Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Seaneh wrote: »
    Want to make a bet on that one?

A bet on what? That he has been arrested? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

However, the Ombudsman investigated the case and found nothing to suggest Mrs McConville was spying or providing any information to the British army.
    Which only means that there was nothing to be found, not that she wasn't an informer.
    There is 'nothing to be found' that says Gerry Adams was responsible for her death either by the way, only what 'people say'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bumper234 wrote: »
    A bet on what? That he has been arrested? :confused:

There being enough evidence to convict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Which only means that there was nothing to be found, not that she wasn't an informer.

Yet If Gerry is released, you'll claim he has been totally vindicated, and go ape every time someone says:

"Which only means that there wasn't enough evidence, not that he didn't murder her".

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

There is 'nothing to be found' that says Gerry Adams was responsible for her death either by the way, only what 'people say'.

The psni are investigating this at the moment, so perhaps we should wait and see if they find anything before concluding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

As happens to every suspected criminal :eek:
    unless they were a member of the british army

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

unless they are a member of the british army

:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭timtime

Hopefully we gets done for it.

why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Day 2 in the House.

Gerry asks for a Sky Sports subscription.

...........and some creepy crawlies for dinner !

There being enough evidence to convict him.

Well they obviously feel they have some evidence otherwise he wouldn't be held for (almost) 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

Why would the case of military personal shooting unarmed civilians be dismissed?
    Same reason other criminal charges are dismissed. Lack of evidence.

So again, will you be pouring scorn on investigation in this or any other wrongs committed by the BA, unless there is sufficient evidence to lead to a conviction?

Presumably you were similarly scornful of the Saville inquiry that led to zero convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

As happens to most suspected criminals. A file goes to the DPP or whatever the equivalent in NI and they decide if there is enough evidence for a prosecution.....not the PSNI.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

So is my undersanding correct on this - as a result of the Good Friday agreement the most time anyone could do in connection with this is 2 years if convicted and found guilty?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

So, as far as you're concerned, this absence of evidence in some way adds weight to the suggestion that she was spying? Personally, I favour earth logic.

BTW, I am not at all suggesting Adams was responsible for her death and I apologise if I gave that impression. By no means. I sincerely doubt he had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Well they obviously feel they have some evidence otherwise he wouldn't be held for (almost) 48 hours.

If they had enough evidence wouldn't he be arrested and charged ? The fact that he is still being questioned could mean they have jack all evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

If there will be one outcome in this fiasco it will be this. Dissident Republicans ill have enough evidence to convince disaffected youths that the peace process isn't working.

Well done Cameron/Kenny/PSNI.

William F wrote: »
    If there will be one outcome in this fiasco it will be this. Dissident Republicans ill have enough evidence to convince disaffected youths that the peace process isn't working.

That would be a tragedy

crusher000 wrote: »
    If they had enough evidence wouldn't he be arrested and charged ? The fact that he is still being questioned could mean they have jack all evidence.

He could be refusing to answer questions.
    They may not be happy with his answers.
    They may hold him for 30 days.

I don't know but i think everyone expected him to be released after 4 or 5 hours not to be there 2 days later.

Why these 2? What part have they played in his arrest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I don't know but i think everyone expected him to be released after 4 or 5 hours not to be there 2 days later.

So they now don't have evidence to convict him. Which one is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No they get investigated to by the civilian authorities.....

NI DPP asks police to probe undercover Army unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

nelly17 wrote: »
    That would be a tragedy

I'm sure it will be a tragedy for PSNI officers on the beat.
    Why these 2? What part have they played in his arrest?

Because they stand the most to gain from his arrest.

The refusing to answer questions thing did occour to me but then again he a master at being linguistiaclly evasive, he could keep them going for days without actually giving an answer.

So again, will you be pouring scorn on investigation in this or any other wrongs committed by the BA, unless there is sufficient evidence to lead to a conviction?

Presumably you were similarly scornful of the Saville inquiry that led to zero convictions?

But there is an abundance of evidence that on bloody sunday members of the British military murdered unarmed civilians, the case isn't being blocked due to lack of evidence, even a blind man could see that.

I'm sure it will be a tragedy for PSNI officers on the beat.

Because they stand the most to gain from his arrest.

So are you saying they played an integral role in him being arrested?

crusher000 wrote: »

So they now don't have evidence to convict him. Which one is it?

Am i in the police station questioning him? Of course i don't know if they have enough evidence to convict him but i do find it strange that he is STILL under arrest and being questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Am i in the police station questioning him? Of course i don't know if they have enough evidence to convict him but i do find it strange that he is STILL under arrest and being questioned.

Maybe they used the power of internment on him?

The Saville inquiry was just that, an inquiry, not a trial. The trial which should have followed has been blocked and denied to protect the interestes of the British Military and Government, not because of lack of evidence.

• Advertisement

There is nothing obvious about it tbh, if they had enough evidence to charge him, let alone convict him, why did they wait for him to show up at a station at his own leisure? If they had any evidence or any hopes of a conviction they would have been around his house with a full media circus quicker than you could say "sketch, it's the peelers".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement