Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

INTERNATIONAL pressure is growing for the release of Gerry Adams following his politically-motivated arrest by the PSNI.
    Greece - Protesters from the SYRIZA political coalition, the second-largest political group in the Greek parliament, demonstrated outside the British Embassy in Athens where party leader and candidate for President of the EU Commission, Alexis Tsipras, called for the immediate and unconditional release of the imprisoned TD.
    USA - Congressman Peter King told NBC News that the political implications of Gerry Adams' arrest will cause growing tension in the North. He added that he has known Gerry Adams for 30 years and described him as "always truthful" and "more instrumental than anyone" in bringing peace to Ireland.
    Basque Country - Basque pro-Independence party Sortu, which makes up the Basque Parliament's opposition EH Bildu coalition, described the arrest as an attack on the Peace Process and "an attempt stop the unstoppable advance of republicanism in the whole island of Ireland."
    Catalonia - The Young Republican Left of Catalonia (JERC), the youth wing of Esquerra, the second-largest political grouping in Catalonia, described the arrest as "an attempt to discredit him and his political organization, Sinn Fein, in a moment in which the local and European elections seem to be very favorable."
     Italy - Banners calling for the release of Gerry Adams were carried by left-wing demonstrators during the annual May Day march in the city of Milan.

No word yet from the Skibbereen Eagle?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think we may have some orchestrated trouble on the streets of Northern Ireland tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

(Reuters) - In the bars of South Boston, Irish-Americans reacted with shock on Thursday to the news that Gerry Adams, a man some regard as a hero for his role in the peace process, had been arrested in Northern Ireland in connection with a murder committed 42 years ago.

Some were worried that Adams' arrest would cause trouble back in Ireland and expressed anger that the U.S. government had cleared the way for the release of a trove of documents by Boston College researchers that may have paved the way for the arrest.

Boston college researchers ? first time I heard of this scenario. "May Have" but no solid truth that this is the case.

All the tapes are coded, for each interviewees, as far as I am aware the people who recorded these interviews have refused to release the codes to the RUC/PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The using of the Boston University tapes in this way means that we will have less people willing to speak about what happened during the past 40 years and we're running out of time to get these people's stories.

Boston College -- BU is an entirely separate institution. I think it cuts both ways. So far and far as I'm aware, the interviews released have all respected the participants' wishes for them to be released only after their deaths. The legal wrangling's been about full transcripts vs. secondary work published on the basis of them, and the fact of other people involved still being alive. There's a tradeoff between eliciting information under the most confidentiality, and having it released in a context where others are able to respond to it in a meaningful way.

All the tapes are coded, for each interviewees, as far as I am aware the people who recorded these interviews have refused to release the codes to the RUC/PSNI.

How would they release it to the RUC? More Time Cop stuff?

Norn Irn. Spiritual home to ritualistic use of the solidus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

So long as it replaces "shinnerbot" or "whataboutery" I'm cool with that.

Another 48 hrs to question him? The man's hardly a flight risk for Christ sake. Political policing and nothing more.

Disappointed with the Psni. We had so much hope for a new and impartial police service, same old same old.

Jaysus, they're awful bastards aren't they...trying to solve a murder and all that. Very disheartening.

You would think that they'd respect Gerry what with him being a politician now, you know?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    And you couldn't arrest soldiers for following orders anyway, you'd have to find the officer/NCO who gave the order.

Only lawful orders. Nuremberg defence isn't watertight, as they found out in... eh, Nuremberg, funnily enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I think we may have some orchestrated trouble on the streets of Northern Ireland tomorrow night

I wouldn't think so....orchestrated violence only serves to strengthen dissidents hand...
    if police were to come in heavy in parts of Belfast...surly this will only strengthen the hand of those who are against the police (they have raised some serious issues though..but will not be taken serious due to being dissidents

Maybe I'm a bit slow or something, but can you clarify this part above for me, as I do not understand it's meaning... Thanks.

They changed the name of the RUC to the PSNI, but the old guard stayed in place, such as the Special Branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

INTERNATIONAL pressure is growing for the release of Gerry Adams following his politically-motivated arrest by the PSNI.
    Greece - Protesters from the SYRIZA political coalition, the second-largest political group in the Greek parliament, demonstrated outside the British Embassy in Athens where party leader and candidate for President of the EU Commission, Alexis Tsipras, called for the immediate and unconditional release of the imprisoned TD.
    USA - Congressman Peter King told NBC News that the political implications of Gerry Adams' arrest will cause growing tension in the North. He added that he has known Gerry Adams for 30 years and described him as "always truthful" and "more instrumental than anyone" in bringing peace to Ireland.
    Basque Country - Basque pro-Independence party Sortu, which makes up the Basque Parliament's opposition EH Bildu coalition, described the arrest as an attack on the Peace Process and "an attempt stop the unstoppable advance of republicanism in the whole island of Ireland."
    Catalonia - The Young Republican Left of Catalonia (JERC), the youth wing of Esquerra, the second-largest political grouping in Catalonia, described the arrest as "an attempt to discredit him and his political organization, Sinn Fein, in a moment in which the local and European elections seem to be very favorable."
    Italy - Banners calling for the release of Gerry Adams were carried by left-wing demonstrators during the annual May Day march in the city of Milan.

Source ??????

• Advertisement

Jaysus, they're awful bastards aren't they...trying to solve a murder and all that. Very disheartening.

You would think that they'd respect Gerry what with him being a politician now, you know?

if he didn't tell being interrogated in the 70s...the hghly regulated psni will hardly get it out of him....for all his flaws adams is no fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's some pretty serious pressure there alright, I bet the Royal Navy and RAF are on full alert tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Good Night Folks.

Wishing you all a peaceful night

Sincerely,

alaimacerc wrote: »
    How would they release it to the RUC? More Time Cop stuff?

Norn Irn. Spiritual home to ritualistic use of the solidus.

The RUC/PSNI requested the codes of each of the parties to be able to identify the voices. Google it. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Is this requirement actually any different? I thought the main difference was the maximum time limit

The main difference is the time limit. 28 days as opposed to 4 makes it far easier for a judge to grant extra time to police who are requesting it.
    Surely they come into it to at least the extent that the police have to argue that he's not yet "cleared up" everything they wanted to put to him. There's a timeliness clause in the legislation, so they can't just be rolling into court and saying "sure now judge, you can't be rushing an interrogation this good".

I honestly don't think they need to mention anything about the suspect 'not clearing' stuff up. They just need to say something along the lines of 'we need more time with the suspect to ascertain (x,y,z)'.. there isn't much more to it than that. They don't need to go in and show that they already have (a,b,c).

The judge isn't deciding on whether or not the suspect has more to answer for.. they're deciding on whether or not police need more time only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

They changed the name of the RUC to the PSNI, but the old guard stayed in place, such as the Special Branch.

Thanks for that Busted Flat I understand now.

That's some pretty serious pressure there alright, I bet the Royal Navy and RAF are on full alert tonight.

no need for pressure....its just a matter of him sitting it out...there no SCC in north (unless psni have magiced some new evidence)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

no need for pressure....its just a matter of him sitting it out...there no SCC in north (unless psni have magiced some new evidence)

And that is entirely possible as with any prolonged investigation, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

It sickens my hole when foreigners and especially damned Irish-Americans think they know best about my country. Fcuk off and mind your own business!

It wouldn't be the first time to do that sort of thing, the old RUC hands are still there, they haven't gone away you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It sickens my hole when foreigners and especially damned Irish-Americans think they know best about my country. Fcuk off and mind your own business!

The voice of progress, ladies and gentlemen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I think there are more people posting in this thread than at all of those protests combined. Look at the source of that report :D

The RUC/PSNI requested the codes of each of the parties to be able to identify the voices. Google it. It's not rocket science.

Why do you say RUC? Boston College's own website says differently...

http://bostoncollegesubpoena.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/psni-legal-bid-for-boston-college-ira-tapes-not-way-to-truth/
    The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) is seeking transcripts of interviews given by former IRA member, Dolours Price, to Boston College.
    This is the first time that Northern Ireland police have tried to use the Boston College oral history collection to build criminal cases.

And that is entirely possible as with any prolonged investigation, is it not?

well short of forensic evidence I cant see what exactly they can have got??

them so called interviews wont stand up as most participants are dead and those that left as much as they are against adams aren't going to stand up in court to put him away...IMO there hardly bound to start recongising british courts now!!!

its known widely rumoured with long while (15+ years min) who is involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

98 pages and over 1450 posts about Gerry Adams volunteering himself for questioning, making an appointment to be questioned and ambushed into an arrest as soon as he arrives. Talk about blowing it out of proportion.

The reason Gerry Adams made himself available is because his name kept coming up and he wanted to clear his name as I presume he feels he is completely innocent and had no connection or knowledge with this case.

I have heard two interviews Danny Morrison gave to radio stations and he's the only person who has offered anything logical and has put the ultimate objective of the Boston tapes into some sort of perspective. He also commented on how the first he heard of McConville was in the late 1990's and this despite him being interned in 1972 alongside people from the Divis flats. Now I know some people would be wary of his opinion as he was once Sinn Fein's director of publicity but I would take his word and opinion over any former IRA member who views Sinn Fein as sell outs and bitter about the direction republicans have taken.

The PSNI are asking Adams questions on books he has written and on books people have written about him. The purpose of this is to try link him directly to any IRA activity so they can then charge him. Gerry Adams will walk free within the next few days and in doing that he will crush the dreams of everybody who has always viewed him as the diamond encrusted trophy arrest that some people dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Ivor Bell has said that the person on the tape os not him afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

http://bostoncollegesubpoena.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/psni-legal-bid-for-boston-college-ira-tapes-not-way-to-truth/
    The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) is seeking transcripts of interviews given by former IRA member, Dolours Price, to Boston College.
    This is the first time that Northern Ireland police have tried to use the Boston College oral history collection to build criminal cases.

"Part of the PSNI’s intelligence section controls all matters concerning addressing the past and is comprised of an old guard of the RUC’s notorious Special Branch, which itself was up to its neck in collusion and murder. These ‘former officers’ also largely form the PSNI’s Legacy Unit that determines the flow of information concerning all conflict related incidents and recommends where public interest immunity should be the order of the day. And because they retired and were then rehired as civilian and consultant staff they remain outside the accountability remit of the Police Ombudsman."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

42 years and 49 hours and all they have managed is to drag ssomebody in on hearsay evidence...yeh, they are trying real hard!

Indeed. So why is Gerry deluding himself? If the birds and the bees know he was a member of the IRA, why does he continue to deny it.
    The small matter of legal responsibility? That it would be disastrous publicity to make such an admission, especially after denying it for so long, and especially in the Republic?
    If his fellow SF Party members don't believe him, why do they continue along with his charade?

Is that a serious question? Do you think anyone joins SF, then realizes Adams might just possibly have "some involvement" with the IRA, and then further thinks "oh noes, I must denounce him as having once done something that was illegal in the UK!"

SF party members are very much "on message" when it comes to massive compartmentalisation. IRA memorabilia, using screen names like "PO'Neill", avatars with balaclava-wearing snipers, not a worry. Their leader was ever in the IRA? Perish the thought!

• Advertisement

They have transcripts and tapes, but no idea of the identities of the contributor's. They are coded and are held by the people who made the tapes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement