Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When you consider the publicity this is getting and the polarizing effect it is having, maybe this is a political stunt with one eye of the eu elections.

Gerry walked in to the police station of his own free will I believe.......

Ah yes, it's Gerry playing the PR game now, he walked in there and begged them to arrest him, and the poor, misunderstood British establishment fell for his conniving ways, damn you Gerry, daaaammmnnn yoooouuu!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I hope this phrase gets banned around here soon.
    I hope the practice is banned around here, sooner.
    He made it clear to the Psni that he was available to speak to them at anytime convenient to them over 5weeks ago. No need for tardis/DeLoreans or any other mythical time travel devices.

Keep up.
    I just dealt with that supposed "point". Keep up yourself.
    They have the same 'evidence' ref state collusion in Loyalist murders on the Boston tapes too. My question remains.

Why is Jean McConvilles death being given priority over others?

And can you actually stand up the premise of said question? Which other individuals have been named by BC tapes that have been obtained by the PSNI? Are you certain there's really the same evidence, and different "priorities" for different cases? Or it it merely a convenient rhetorical device to assert the "OMG political policing!" where others would see "investigating a murder".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

maccored wrote: »
    invite him in for questioning. They should have left that request until after the elections - or do it it sometime before the election season officially kicked off.

So criminal investigations should only be done at times that suit the suspected criminal involved ?:rolleyes:

bumper234 wrote: »
    Or maybe they wanted to make.sure he didn't get off on a technicality

Like?

Anything he said while being questioned under caution could be used in a case against him, just like anything he said while under arrest could be used against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

William F wrote: »
    Yes it does, everybodies innocent until proven guilty.

./QUOTE]

Not true.

Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah yes, it's Gerry playing the PR game now, he walked in there and begged them to arrest him, and the poor, misunderstood British establishment fell for his conniving ways, damn you Gerry, daaaammmnnn yoooouuu!

Let's face it, Sinn Fein aren't adverse to pulling political stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

When you consider the publicity this is getting and the polarizing effect it is having, maybe this is a political stunt with one eye of the eu elections.

Yeah I'm sure Gerry at the age of 65 is enjoying spending two nights and god knows how long to go in Antrim interrogation center. It was a fiendish plan all along.

He offered to talk to them 5 weeks ago, the PSNI decided to wait until the election was in full swing before asking him to meet with them. Political policing from the minority continuity ruc elements of the PSNI which will destroy a fair bit of the confidence people have in the PSNI which is really unfair on the ordinary PSNI officer you meet in the street the majority of whom are young and very professional

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

but not on a date of his choosing.
    In a statement, Mr Adams said while he had concerns about timing, he is "voluntarily meeting with the PSNI this evening".

If he had organised the when for the meeting, he wouldnt have 'had concerns about timing'

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

A guy I know who is into conspiracy theories suspects that Gerry will be found dead in the cell in PSNI station and it will be deemed suicide: not unlike Dr David Kelly

Yeah, they really are that stupid.

I think we need a clarification here: David Kelly's own family are satisfied that his death was suicide and that he'd been having suicidal thoughts in the run up to his death (and anyone around when Kelly was questioned could see the man was breaking down badly). Also, the circumstances are completely different. Kelly went for a walk in an isolated area where he took his own life.

One highly controversial man alone in a prison cell suddenly dropping down dead would be crying out for the Tin Hat Army to mobilse and lay siege to the internet. Not to mention the wider, political and community ramifications of such a foolish action.

Yeah I'm sure Gerry at the age of 65 is enjoying spending two nights and god knows how long to go in Antrim interrogation center. It was a fiendish plan all along.

He offered to talk to them 5 weeks ago, the PSNI decided to wait until the election was in full swing before asking him to meet with them. Political policing from the minority continuity ruc elements of the PSNI which will destroy a fair bit of the confidence people have in the PSNI which is really unfair on the ordinary PSNI officer you meet in the street the majority of whom are young and very professional

My claims are no less farcical than yours to be honest.

• Advertisement

Let's face it, Sinn Fein aren't adverse to pulling political stunts.

Lets face it, you aren't adverse to being ridiculous in your attempts to defend the honour of the imperial image.

No theres not. There no difference in me saying you are innocent or me presuming you to be innocent. Youre still innocent, which means you arent guilty.
    Valetta wrote: »
    William F wrote: »
    Yes it does, everybodies innocent until proven guilty.

./QUOTE]

Not true.

Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

People get released without charge all of the time

That is why the law upholds the presumption of innocence

Valetta wrote: »
    Why hasn't he sued them up to now?

Just because he isn't charged doesn't prove him innocent.

Maccored (and doubtless others) seem to think that "interviewed and not charged" somehow establishes that one is innocent on the balance of the evidence, innocent in fact, unable to be held liable in civil suit, and have a cast-iron case for libel if people continue to say "yeah, probably did it". Never mind it's been explained slowly and clearly that this is not the case.

Lets face it, you aren't adverse to being ridiculous in your attempts to defend the honour of the imperial image.

You're not adverse to talking bollox, but we can't all be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Do people really thing the psni give a **** about Irish local elections. This political stunt theory is total rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Do people really thing the psni give a **** about Irish local elections. This political stunt theory is total rubbish.

It's on the same day as European elections genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

The decide to arrest him, when they could have just as easily questioned him under cation.

Sorry but thats Bollox. If you are not under arrest you can up and leave the first question you do not like.

The suspected criminal? IN reality its the person who offered to meet the PSNI of his own free will at a date that suited. Its a pretty important time for a politician right this minute, so inviting him in, in the middle of an election is a bit of a ****e thing to do to a TD.

If they had arrested him without his voluntary presentation then that would be another thing. but they hadnt the reason to arrest him outright.

Considering the fallout this will have on the PSNI and how republicans in the north view the PSNI - they could have been a bit diplomatic and realise now just isnt a good time, and in fact makes the place look a bit like animal farm.

So criminal investigations should only be done at times that suit the suspected criminal involved ?:rolleyes:

but not on a date of his choosing.

If he had organised the when for the meeting, he wouldnt have 'had concerns about timing'

Are you suggesting he could just stroll up at his will and make a statement?

• Advertisement

Your not adverse to talking bollox, but we can't all be perfect.

Very unparliamentary language there Fredrick. Very telling of your roots in a maritime environment.

you forgetting about the elections in the north?

There are local an European elections in the North next month as well you know?

when did i suggest that? You should trying reading my posts Fred.
    Are you suggesting he could just stroll up at his will and make a statement?

Maphisto wrote: »
    Sorry but thats Bollox. If you are not under arrest you can up and leave the first question you do not like.

If he chose to leave then they could have arrested him, and at least said it was because he was refusing to cooperate with proceedings and they wanted ask specific questions.

Very unparliamentary language there Fredrick. Very telling of your roots in a maritime environment.

Meh. I am mortified about my grammar though😱

So if someone isnt guilty, then they can kinda still be guilty .... ? Even after the PSNI quizzing the man for days and they cant find enough credible evidence to charge him with anything? He's still guilty even after that? Jaysus ... animal farm is right.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Maccored (and doubtless others) seem to think that "interviewed and not charged" somehow establishes that one is innocent on the balance of the evidence, innocent in fact, unable to be held liable in civil suit, and have a cast-iron case for libel if people continue to say "yeah, probably did it". Never mind it's been explained slowly and clearly that this is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The suspected criminal? IN reality its the person who offered to meet the PSNI of his own free will at a date that suited. Its a pretty important time for a politician right this minute, so inviting him in, in the middle of an election is a bit of a ****e thing to do to a TD.

If they had arrested him without his voluntary presentation then that would be another thing. but they hadnt the reason to arrest him outright.

Considering the fallout this will have on the PSNI and how republicans in the north view the PSNI - they could have been a bit diplomatic and realise now just isnt a good time, and in fact makes the place look a bit like animal farm.

Have you ever known someone to be arrested who isn't a suspected criminal?

The decide to arrest him, when they could have just as easily questioned him under cation.

Do you believe that everyone whose interview is sought in connection with a murder investigation deserves this courtesy? And to be thereby terminate the questioning at a moment of their choosing? Or is this another aspect of Adams' immunity badge?

• Advertisement

yes.

the PSNI arrested me once, as they wanted me for questioning. I wasnt a criminal though. They arrested me so they could put me in a cell before taking me out for 10 mins of questioning. Then happy I had no involvement in what it was they released me. It happens quite a lot. though no longer to me. that was when I was a teenager.
    Have you ever known someone to be arrested who isn't a suspected criminal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement