against colonist oppression.

Am I doing this right?

Damn your good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interesting the comment that Adams has nothing to fear as the truth is lost in time. Suggests that even they think he is guilty (which they don't care about, as much as they complain about one rule for the unionists, they want the disparity to continue but with the nationalist crimes going unpunished instead). Yes I do think those events should be investigated but so should this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

bumper234 wrote: »
    Or

You know

There is no statute of limitations when it come to murder ;)

Your right there is no limitations when it comes to murder & I predict a lot more of it thanks to the alienation this along with the choice not to investigate the Ballymurphy massacre will cause on the nationalist communities. The RIRA & CIRA can fire their recruiting sergeants the PSNI are doing their work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'm far from hysterical, just pointing out the other side of the story here. You can't discount what her family is saying: they are first hand witnesses and we are not.
    Yes it is hysterical and emotive...the young mother and the wounded soldier. It is imagery constructed to provoke the feelings you are displaying.

Show us where the IRA shot and killed people for 'showing one off acts of compassion', please stop being ridiculous and research the actual facts of this case., not the spin and myth of it.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Indeed, but I somehow doubt they are the only pieces of evidence Gerry will have to explain away
    Say more, why do you 'doubt it'...what do you know of what he is being questioned on?

Surely, if he didn't do it, there's be no court case - any publisher would be mad not to settle out of court, which means whether there would be a court case or not would be wholly within his power?
    Implicit in your point here is that said publishers can prove he did it. Really???
    To what end? Well in the run up to the next general election couldn't SF do with a nice six or seven figure cash injection into the election fund (or is it already well resourced thanks to certain bank withdrawals)

Plus, I would have thought emerging victorious from libel action against some of the more liberal elements of the media waving an apology couldn't but help his (and by extension SF's) credentials - allowing them to draw a line under the matter from their perspective.
    Watch the reaction when he emerges from questioning with no charges.
    As I said, I think it's more about not having to answer questions in a court -

That has been my point, there is much more at stake than finding out who killed this woman. The entire process would be destabilised, Remember, Adams is keeping a very disparate group on-board, that has been his triumph politcally. Frankly, I am glad he sees how responsible his position is in that regard.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Totes Akws MoMo... Gerry,

As a Hipster would say....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

are there any plans to bust him out? hasnt been a decent republican jailbreak in an age

Totes Akws MoMo... Gerry,

As a Hipster would say....
    Deergle deergle deeeeerg ... Bonk

As Gerry would say.

Bambi wrote: »
    are there any plans to bust him out? hasnt been a decent republican jailbreak in an age

Helicopter probably been prepared as we post

pO1Neil wrote: »
    Your right there is no limitations when it comes to murder & I predict a lot more of it thanks to the alienation this along with the choice not to investigate the Ballymurphy massacre will cause on the nationalist communities. The RIRA & CIRA can fire their recruiting sergeants the PSNI are doing their work for them.
    lol

I don't think the IRA quite have recruiting sergeants...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gatling wrote: »
    Helicopter probably been prepared as we post

meh...its been done

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    meh...its been done

What was I thinking its 2014 ,

The drone is been prepared as we post

And wee gerry apparently knows how to stich a burka together from bedsheets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    lol

I don't think the IRA quite have recruiting sergeants...

Why are some murders from 1972 being investigated and others not? Why no inquiry into a massacre in Ballymurphy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

I'm sure there's moves been made to arrest British Army personnel at the moment. There were lads on the bbc there recently and they were talkin about being in a special force that were assigned the role of causing a bit of mayhem. They admitted killing a few innocent Nationalists.
    What's that? No? There's no moves to arrest any of these? Or the other murderers in the British Army?
    I'm no IRA supporter or Shinner but these arrests do seem awfully one sided.

Happyman42 wrote: »

Say more, why do you 'doubt it'...what do you know of what he is being questioned on?

Because I'm familiar with the criminal investigative process (although not from the side of the table Gerry is on at the moment) - you think they've spent the guts of two days questioning him on what's on the tapes? That'll be part of it (a probably a significant part) but there'll be plenty of other stuff he'll be questioned on, mostly I'd imagine, what other people have said in their statements - there doesn't seem to be much in the way of physical evidence........but you never know what's been held back from the public domain.

Implicit in your point here is that said publishers can prove he did it. Really???

Well if they can't prove it, as I said, he'll be in for a meaty pay out - again makes you wonder why publishers aren't snowed under with writs......

Watch the reaction when he emerges from questioning with no charges.

there will be no charges when he's released - the file will go the PPSNI who will review the material and decide what, if any, charges will be laid and against whom.

Although, I fairly suspect SF will have a wholly different take on this administrative step.......;) (think Daniel Day Lewis at the end of In the Name of the Father :D)

That has been my point, there is much more at stake than finding out who killed this woman. The entire process would be destabilised, Remember, Adams is keeping a very disparate group on-board, that has been his triumph politcally. Frankly, I am glad he sees how responsible his position is in that regard.

Hmmm.....I'm sure McGuinness, Kelly and a host of others within the party might have so messianic a view of Adams

pO1Neil wrote: »
    Why are some murders from 1972 being investigated and others not? Why no inquiry into a massacre in Ballymurphy?
    If you want an investigation into those murders go and campaign for them but don't derail a thread on McConville.

If you want an investigation into those murders go and campaign for them but don't derail a thread on McConville.

There has been campaigns but they've been met with silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Justice for all and all that no?

It's easier just arrest the 'bad guys' anyway, imagine if British soldiers started appearing in court? Who knows who might be implicated then.

There has been campaigns but they've been met with silence.
    Nothing to do with this thread.
    wazky wrote: »

It's easier just arrest the 'bad guys' anyway, imagine if British soldiers started appearing in court? Who knows who might be implicated then.
    Again, nothing to do with this thread.

And you couldn't arrest soldiers for following orders anyway, you'd have to find the officer/NCO who gave the order.

wazky wrote: »

Yes ,

But that subject needs its own thread ,

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with this thread.

Was there not bad things done on all sides? We should move on if we want peace? Or is it when a British army attrocity comes up it's all sides done bad but when an IRA attrocity comes up it's one sided only?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement