Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I note that neither SF nor Martin Mc Guinness are denying that he made those statements.

They don't have to, only an idiot would come to that conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Red Pepper wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0502/614764-adams-mcconville/

Mr McGuinness said Sinn Féin would "reflect" and "review" its support for policing in the region if Mr Adams is charged. But he urged republicans to remain calm if and until that happened.

I have gained some respect for McGuinness in recent years but that is a shocking thing to say for a democratic leader. I imagine there are a lot of political negotiations going on in the background now. Adams will escape this charge either way.

Mrs McConville's eldest daughter last night said she is prepared to name the people she believes are responsible for her mother's death.
    "What are they going to do to me? They have done so much to me in the last 42 years," she told BBC's Newsnight.
    "Are they going to come and put a bullet in my head? Well, they know where I live."

I hope she does.
    The problem is that she was not there when her mother was kidnapped, she had gone out to the shops, so her testimony would be hearsay.

William F wrote: »
    They don't have to, only an idiot would come to that conclusion.

Good, so we can agree that Mr Mc Guinness did say what numerous media outlets are reporting he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Was Adams in the IRA? Yes
    Was Adams involved in the McConville murder? Yes
    Was Adams a member of the unit that did the actual abduction, torture and murder? Unknown
    Will Adams be charged? Unlikely
    Will Adams be convicted? Absolutely No. The continued peace process is much more important than any victims.
    Will Adams step down as leader of SF? He absolutely should. He loses SF a lot of votes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

About time this undignified, murderous terrorist was arrested and put under proper scrutiny for the crimes he has committed and many people in Ulster are delighted at this news and we await the day when justice is properly done for the crimes this man and his cohorts committed.

The apologists for the murder of a mother of 10 who was abducted and shot in the head and then buried in a hole will not deter the majority of right minded thinking Irish people wanting to see justice done for the family of Jean McConville. Now for the PSNI to investigate all people who committed murder and make them face the courts and let the rule of law over come all political threats from Sinn Fein.

They have had long enough to run from justice and use political threats and attempting to intervene in a police investigation. The majority of Northern Ireland are behind the PSNI on this case and we support the PSNI and An Garda Síochána. I wish them the best of luck in putting these bastards behind bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I have absolutely no idea who you are, though your post appears to make you seem both intransigent and close minded.

Hold on I have to fix that.
    I would never agree with you on any matter. I know who you are.

There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Can anyone give me update he can only be held until 8pm tonight unless they go to court to extend the period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

alaimacerc wrote: »
    But there's very unlikely to be a trial, for that very reason. If the only evidence is deceased testimony of other alleged participants, it'll be questionable if that's even admissible. The defence would (quite rightly) argue that such is likely to be prejudicial, and that they're being denied to crossexamine the people concerned to put to them such obvious countercharges as that they they're settling scores, and that they're deflecting or "spreading" blame from their own involvement and responsibility.

It certainly wouldn't constitute a prima facie case, which would be what was required for it to go to trial if charged, much less to have a realistic chance of success, which is the test the prosecutor is required to apply before deciding whether to proceed.

Maybe not

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/
    Two senior republicans have refused to give statements in the past 24 hours to the PSNI implicating Gerry Adams in IRA activity. As the Sinn Fein leader continues to be questioned by detectives at Antrim PNSI base, we have learned that officers asked for statements from Evelyn Gilroy and Peter Rodgers.

Both have made claims in the past few weeks about Adams.

Rodgers said last week that Adams had ordered him to take unsafe explosive material to Britain for a bombing campaign there.
    Evelyn Gilroy had said on April 24: "I'm speaking out for the first time because I'm very angry that grassroots republicans are being arrested.

"Police have lifted people who were 15 and 16 at the time of the killing, yet Gerry Adams remains untouched. I'm disgusted that ordinary republicans are being put through the mill for his actions.

"It defies belief that he hasn't been arrested. The police should stop chasing those who were never in a position in the republican movement to order Jean McConville's execution and instead arrest the only person who was in that position - Gerry Adams.

"He has got away with so much over the years. He now seems to be getting away with this as well. It will be a disgrace if ordinary people end up carrying the can for what he did."

I would never agree with you on any matter. You know who I am and I know who you are.

I have absolutely no idea who you are, though your post appears to make you seem both intransigent and close minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Rereg alert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Birroc wrote: »
    Was Adams in the IRA? Yes
    Was Adams involved in the McConville murder? Yes
    Was Adams a member of the unit that did the actual abduction, torture and murder? Unknown
    Will Adams be charged? Unlikely
    Will Adams be convicted? Absolutely No. The continued peace process is much more important than any victims.
    Will Adams step down as leader of SF? He absolutely should. He loses SF a lot of votes.

Yeah I think this is about right. I actually hope he is charged though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bumper234 wrote: »

What's the bet the word " Hear say " will be posted for the next several pages of replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Gatling wrote: »
    What's the bet the word " Hear say "

That's two words you've put in inverted commas there fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I really do think that McGuinness should just stfu until Adams is either charged or released. He's making himself look rather stupid for someone that is in fact quite intelligent.

I've been on the 'other side' of the argument in this thread so far.. but seriously, he and other SF members should play their cards a lot closer to their chests in matters like this. Fair enough, come out and show your support for party leader, but claiming it all to be a conspiracy, when Adams himself is the one that chose when to meet with police..? That's just bizarre.

Has anyone made an argument against the fact that it was Adams that amicably decided to meet with police now? And how is he concluding that police extending his detention period 'proves' that it's a conspiracy? =/

Gatling wrote: »
    What's the bet the word " Hear say " will be posted for the next several pages of replys

They would want it written in the blood of Belfast virgins on the shroud of Turin and would then still scream conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

This post has been deleted.

Which is precisely what I said several posts ago. Power to arrest witnesses in some instances. Not pertinent to cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Lookalike?

Exhibit A.

Exhibit B.

Lookalike?

Exhibit A./quote]

Should the first line of the mural say widow maker

Lookalike?

Exhibit A.

Wow these guys are some operators. It takes something like this to remind me how devious SF can be.

Goebbels would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Lastlight. wrote: »
    About time this undignified, murderous terrorist was arrested and put under proper scrutiny for the crimes he has committed and many people in Ulster are delighted at this news and we await the day when justice is properly done for the crimes this man and his cohorts committed.

The apologists for the murder of a mother of 10 who was abducted and shot in the head and then buried in a hole will not deter the majority of right minded thinking Irish people wanting to see justice done for the family of Jean McConville. Now for the PSNI to investigate all people who committed murder and make them face the courts and let the rule of law over come all political threats from Sinn Fein.

They have had long enough to run from justice and use political threats and attempting to intervene in a police investigation. The majority of Northern Ireland are behind the PSNI on this case and we support the PSNI and An Garda Síochána. I wish them the best of luck in putting these bastards behind bars.

1. you don't speak for tha majority
    2. our boy gerry isn't a undignified, murderous terrorist
    3. "he" hasn't commited any crimes.
    4. they don't use political threats nor intervene in police investigations.
    5. no, the people of ulster aren't all behind the police, many are, and many aren't as they still miss trust them

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Hold on I have to fix that.

I would never agree with you on any matter. I know who you are.

Clearly you don't , and the content of your post still displays both a closed mind and intransigence.

Wow these guys are some operators. It takes something like this to remind me how devious SF can be.

Goebbels would be proud.

They had to paint him with mouth closed, not enough white paint in Belfast to paint Gerry's new teeth in :D

5. no, the people of ulster aren't all behind the police, many are, and many aren't as they still miss trust them

Lol

The posts just get worse :D

1. you don't speak for tha majority ( do you old boy)
    2. our boy gerry isn't a undignified, murderous terrorist ( hear say )
    3. "he" hasn't commited any crimes. ( hear say ) (dial an alibi)
    4. they don't use political threats nor intervene in police investigations.( they prefer threats of violence and intimidation)

I agree with my fix

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

And Santa Clause is real..........

:eek:

now I know what "shinnerbot" means!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Seaneh wrote: »
    "we want to talk to him for longer as we feel the case is high profile and he is a suspect".

That's a valid reason for extension.

I think those are necessary, but not necessarily sufficient. Googling it (class research here, as always!) I find that it's also required that:
    • The investigation is being conducted diligently and expeditiously.
    • Further detention is necessary to secure or preserve evidence relating to the offence or to obtain such evidence by questioning you.
    So unless all such court hearings are just "Chief Inspector, do you have a good faith belief that it's necessary?" "Yes, m'lud, I have such a belief." (in which case the hearing is literally pointless) I'm inferring that the judge is entitled to ask "what are you wanting to ask him that you haven't been able to by now?", "what's the time criticality preventing release and re-arrest at a later time?", "would you ever be getting the finger out?" and such other germane questions.

If detention goes beyond 96h, you can count me in on the "stinks badly" crowd on basic civil rights grounds. That'd be retrospectively applying "prevention of terrorism" measures in a case that's more accurately viewed as a historic case review.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I really do think that McGuinness should just stfu until Adams is either charged or released. He's making himself look rather stupid for someone that is in fact quite intelligent.

I've been on the 'other side' of the argument in this thread so far.. but seriously, he and other SF members should play their cards a lot closer to their chests in matters like this. Fair enough, come out and show your support for party leader, but claiming it all to be a conspiracy, when Adams himself is the one that chose when to meet with police..? That's just bizarre.

Has anyone made an argument against the fact that it was Adams that amicably decided to meet with police now? And how is he concluding that police extending his detention period 'proves' that it's a conspiracy? =/

Adams did not choose the time of the meeting. He offered to meet 5 weeks ago. A few days back he/his lawyer was contacted and he was asked to come in and meet them (otherwise he would become wanted and they'd arrest him). Adams was not happy with the timing and felt that it was designed to damage the election campaign. He was led to believe that he would be interviewed "under caution" and not actually arrested. He was also led to believe that he would not be held overnight never mind more than two days.(ie he could go home and come back the next day or whenever they wanted to meet again).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

This whole affair shows that Adams is a highly divisive element and Sinn Fein will be better off without him. Sooner or later the new breed in SF will realise that unless they are complete stool pigeons and I don't think that they are. Some of the guff coming from McGuinness and McDonald will also deter people from voting SF. Total inconsistent and a reminder of their lies the time of the McCartney killing, McCabe killing and the Northern Bank job

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement