Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Christy42 wrote: »
    If I found out a police force had changed the flow of an investigation because of an election I would be furious and expect a fair few sackings/resignings over it.
    "It's political interference, by which we mean we didn't get enough interference in our favour!"
    The PSNI don't care about the elections here.

To be fair, both sets of elections are happening in the UK at the same time too, so the same consideration still applies (if it applies at all).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Meh. I am mortified about my grammar though😱

What are those symbols? did you slip while typing on your phone?

I don't really care about grammar or spelling on AH, or in general, once I know what someone is saying I'm happy enough with that. No point being a pedant when you know what someone is saying and what they meant. If you aren't sure you can always ask for clarification.

In this case, twasn't needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

maccored wrote: »
    yes.

the PSNI arrested me once, as they wanted me for questioning. I wasnt a criminal though. They arrested me so they could put me in a cell before taking me out for 10 mins of questioning. Then happy I had no involvement in what it was they released me. It happens quite a lot. though no longer to me. that was when I was a teenager.

So they arrested you because they SUSPECTED YOU OF A CRIME, after they questioned you they let you go. So for that time while under arrest yoi were a SUSPECTED CRIMINAL.

You see how it works now.?

bumper234 wrote: »
    Have you ever known someone to be arrested who isn't a suspected criminal?

I'm not sure of the correct jargon in these islands, but I believe that one can be arrested as a "material witness", among other reasons.

None of which would seem to apply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

So if someone isnt guilty, then they can kinda still be guilty .... ?

Was the previous explanation somehow too complex for you? Is there some part of "probably did it, but there's not sufficient evidence they're guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" you're not getting yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

5 weeks is not a long time in the greater scheme of things. So why did Gerry offer to make himself available? His own timing seems a little odd.

But we're not talking about "here", we're talking about the UK. (That the UK is three different criminal jurisdictions somewhat complicates this, mind.)

My understanding is that UK arrest powers extend, in some circumstances, to witnesses.

5 weeks is not a long time in the greater scheme of things. So why did Gerry offer to make himself available? His own timing seems a little odd.

Well it was Mary Lou's birthday the other day and rumour has it that the bould Gerry forgot to get her a prezzie so he asked the PSNI could he stay with them for a few days until.she calmed down a bit.

Every bit as plausible as some of the conspiracy theories being bandied about in here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

They have to have a VALID reason, no judge will agree to let the police hold someone for no reason.

How naive of you. This is Northern Ireland laws were brought in to detain people for no good reason except being catholic during the troubles. Or do you just like to remember the wrongs carried out by the IRA?. Please educate yourself about the situation in the North as it still stands today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

i don't like the man but the timing is just too perfectly timed [...]

I am massively suspicious myself. Slap bang between a referendum and a general election, and only a few weeks from being half-way between summer and winter! Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

Probably thought it would be a good political stunt. Just before the elections, making himself available for questioning over a controversial matter.

Still may work in his favour if released without charge!

in fact makes the place look a bit like animal farm.

Orwell wrote some excellent other stuff too, you know. Perhaps you might want to branch out a little in your literary references.

crusher000 wrote: »
    How naive of you. This is Northern Ireland laws were brought in to detain people for no good reason except being catholic during the troubles. Or do you just like to remember the wrongs carried out by the IRA?. Please educate yourself about the situation in the North as it still stands today.

He was arrested as a suspect in a murder case not taken back to the 70's and interned, cop on and stop making **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

''I don't think so'' doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

If you're going to disagree with a post I suggest you back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I wonder if the detectives will get their extension, as they already asked for one. This will be interesting. I just have a feeling that they won't get the extension though.

Well, that's cleared all that up, then!

I've satisfied myself, on the basis of some google-grade research, that in England&Wales powers to arrest witnesses on warrant exist. (Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980.) The law in NI on this may be identical, somewhat different, or wholly different.

I'm disinclined to do this further to death because, as I also said, I don't think it has any relevance to this case.

• Advertisement

He was arrested as a suspect in a murder case not taken back to the 70's and interned, cop on and stop making **** up.

So let me get this right all the laws brought in during the troubles no longer exist ? Written out of history according to you.

And you accuse me of making things up. Look around you for a while and see that although they'res a peace process little has changed. PSNI have the use of anti terrorism laws at their disposal an can use them. Now I wish i had made that up.

crusher000 wrote: »
    So let me get this right all the laws brought in during the troubles no longer exist ? Written out of history according to you.

And you accuse me of making things up. Look around you for a while and see that although they'res a peace process little has changed. PSNI have the use of anti terrorism laws at their disposal an can use them. Now I wish i had made that up.

EVERY country has anti terrorism laws in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The RUC may be gone and the PSNI may be a more acceptable police force in NI but I think its obvious that the same Special Branch is still pulling the strings, until Loyalist/collusion murders are investigated with the same gusto as the McConville case then I won't change my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I've satisfied myself, on the basis of some google-grade research, that in England&Wales powers to arrest witnesses on warrant exist. (Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980.) The law in NI on this may be identical, somewhat different, or wholly different.

Here's an extract from the Act you refer to, which to me is completely incomprehensible:
    Other matters: generalE+W+S+N.I.
    4Paragraphs 5 and 6 below have effect subject to paragraphs 2 and 3 above.E+W+S+N.I.
    5Without prejudice to any express amendment made by this Act, a reference in an enactment or other document, whether express or implied, to an enactment repealed by this Act shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as, or as including, a reference to this Act or to the corresponding provision of this Act.E+W+S+N.I.
    6Where a period of time specified in an enactment repealed by this Act is current at the commencement of this Act, this Act shall have effect as if the corresponding provision of it had been in force when that period began to run.E+W+S+N.I.

Saving for transitionals in ordersE+W+S+N.I.

7(1)This paragraph applies where any provision of an old enactment—E+W+S+N.I.
    (a)was brought into force by order which made transitional provision in connection with the provision brought into force, or
    (b)fell to be brought into force by order which could have made transitional provision in connection with the provision brought into force, if this Act had not been passed.
    (2)In that case, an order under section 155(7) of this Act may make corresponding transitional provision in connection with any provision of this Act corresponding to that of the old enactment.

I'm not making any point other than arrest laws can be very, very complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

The RUC may be gone and the PSNI may be a more acceptable police force in NI but I think its obvious that the same Special Branch is still pulling the strings, until Loyalist/collusion murders are investigated with the same gusto as the McConville case then I won't change my opinion.

The PSNI knows the identity of those who were involved in the Ballymurphy massacre and Bloody Sunday yet they've arrested nobody.

They've had this information a lot longer then these tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

I wonder what if:

The PSNI actually have some solid evidence that is not in the public domain and they charge him and and and

he is convicted! :eek::eek::eek:

Wouldn't there then be some serious mingling of political cats and pigeons??

EVERY country has anti terrorism laws in place.

Apologies I'll type slowly and more clearly. PSNI have anti-terrorism laws at their disposals brought in during the troubles that are still in law to day and they can use to detain a person without a reasonable cause but if they suspect someone of a crime. this is a good enough reason to detain someone.

ps please read the above again before typing so you understand fully the point I am trying to make in regard to the point you made concerning the PSNI not being able to detain someone without a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Considering the fallout this will have on the PSNI and how republicans in the north view the PSNI - they could have been a bit diplomatic and realise now just isnt a good time....

When is a good time?

If they'd held off 'til after the Euro & Local elections, you'd then have had the DUP and creepy wee Jim Allister bleating on about the timing of big Gerry's arrest.

PSNI are damned if they do......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

they were incorrect to suspect me as a criminal, so even if Adams is a 'suspected criminal', what odds does that make? They can suspect all they want. Suspicions dont work in a court room though.

So they arrested you because they SUSPECTED YOU OF A CRIME, after they questioned you they let you go. So for that time while under arrest yoi were a SUSPECTED CRIMINAL.

You see how it works now.?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement