Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yet If Gerry is released, you'll claim he has been totally vindicated, and go ape every time someone says:

"Which only means that there wasn't enough evidence, not that he didn't murder her".

You are not following the thread, I have already said that his release would not mean he is innocent only that there was no evidence capable of convicting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Somehow I would say Gerry "Liar" Adams is saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.

The PSNI will think it's Groundhog Day by tomorrow morning. :D

No better man in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Gatling wrote: »
    I wonder about the lenght of time wee gerry is spending with detectives could he be singing like a canary as the say ,???
    Could wee gerry have pulled a masterstroke and deciced to take out some problem members of his exclusive little club ???

It would be a good cover for an extended de-briefing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

A lot of posters seem happy to turn a blind eye to the fact that Loyalist's also featured in the Boston tapes, some of these made various accusations ref British-State Collusion with loyalist paramilitaries, and nationalist/Catholic victims.

Why are the PSNI not hauling in any of the British Security forces named and asking them questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A lot of posters seem happy to turn a blind eye to the fact that Loyalist's also featured in the Boston tapes, some of these made various accusations ref British-State Collusion with loyalist paramilitaries, and nationalist/Catholic victims.

Why are the PSNI not hauling in any of the British Security forces named and asking them questions?

Theres is hope look at the marine convicted of murder recently from action in Afghanistan ,

People can claim this and that should be investigated which is just ,

But this is about Jean Mcconville and nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm sure they DO actually believe he was directly involved or at least know who was involved, but I honestly don't believe they have anything other than hearsay and rumor to back it up.

Like I said, if they actually had ANYTHING they wouldn't have waited a month for him to show up on the door step after calling them and organising a visit, they'd have been round his house ASAP with the cuffs.

I'm not so sure. Given his high profile, I would imagine the PSNI have gone to great lengths to ensure every T is crossed and every I dotted.

This is why I don't believe for one second it is a political stunt. Kenny and Cameron both know how effective the SF pr machine is and I'm pretty sure they knew what the reaction would be to his arrest.

I'm surprised he was arrested at all tbh, it is a bold move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Martin McGuinness issuing not-so-veiled threats.

Has nothing changed?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/psni-want-more-time-to-quiz-adams-629433.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I'm not so sure. Given his high profile, I would imagine the PSNI have gone to great lengths to ensure every T is crossed and every I dotted.

This is why I don't believe for one second it is a political stunt. Kenny and Cameron both know how effective the SF pr machine is and I'm pretty sure they knew what the reaction would be to his arrest.

I'm surprised he was arrested at all tbh, it is a bold move.

The dark side of the RUC/PSNI, they haven't gone away you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wonder about the lenght of time wee gerry is spending with detectives could he be singing like a canary as the say ,???
    Could wee gerry have pulled a masterstroke and deciced to take out some problem members of his exclusive little club ???

Even for you this is brilliantly fantastical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Jawgap wrote: »
    there's a whole load of reasons. First up, I'd say they wanted to consider what to ask him and in what order. They probably had to liaise with the prosecutor to see what information they should try to get out of him, what facts needed establishing or corroborating and what might likely explanations be (then follow those up in preparation for interviewing him).

They'd have prepared an interview plan (this isn't The Bill) and reviewed, re-reviewed and re-reviewed it again with senior colleagues. Then they'd would have decided on who was going to ask what questions or cover different areas and done all the admin ground work to make sure all the paperwork was ready.

Then after that, if they felt it was advantageous, they might just have decided to let him 'sweat' for a while before accepting his offer to come in an be interviewed.

I'm betting Gerard spent the time usefully too, no doubt consulting with his legal people and plotting and strategising with trusted confidantes.....

They're in there playing mind chess at the moment......

Have you experience serving with the British security forces?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Valetta wrote: »

Has nothing changed?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/psni-want-more-time-to-quiz-adams-629433.html
    Mr McGuinness said Sinn Féin would ``reflect'' and ``review'' its support for policing in the region if Mr Adams is charged.
    But he urged republicans to remain calm if and until that happened.

Don't riot yet lads,

But start stocking up yeah:rolleyes:

Valetta wrote: »

Has nothing changed?

That is blatant lies. Full statement here.

Theres is hope look at the marine convicted of murder recently from action in Afghanistan ,

People can claim this and that should be investigated which is just ,

But this is about Jean Mcconville and nothing else

Well, in the name of fairness. This thread is about Gerry Adams questioning ref the death of Jean McConville.

From what most of us understand, this allegedly arises from him being named in the Boston Tapes by not only critics of his, but now deceased critics of his.

One has to wonder why the PSNI chose this week, in the mouth of European and Local Elections to detain him and question him?

Very coincidental I'm sure.

Why is Jean McConvilles death so much more critical to investigate than others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

William F wrote: »
    Have you experience serving with the British security forces?

No, but it's a fairly standard approach when investigating criminal offences and interviewing people who are suspected of committing an offence - and not all criminal offences are investigated by the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

bumper234 wrote: »
    Don't riot yet lads,

But start stocking up yeah:rolleyes:

So is it a case of Sinn Fein supporting the PSNI untli the PSNI decide to enforce the law against a Sinn Fein member?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    So is it a case of Sinn Fein supporting the PSNI untli the PSNI decide to enforce the law against a Sinn Fein member?

Video with the the conference in it's entirety is posted a few posts up, watch it for yourself.

Jawgap wrote: »
    No, but it's a fairly standard approach when investigating criminal offences and interviewing people who are suspected of committing an offence - and not all criminal offences are investigated by the police.

Then how would you know this? Were you in a similar position as Gerry Adams before?

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Watch the video with the statement perhaps, instead of reading snippets from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I was wondering about this, also. It looks (on the surface and from a distance) as though Adams (as an individual) might be falling victim to a vendetta from within his own community, as much as British Machiavellianism. He alienated both Hughes and Bell, IIRC.

My understanding of the whole situation is that it was a fairly open secret, in the north anyway, that Ivor Bell made the decision with the compliance of Brendan Hughes, and to a lesser extent Rita O'Hare, who was the leader of Cumann na mBan at the time (I wouldn't be surprised if she was the woman the McConvilles claim to have recognized when Jean McConville was taken from the house). Brendan Hughes became alienated on account of his opposition to the peace talks that Adams had decided to engage in. It strikes me as more than a little odd then that it would be Brendan Hughes' voice now appearing on those tapes making accusations from beyond the grave. Sounds like someone trying to get the last word.

We already know that Ivor Bell is guilty of "aiding and abetting" the murder of Jean McConville. I thought it would be fairly common knowledge at this stage that he is guilty of more than just aiding and abetting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

William F wrote: »
    That is blatant lies. Full statement here.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Video with the the conference in it's entirety is posted a few posts up, watch it for yourself.
    Watch the video with the statement perhaps, instead of reading snippets from it.

Is that the only statement he made? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

This thread is about Gerry Adams questioning ref the death of Jean McConville.
    You sure? It's not about whatabouting the British Army, the UVF, Blueshirt Freestater traitors
    One has to wonder why the PSNI chose this week, in the mouth of European and Local Elections to detain him and question him?
    Perhaps because of the time that Adams chose to agree to such questioning? If you're wanting them to do it six months ago, before he'd agreed to make himself available in the North, you'd want to be giving the PSNI a Tardis. (Would also help them with the Haass-process "dealing with The Past". Matt Baggott, Time Cop!) You wanting them to wait for another six months, to suit the electoral strategy better? That really would be political policing.
    Why is Jean McConvilles death so much more critical to investigate than others?

Ah yes, we didn't have to wait long for that whatabouting, did we. They have some sort of evidence, or at least investigative leads in the form of the Boston College tapes. Are they supposed to just ignore that, on the basis that you'd rather they be investigating other cases, according to your own political preferences, rather than on the basis of what evidence is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

PSNI are taking the piss at this stage. Lot of anger out there now, Gerry is even getting a mural on the falls road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You are not following the thread, I have already said that his release would not mean he is innocent only that there was no evidence capable of convicting him.

by that logic nobody can ever be considered innocent - only that there was no evidence capable of convicting him

but I’ve always presumed gerry is as guilty as sin on this and more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Very coincidental I'm sure.

I was listening to newstalk this morning about the best and worst news of the week. someone remarked that they found it incredible that SF are giving out about the timing when (they said) Adams himself choose to go to the PSNI on Wednesday.

But yet the truth of the matter is he wrote to the PSNI 5 weeks ago and said he was available, and then they - I think cynically - decided to wait until the election campaign was in full swing before inviting Adams to drop in.

When i think of it - Ive seen that 'sure didnt he decide to go to the PSNI this week' idea thrown around boards on the various threads about this. Its like the actual truth doesnt even matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

We already know that Ivor Bell is guilty of "aiding and abetting" the murder of Jean McConville. I thought it would be fairly common knowledge at this stage that he is guilty of more than just aiding and abetting it.

If he "ordered" the killing (to put it into paramilitaryspeak), then on the face of it that's either conspiracy to murder, or aiding and abetting murder. Of the two, aiding and abetting is, I understand, the more serious, since it carries the same sentence as the murder itself.
    wrote:
    Criminal Law Act 1977Whosoever shall aid, abet, counsel, or procure the commission of any indictable offence, whether the same be an offence at common law or by virtue of any Act passed or to be passed, shall be liable to be tried, indicted, and punished as a principal offender.

Of course, the accusation would apparently be that Adams was guilty of exactly the same act, and hence offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The whole thing stinks!

Has ger been on dirty protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

A guy I know who is into conspiracy theories suspects that Gerry will be found dead in the cell in PSNI station and it will be deemed suicide: not unlike Dr David Kelly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_(weapons_expert)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

by that logic nobody can ever be considered innocent - only that there was no evidence capable of convicting him

Yes, and if you keep flinging mud some of it will stick, that is why people keep doing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement