Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

A guy I know who is into conspiracy theories suspects that Gerry will be found dead in the cell in PSNI station and it will be deemed suicide: like Dr David Kelly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_(weapons_expert)
    If that happened there'd be absolute war.

(They wouldnt be so stupid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

PSNI are taking the piss at this stage. Lot of anger out there now, Gerry is even getting a mural on the falls road.

Oh no's they's painting the walls again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

If that happened there'd be absolute war.

(They wouldnt be so stupid)

perhaps they like it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I think if Adams is released without charge and he returns to the Daíl Kenny and the the rest of his crew will exploit the controversy to the hilt. They'll just keep hitting him with it over and over again every time he speaks. They're like a bunch of obnoxious schoolboys as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

maccored wrote: »
    But yet the truth of the matter is he wrote to the PSNI 5 weeks ago and said he was available, and then they - I think cynically - decided to wait until the election campaign was in full swing before inviting Adams to drop in.

Perhaps he should have written "this is a time-limited offer!" on his letter. Do you think that five weeks ago (assuming that it's practical for the PSNI to carry out the interview immediately, without any preparation, as you seem to blithely assume) wouldn't still have been seen as part of the runup to the locals and the Euros? If Adams wan't to avoid this period, why didn't he agree much earlier? Or slightly later?

I think your cynicism is remarkably blinkered and one-sided, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

I was listening to newstalk this morning about the best and worst news of the week. someone remarked that they found it incredible that SF are giving out about the timing when (they said) Adams himself choose to go to the PSNI on Wednesday.

But yet the truth of the matter is he wrote to the PSNI 5 weeks ago and said he was available, and then they - I think cynically - decided to wait until the election campaign was in full swing before inviting Adams to drop it.

When i think of it - Ive seen that 'sure didnt he decide to go to the PSNI this week' idea thrown around boards on the various threads about this. Its like the actual truth doesnt even matter.

I am sure the PSNI care very much who decides when to cover potholes on country roads in the republic. Sinn Fein are complaining about the timing because they can. If you wanted to mess with Sinn Fein you arrest members before the general election. Preferably with enough time before hand to stop them cashing in on the sympathy vote.

I am guessing Gerry Adams saw what was coming and wanted this over with before the elections but police forces shouldn't move their investigations to suit elections.

I doubt very much this will sink Sinn Fein unfortunately. They are gaining too much support with policies they will drop like hot potatoes once in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

alaimacerc wrote: »
    If he "ordered" the killing (to put it into paramilitaryspeak), then on the face of it that's either conspiracy to murder, or aiding and abetting murder. Of the two, aiding and abetting is, I understand, the more serious, since it carries the same sentence as the murder itself.

I thought it would be more that he's an accessory to the crime, rather the one making the order.

Either way, Ivor Bell is more than likely their man.

All this stuff is just setting the peace process back anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seanachai wrote: »
    I think if Adams is released without charge and he returns to the Daíl Kenny and the the rest of his crew will exploit the controversy to the hilt. They'll just keep hitting him with it over and over again every time he speaks. They're like a bunch of obnoxious schoolboys as it is.

It's the only way of avoiding the questions members of the opposition ask "quick, lets call Gerry a terrorist to distract everyone again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ah yes, we didn't have to wait long for that whatabouting, did we.

You have a poor understanding of the term 'whataboutery'.

It's not whataboutery to point out that, despite the evidence, not one British soldier involved in the Bloody Sunday massacre has been been brought before the courts while Adams has been arrested in spite of little evidence.

See, that's just pointing out double standards ✔ rather than engaging in whataboutery .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You sure? It's not about whatabouting the British Army, the UVF, Blueshirt Freestater traitors

I hope this phrase gets banned around here soon.

Perhaps because of the time that Adams chose to agree to such questioning? If you're wanting them to do it six months ago, before he'd agreed to make himself available in the North, you'd want to be giving the PSNI a Tardis. (Would also help them with the Haass-process "dealing with The Past". Matt Baggott, Time Cop!) You wanting them to wait for another six months, to suit the electoral strategy better? That really would be political policing.

He made it clear to the Psni that he was available to speak to them at anytime convenient to them over 5weeks ago. No need for tardis/DeLoreans or any other mythical time travel devices.

Keep up.

Ah yes, we didn't have to wait long for that whatabouting, did we. They have some sort of evidence, or at least investigative leads in the form of the Boston College tapes. Are they supposed to just ignore that, on the basis that you'd rather they be investigating other cases, according to your own political preferences, rather than on the basis of what evidence is available?

They have the same 'evidence' ref state collusion in Loyalist murders on the Boston tapes too. My question remains.

Why is Jean McConvilles death being given priority over others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I think if Adams is released without charge and he returns to the Daíl Kenny and the the rest of his crew will exploit the controversy to the hilt.
    Maybe almost to the hilt. If you kill the goose the lays the golden eggs and MLD takes over, they might be shooting themselves in the foot.

Welcome to politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Think of it - they had 5 weeks before this, they know the elections are going for the next month so in reality they could have waited another four/five weeks and take him in then. He is gerry adams. Its not that he could run away to anywhere in the world without someone finding him pretty quickly. He's not exactly a massive risk.

But instead they decided to do it now - when other parties are getting stuck into securing votes. Are you really telling me you dont find that timing suspicious?
    Perhaps he should have written "this is a time-limited offer!" on his letter. Do you think that five weeks ago (assuming that it's practical for the PSNI to carry out the interview immediately, without any preparation, as you seem to blithely assume) wouldn't still have been seen as part of the runup to the locals and the Euros? If Adams wan't to avoid this period, why didn't he agree much earlier? Or slightly later?

I think your cynicism is remarkably blinkered and one-sided, myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am sure the PSNI care very much who decides when to cover potholes on country roads in the republic. Sinn Fein are complaining about the timing because they can. If you wanted to mess with Sinn Fein you arrest members before the general election. Preferably with enough time before hand to stop them cashing in on the sympathy vote.

I am guessing Gerry Adams saw what was coming and wanted this over with before the elections but police forces shouldn't move their investigations to suit elections.

I doubt very much this will sink Sinn Fein unfortunately. They are gaining too much support with policies they will drop like hot potatoes once in power.

"They are gaining too much support with policies they will drop like hot potatoes once in power"

What?? Are you saying that Sinn Fein are as cynical as every other party even Labour?
    Whatever gave you that idea? They have genuine reasons for voting for the Bank guarantees, going into power with the DPP etc.

Shame on you Sir. I say Shame on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

If Gerry is released without charge, he can no longer be publicly linked to the murder. Any newspaper that does can be sued for libel.

Think of it - they had 5 weeks before this, they know the elections are going for the next month so in reality they could have waited another four/five weeks and take him in then. He is gerry adams. Its not that he could run away to anywhere in the world without someone finding him pretty quickly. He's not exactly a massive risk.

But instead they decided to do it now - when other parties are getting stuck into securing votes. Are you really telling me you dont find that timing suspicious?

Decided to do what? Accept his offer of voluntarily presenting himself for questioning? Oh those sneaky bastards :rolleyes:

William F wrote: »
    If Gerry is released without charge, he can no longer be publicly linked to the murder. Any newspaper that does can be sued for libel.

Not necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Others Gerry could have information on could be flight risks. If I found out a police force had changed the flow of an investigation because of an election I would be furious and expect a fair few sackings/resignings over it. The PSNI don't care about the elections here. They are running their investigation anyway.

I am sure if they had waited 5 weeks Sinn Fein would have found another excuse as to why the timing was suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

William F wrote: »

Why hasn't he sued them up to now?

Just because he isn't charged doesn't prove him innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bumper234 wrote: »
    Decided to do what? Accept his offer of voluntarily presenting himself for questioning? Oh those sneaky bastards :rolleyes:

The decide to arrest him, when they could have just as easily questioned him under cation.

• Advertisement

invite him in for questioning. They should have left that request until after the elections - or do it it sometime before the election season officially kicked off.
    bumper234 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Adams would have spent last night sleeping on a steel-framed, wall-mounted bed with a blue plastic foam mattress.

Spring mattresses are not permitted due to the risk of self-harm by suspects.
    The sparse rooms in the suite have no windows and a seatless toilet positioned in the corner.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/gerry-adams-arrest-a-windowless-cell-and-a-seatless-toilet-as-sf-chief-checks-in-to-serious-crime-suite-30237082.html

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am sure if they had waited 5 weeks Sinn Fein would have found another excuse as to why the timing was suspicious.

I'm completely not sure of that. The reason why Sinn Fein are saying the timing is suspicious is because - amazingly - the timing is actually suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

That's my point.

And it would be no different if he is released without charge.

All it would mean there was insufficient evidence to charge him.

People get released without charge all of the time, a file gets sent to the DPP (CPS in NI?) and they decide if there is enough evidence for a trial, not the police, not the politicians in westminster, not the members of the dail, not the local county councils.....the DPP/CPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

PSNI are taking the piss at this stage. Lot of anger out there now, Gerry is even getting a mural on the falls road.

When you consider the publicity this is getting and the polarizing effect it is having, maybe this is a political stunt with one eye of the eu elections.

Gerry walked in to the police station of his own free will I believe.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Valetta wrote: »

Yes it does, everybodies innocent until proven guilty.

That's not true.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The decide to arrest him, when they could have just as easily questioned him under cation.

Or maybe they wanted to make.sure he didn't get off on a technicality

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote: »
    Why hasn't he sued them up to now?

Because up to now no-one could ever say the PSNI had fully questioned him and didn't have anything to charge him with. Well - that cant be said yet either, but if the only evidence is the Boston tapes then he probably will be released without charge.

No - but it also doesnt prove him guilty. and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. You dont need to be proven to be innocent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement