Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Seaneh wrote: »
    The Saville inquiry was just that, an inquiry, not a trial. The trial which should have followed has been blocked and denied to protect the interestes of the British Military and Government, not because of lack of evidence.

......is that opinion or is there something substantive you can point to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jawgap wrote: »
    ......is that opinion or is there something substantive you can point to?

Key findings of the inquury which said that members of 1 para fired on civilians who "posed no threat". That they disobeyed orders, that they lied about being fired on first, that their CO lied to his superiors about his intentions that day, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

The Saville inquiry was just that, an inquiry, not a trial. The trial which should have followed has been blocked and denied to protect the interestes of the British Military and Government, not because of lack of evidence.

Well you seem to determined to evade my question but I think we both know the answer. If and when a case is brought against a British soldier and dismissed for lack of evidence we will see a very different response from you than your current distain for the pursuit of a fruitless cause in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

So, as far as you're concerned, this absence of evidence in some way adds weight to the suggestion that she was spying? Personally, I favour earth logic.

I never suggested she was spying either, I don't know if she was or not. But 'not' finding any evidence about what would have been a secretive operation isn't indicative of anything either.
    It's funny that you would have a go at my 'logic' because logic dictates fairly clearly that the IRA didn't have a policy and didn't go around shooting people dead and disappearing them just because of a one-off incident of showing compassion to enemy soldiers. Logic...earth or otherwise would suggest that there would be other incidents like this,would it not?
    Disappearing was almost exclusively reserved for those who where caught informing, so logic would dictate that her killers believed that was what she was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Martin McGuinness says PSNI to ask judge for more time to question Gerry Adams in connection with the 1972 murder of Jean McConville

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/462232267377897472

Didn't think he would still be in custody at this stage, I am surprised they are seeking an extension to the detention period.

• Advertisement

Key findings of the inquury which said that members of 1 para fired on civilians who "posed no threat". That they disobeyed orders, that they lied about being fired on first, that their CO lied to his superiors about his intentions that day, etc, etc, etc.

Ok, well that's a finding of the inquiry (and certainly an incredibly serious one) but what you said was.....

Have you anything substantive to point at to support that statement, or is it just your opinion as an observer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bumper234 wrote: »
    Why these 2? What part have they played in his arrest?

Yep. What possible goal could a Fine Gael and Conservative government have in relation to Sinn Fein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

So are you saying they played an integral role in him being arrested?

For certain. There is no evidence to convict him and they know that. The only thing that has changed in the last 42 years is that two people made allegations against him on tapes who are now dead.

This means that evidence is now rendered useless yet he was still arrested. That means it can only be politically motivated.

Adams will be released without charge and a 'file will be sent' to whatever equivalent of the DPP they have up there just to drag it out a little longer.

It's all a disgraceful scam and the biggest losers are the McConvilles who are given false hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I never suggested she was spying either, I don't know if she was or not. But 'not' finding any evidence about what would have been a secretive operation isn't indicative of anything either.
    It's funny that you would have a go at my 'logic' because logic dictates fairly clearly that the IRA didn't have a policy and didn't go around shooting people dead and disappearing them just because of a one-off incident of showing compassion to enemy soldiers. Logic...earth or otherwise would suggest that there would be other incidents like this,would it not?
    Disappearing was almost exclusively reserved for those who where caught informing, so logic would dictate that her killers believed that was what she was.

Well even if she was spying, and even if she was informing and even if she was doing a thousand other things that the 'RA found objectionable, is that reason for torturing then shooting someone's Mammy before burying her in some unmarked grave?

• Advertisement

Ok, well that's a finding of the inquiry (and certainly an incredibly serious one) but what you said was.....

Have you anything substantive to point at to support that statement, or is it just your opinion as an observer?

Just my opinion as an observer.

I know there is an investigation "ongoing" and it "could take up to 4 years" (so 3 more years?), but the fact that an investigation of that scope has to be made at all with the amount of evidence handed to PSNI by the inquiry and the depth and cost of the inquiry itself, is odd.
    Surely it would be a case of corroborating the evidence, dismissing that which not relevant to a possible prosecution/defence and passing it on to the prosecutors and then arresting those to be questioned and eventually charge with enough evidence to charge and bring them to trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. What possible goal could a Fine Gael and Conservative government have in relation to Sinn Fein?

Unless you have evidence for their collusion in his arrest then you are merely a conspiracy theorist :rolleyes:

there must be evidence to show the judge to get the extension

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

All police have to do is apply for an extension.. they don't have to provide anything in the way of evidence to the judge.

Actually no, that's not true. They just have to ask for an extension, they don't need to give the judge any evidence at all.

All police have to do is apply for an extension.. they don't have to provide anything in the way of evidence to the judge.

They have to have a VALID reason, no judge will agree to let the police hold someone for no reason.

Just my opinion as an observer.

I know there is an investigation "ongoing" and it "could take up to 4 years" (so 3 more years?), but the fact that an investigation of that scope has to be made at all with the amount of evidence handed to PSNI by the inquiry and the depth and cost of the inquiry itself, is odd.
    Surely it would be a case of corroborating the evidence, dismissing that which not relevant to a possible prosecution/defence and passing it on to the prosecutors and then arresting those to be questioned and eventually charge with enough evidence to charge and bring them to trial?

In essence that's about it, but the complicating factors are the scale of the incident and the distance in the past. Plus, the last thing I'd like to see is a few squaddies thrown to the wolves to save other people's skins - I'd want to see more than the guys who pulled the triggers put before the courts, I'd like to see the officers and NCOs who either gave the orders or who failed to supervise their men properly in the dock with them.

They have to have a VALID reason, no judge will agree to let the police hold someone for no reason.

A valid reason being that they require more time to question a suspect. It's as simple as that really... there's no need to dream up any sort of other conclusion at this stage.

"we want to talk to him for longer as we feel the case is high profile and he is a suspect".

That's a valid reason for extension.

A valid reason being that they require more time to question a suspect. It's as simple as that really... there's no need to dream up any sort of other conclusion at this stage.

SO you are saying that they just ask a judge for an extension and he will grant it without a shred of evidence? He will agree to denying someone their freedom without asking for a shred of evidence to show that the extension is needed|?:confused:

• Advertisement

"we want to talk to him for longer as we feel the case is high profile and he is a suspect".

so not quite like Law and Order then

In essence that's about it, but the complicating factors are the scale of the incident and the distance in the past. Plus, the last thing I'd like to see is a few squaddies thrown to the wolves to save other people's skins - I'd want to see more than the guys who pulled the triggers put before the courts, I'd like to see the officers and NCOs who either gave the orders or who failed to supervise their men properly in the dock with them.

I don't want anyone thrown to the wolves to appease the masses either and I agree, it should be a top down investigation and those at the top levels who were invloved (whatever that level might be) should ultimately be held as responsible as those on the ground. But I feel like after 12 years and 300million, the inquiry has turned up just about everything that is likely to turn up and the PSNI are wasting time and resources in "furthering" the investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

In the UK they can in connection to terrorism for quite some time I believe.

so not quite like Law and Order then

Law and Order might be (somewhat) reflective of the US system but not the UK system, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Genuine question...does the fact that he has been arresting really mean he is suspected of having been involved? Could it be that the psni suspect he knows who did it, gave the orders, etc? Even if GA wasn't directly involved, I'd find it hard to believe he doesn't have vital information, along with McGuinness and others.

SO you are saying that they just ask a judge for an extension and he will grant it without a shred of evidence? He will agree to denying someone their freedom without asking for a shred of evidence to show that the extension is needed|?

All the evidence a judge needs to extend the detention period of someone held under the Terrorism Act, is that police genuinely require more time to question the suspect.

What's so hard to understand about that?!

Do you think that a judge is expected to sift through evidence available and on very short notice decide whether there's enough to detain him for longer? It's still in the investigative stages.. and it's up to police to compile evidence, which is what they are doing. All they have to do is satisfy the judge that they require more time to do so.

Genuine question...does the fact that he has been arresting really mean he is suspected of having been involved? Could it be that the psni suspect he knows who did it, gave the orders, etc? Even if GA wasn't directly involved, I'd find it hard to believe he doesn't have vital information, along with McGuinness and others.

I'm sure they DO actually believe he was directly involved or at least know who was involved, but I honestly don't believe they have anything other than hearsay and rumor to back it up.

Like I said, if they actually had ANYTHING they wouldn't have waited a month for him to show up on the door step after calling them and organising a visit, they'd have been round his house ASAP with the cuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

Unless you have evidence for their collusion in his arrest then you are merely a conspiracy theorist :rolleyes:

Or possible engaging in a cynical (though fruitless I think) attempt to win a few votes for SF.

Don’t assume that everyone who peddles this conspiracy nonsense actually believes it!

I'm sure they DO actually believe he was directly involved or at least know who was involved, but I honestly don't believe they have anything other than hearsay and rumor to back it up.

Like I said, if they actually had ANYTHING they wouldn't have waited a month for him to show up on the door step after calling them and organising a visit, they'd have been round his house ASAP with the cuffs.

there's a whole load of reasons. First up, I'd say they wanted to consider what to ask him and in what order. They probably had to liaise with the prosecutor to see what information they should try to get out of him, what facts needed establishing or corroborating and what might likely explanations be (then follow those up in preparation for interviewing him).

They'd have prepared an interview plan (this isn't The Bill) and reviewed, re-reviewed and re-reviewed it again with senior colleagues. Then they'd would have decided on who was going to ask what questions or cover different areas and done all the admin ground work to make sure all the paperwork was ready.

Then after that, if they felt it was advantageous, they might just have decided to let him 'sweat' for a while before accepting his offer to come in an be interviewed.

I'm betting Gerard spent the time usefully too, no doubt consulting with his legal people and plotting and strategising with trusted confidantes.....

They're in there playing mind chess at the moment......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder about the lenght of time wee gerry is spending with detectives could he be singing like a canary as the say ,???
    Could wee gerry have pulled a masterstroke and deciced to take out some problem members of his exclusive little club ???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement