Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Just making an observation about what was happening on social media, the only other thing we can go on ahead of elections is opinion polls which had GA as most popular party leader here and SF up generally. That would translate into electoral gains above the previous plateau.

All we can do is wait for the elections.

Well I was expecting them to do very well anyway, 3 EU seats and big increases in the locals, these are protest vote elections traditionally. The Apparatchiks will spin it giving SF a boost, opponents will say it stopped their surge.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No, when British army murders are brought up it's all sides done bad so for peace we have to move on. Are we excusing old murders or are we not? You can't just excuse some.

Please show a single post of mine where i have said we should excuse ANY murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

if he had gone to jail for this murder he would have been out long ago under terms of GFA away - best forget about it and move on - waste of time with a trial now - he should just say he killed her and move on

It's surprising they haven't been named under parliamentary privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No, when British army murders are brought up it's all sides done bad so for peace we have to move on.

How many times has it been said on this thread that British army murders should be left alone but IRA murders should be prosecuted? Now, how many times has the opposite been said?

If posters being selective about the crimes they want to see prosecuted is what annoys you, you could do with looking at the other side too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

bumper234 wrote: »
    All of your answers lie here

www.google.com :D

Of course!.......Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

They're is such a thing as perceived danger and real danger. The Mc Convilles should go to the police if they have evidence. Why wait any longer to get justice for their murdered mother ?

A Sinn Féin MP has said the family of a woman abducted and murdered by the IRA in 1972 should feel free to co-operate with police in the pursuit of justice.
    MP for Newry and Armagh Conor Murphy said he was “surprised” that Michael McConville felt he could not provide information to investigators looking into his mother’s death for fear of possible reprisals.
    Party president Gerry Adams is being questioned by detectives investigating the death of Belfast mother-of-10 Jean McConville.
    Mr Murphy told the BBC’s 'Today' programme: “Many people have brought information forward in relation to inquiries and we have said quite clearly over the years that if families wish to co-operate with the historical investigations team – flawed as its approach clearly and officially was found to be – then people should be free to do so.
    “Many, many families have co-operated with those investigations and I’ve yet to hear of one who have suffered any intimidation as a consequence of doing that.”
    He added: “I certainly feel that the McConville family are entitled to pursue justice in this case.
    “They are entitled to pursue whatever avenue they feel (appropriate) in the case of their mother, and I would certainly strongly urge that no-one interferes in that process at all.
    “In cases before where this has happened, no-one has interfered – that I am aware of – in any of these processes.”
    Mr McConville has said that he was still not prepared to name those involved even though he knew who they were, because of the consequences for his family.
    He claimed he was too scared to tell detectives who he believed was responsible in case he or other family members were shot by republican extremists for informing.
    However his sister said she is prepared to name the people responsible for her mother’s death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Please show a single post of mine where i have said we should excuse ANY murder.

I didn't say you did but I said what happens when British army murders are brought up.

I didn't say you did but I said what happens when British army murders are brought up.
    No, when British army murders are brought up it's all sides done bad so for peace we have to move on. Are we excusing old murders or are we not? You can't just excuse some.

Besides that this debate is about the murder of JMC and the subsequent arrest of GA in relation to THIS murder.

osarusan wrote: »
    How many times has it been said on this thread that British army murders should be left alone but IRA murders should be prosecuted? Now, how many times has the opposite been said?

If posters being selective about the crimes they want to see prosecuted is what annoys you, you could do with looking at the other side too.

I haven't read this whole thread but a number of the same posters that were involved in the Enda Kenny inviting the British queen to 2016 thread have posted in support of Gerry being arrested here, while saying we should move on when talking about crimes committed by British forces in the other thread.
    They can't have it both ways.

Amazing if Gerry Adams had so much to hide why was he co-operating with the PSNI and Northern Ireland Secretary to get closure for the families. Not exactly the actions of a man on the run or avoiding the situation.

Former Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain described Mr Adams' arrest as a "serious moment for Northern Ireland's politics.
    "Regardless of the particulars of this case, about which I cannot comment except to say that when we were seeking the truth about the Disappeared in the period 2006 to 2007, Gerry Adams was co-operating with me and with the Police Service of Northern Ireland to try and establish the truth about these cases," he told Radio Ulster's The Nolan Show.
      "I know for a fact, because he told me this that he felt very strongly that these individual cases of the Disappeared were wrong and that he totally identified with the families concerned.
    "He seemed to me to be genuinely concerned in seeking to get to the bottom of what happened and genuinely mortified about the plight of the families."

• Advertisement

Besides that this debate is about the murder of JMC and the subsequent arrest of GA in relation to THIS murder.

You plural.

You plural.

You **** :D

You **** :D

What did you call my mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

So why haven't any British Army personnel been arrested for crimes in Ireland?

This

Just move on

What did you call my mother?

Mrs worksforyou :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Northern Irish political logic:
    Mother of 8 and 9 other unarmed civilians murdered by British military, person who gave order known, people who fired the weapons known, multiple witnesses.
    Not worthy of inquiry or invesitgation.
    Mother of 10 abducted and murdered, no evidence linking murder to anyone, no weapon found, no evidence to whom gave the order to kill her, no witnesses, no evidence to charge or convict anyone.
    Arrest man who volunteered for questioning and hold him without charge for several days.
    He'll be released, without charge eventually, this is beyond a farce.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Northern Irish political logic:
    Mother of 8 and 9 other unarmed civilians murdered by British military, person who gave order known, people who fired the weapons known, multiple witnesses.
    Not worthy of inquiry or invesitgation.
    Mother of 10 abducted and murdered, no evidence linking murder to anyone, no weapon found, no evidence to whom gave the order to kill her, no witnesses, no evidence to charge or convict anyone.
    Arrest man who volunteered for questioning and hold him without charge for several days.
    He'll be released, without charge eventually, this is beyond a farce.

As happens to every suspected criminal :eek:

Mrs worksforyou :confused:

Only to her face. :mad:

My point being he is being held without charge, he will be released without charge, this is an exercise in futility and a pointless PR stunt which will ultimately backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yes it is hysterical and emotive...the young mother and the wounded soldier. It is imagery constructed to provoke the feelings you are displaying.

I can keep telling you I'm not being hysterical, but it's getting repetitive. All I am doing is pointing out that this is what the family are saying. I'm not making it up, honestly. For all I know, she could have been spying for the Russians, the Mafia and every known criminal gang going. And, I'm sorry, but she was a mother. That's not "emotive", that's simple, biological fact. Young is more subjective, but she certainly wasn't old. I don't know why you find that so sensational. It's just fact.

However, the Ombudsman investigated the case and found nothing to suggest Mrs McConville was spying or providing any information to the British army. The only people who say she was are from within the organisation responsible for her murder in the first place (and their supporters). Do you see why there's an issue of credibility on both sides?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

Excellent summarisation.
    The arrest of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams for questioning about the murder in 1972 of Jean McConville is the latest example of the highly selective nature of the prosecution process in Northern Ireland.

It seems the only alleged crimes being heavily pursued are those on the nationalist side, with little or no attention to atrocities on the other side.

Thanks to the ill-conceived Boston College oral history project the spooks now have another ream of tapes full of allegations from long ago that cannot possibly be proven, mostly from people who are now dead.

Take a bow BC, Ed Moloney and Anthony McIntyre – you have done a wonderful job on behalf of British spookdom allowing them to whip up a whole new round of empty charges.

Meanwhile, nothing on the nationalist side. The Pat Finucane murder? No action.

The Loughinisland Massacre during the 1994 World Cup game between Ireland and Italy? No action.

The Dublin/Monaghan bombings of 1974 that left 33 dead? No handover of papers from the British government as promised. Oops.

The top human rights attorney was killed, as were six innocent men, including an 87-year-old watching a football match, as were 33 innocent civilians in Dublin and Monaghan yet there has been no resolution whatever.

Talk about one law for the Brits.

ESPN2 aired an excellent program on the Loughinisland case this week called “Ceasefire Massacre.”

The documentary showed that the killings reek of high level British security involvement. Even former UVF figure Billy Hutchinson conceded on the program there was something very fishy.

But good luck if you are seeking a follow-up. So many of the killings during the dirty war were carried out by gunmen acting on the orders of high level secret British forces who covered their tracks well.

I could go on, but it is clear there is really only one target and that is the senior figures in Sinn Fein like Adams, who present such a threat to the established order that they will do anything to bring them down.

The anti-Sinn Feiners are running very scared at the moment. Recent opinion polls in the Irish Republic show the Sinn Fein vote soaring in the upcoming European elections.

In the north, with an increasing nationalist population, there is a decent chance soon of a Sinn Fein led Northern government.

What if they also come to power in the south?

No wonder the spooks are out in full flight.

Adams has little to fear. The tragic circumstances of Jean McConville's death are lost in the mist of time with witnesses long passed on.

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/niallodowd/Why-Gerry-Adams-arrest-is-a-complete-farce.html

This is what I've been saying all along, if we are going to jail people from the troubles we can't just go after one side. BOTH sides were as bad as each other.

My point being he is being held without charge, he will be released without charge, this is an exercise in futility and a pointless PR stunt which will ultimately backfire.

As happens to most suspected criminals. A file goes to the DPP or whatever the equivalent in NI and they decide if there is enough evidence for a prosecution.....not the PSNI.

A few years back every CATHOLIC in the north was a suspected criminal so this is not unusual even though people are trying to link McConville mothers murder to Gerry Adams for a long time now still no connection but look when did actual evidence ever get in the way of a conviction for the British Crown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hopefully we gets done for it.

By the by, I don't think this was done to hurt SF during the elections, but rather to remove the other story from the headlines before it got a chance to be picked up properly and deflect attention away from the PSNI, the British Government and the NI Establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

If and when any of the Bloody Sunday paratroopers are brought before a court and the cases against them dismissed, will you be back here pouring scorn on that as an exercise in futility and a pointless PR stunt?

If and when any of the Bloody Sunday paratroopers are brought before a court and the cases against them dismissed, will you be back here pouring scorn on that as an exercise in futility and a pointless PR stunt?

Why would the case of military personal shooting unarmed civilians be dismissed? Surely if a case is brought there is enough evidence to convict those responsible.

In any case where there is enough evidence to convict a person it should be perused.

In a case where there is no evidence at all, it should be either investigated further until evidence is found and stopped being used as a political point scoring tool or it should just be dropped, cases are made cold for a reason, resources can be better spent elsewhere.

Why would the case of military personal shooting unarmed civilians be dismissed? Surely if a case is brought there is enough evidence to convict those responsible.

In any case where there is enough evidence to convict a person it should be perused.

In a case where there is no evidence at all, it should be either investigated further until evidence is found and stopped being used as a political point scoring tool or it should just be dropped, cases are made cold for a reason, resources can be better spent elsewhere.

Hence the arrest of one Gerry Adams ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Day 2 in the House.

Gerry asks for a Sky Sports subscription.

• Advertisement

Hence the arrest of one Gerry Adams ;)

Want to make a bet on that one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement