Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

bumper234 wrote: »
    And terrorists knew the consequences of committing murder.

Unless they were in RUC/BA costumes which pretty much guaranteed a stay-out-of-jail pass if one of them felt like beating a couple of natives to death or shooting unarmed civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Released.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

efb wrote: »
    ???? Relevance why a Gay Pride March?

Homophobic insult I'd presume.

Hardly surprising considering the poster.

Hopefully a ban is in the offing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

bumper234 wrote: »
    So going by your rules.

If it turns out that Adams is a murderer then he should get life in prison?

well its accepted in didn't kill the woman in question like
    the punishment for all killings/attacks during the troubles is 2 years....that is the punishment so I would have no bother accepting it

there were many sentenced in the troubles to a lot longer for a lot less

Sorry, I don't speak Shinner and I've no idea what you're whittling on about.

she was passing info the british about the IRA...was warned...caught again...so ended up being killed for informing...not the last to be killed for it either
    as the saying geos.....snithes end in ditches:(

not nice but...the sad reality of the situation

she was passing info the british about the IRA...was warned...caught again...so ended up being killed for informing...not the last to be killed for it either

That OK then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Awh.. bless :o

Go on then.. explain the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

what percentage of posters here actually witnessed/experienced any of the conflict in the north?

I have been refused entry to the odyssey arena back in 2005 by a security guard on account of tiny tricolour on my backpack, got let in by another security guard, was refused by a taximan outside cash converters in Belfast City Centre as the rank is/was at the time a protestant taxi rank and the drivers wont go near the falls road area, I wanted to go to the park centre, just two conflicts I have experienced amongst others over the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Care to explain how it's homophobic?

MadsL wrote: »
    That OK then?

it was a more or less war zone like...

unfair as it is....she got one warning not to do it than most

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

well its accepted in didn't kill the woman in question like
    the punishment for all killings/attacks during the troubles is 2 years....that is the punishment so I would have no bother accepting it

there were many sentenced in the troubles to a lot longer for a lot less

I agree with Adams when he says that the murder was wrong, a great injustice and shouldnt have happened. Nearly everyone does.

What I object to is the myth building which has gone around about McConville to make her into some sort of ultra pure super victim whose murder was way abover and beyond the thousands of others on all sides. Reality, especially when it comes to the troubles, is not so black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there's probably a few regualr posters who are trying to post on this thread while furiously puling the mickey offa themselves

give it a few minutes lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

In Ireland you have to be arrested to be interviewed. An arrest in itself simply means there are questions they want to put to you. It's a pretty ****ty system when you think about it. There is no way to formally interview a suspect without arresting them first. It may be the same in NI.

They are allowed to conduct a voluntary interview under caution. However I've never heard of police do that because at the first question the person does not like they can leave. That then leaves police the decision of arresting then or letting go. So its problematic if they arrest then under what grounds ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

SF doing well in pre-election surveys...can't be having that..boosh.
    Are you seriously insinuating this "arrest" by the Police Service of another jurisdiction is as a consequence of some sort of request by the Irish government to curb SF's momentum in the opinion polls?

Don't you think that would be a pretty serious affair if true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Are you seriously insinuating this "arrest" by the Police Service of another jurisdiction is as a consequence of some sort of request by the Irish government to curb SF's momentum in the opinion polls?

Don't you think that would be a pretty serious affair if true?

There are elections in the UK too

it was a more or less war zone like...

unfair as it is....she got one warning not to do it than most

More or less?

Justified in your eyes it seems. Shooting civilian women is part of what ethics of war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Awh.. bless :o

Go on then.. explain the above.

No thanks, I'll leave it for the Mods.

Who know, you might be able to weasel you're way out of it:pac:

Released.

BBC Newsline are live outside the police station and the reporter hasn't mentioned that he's been released. :confused:

Any confirmation that he has been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Sinn Fein will never hold power in this state

Jean McConville might disagree.

• Advertisement

I agree with Adams when he says that the murder was wrong, a great injustice and shouldnt have happened. Nearly everyone does.

What I object to is the myth building which has gone around about McConville to make her into some sort of ultra pure super victim whose murder was way abover and beyond the thousands of others on all sides. Reality, especially when it comes to the troubles, is not so black and white.

if Gerry adams was not linked to this...there wouldn't be half the interest....there was a father of 8 I think disappeared (wrong aswell) in south Armagh as well....who even less justification was given for...don't think any was...it was an even bigger injustice IMO

it served no one to disappear these people...all should be returned

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

what percentage of posters here actually witnessed/experienced any of the conflict in the north?

I grew up in Portlaoise with a Northern father and spent most of my childhood holidays in the North

Had plenty of experience of dealing with the conflict both in Portlaoise and in the North in the 70s/80s/90s

No news sources are reporting he's been released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

are we going to try and justify taking human life now are we?
    why do guns exist?

More or less?

Justified in your eyes it seems. Shooting civilian women is part of what ethics of war?

she hardly counts as a civilan if she is seeking out/passing information onto the british army (enemy in a war with the IRA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Perfect timing for the local elections!

Great that people get a reminder of the kind of scummy murderous behaviour the Shinners/IRA got up to!
    all of them, ye?

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

she hardly counts as a civilan if she is seeking out/passing information onto the british army (enemy in a war with the IRA)

Justifying it then. "Collaborators will be shot" being your line. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

your post actually has me speechless :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Justifying it then. "Collaborators will be shot" being your line. Really?

Could you tell me any other conflict where it would tolerated? Republicans could hardly imprison her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The people out there who vote sinn fein know full well Gerry Adams is or was mixed up in all the bad **** that went down, I think his popularity and the party's cannot be affected by anything like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No thanks, I'll leave it for the Mods.

Who know, you might be able to weasel you're way out of it:pac:

Well I'm not banned yet.. so go right ahead.

If you have the fortitude to call someone a homophobe at least back it up in some way.

Otherwise piss off and don't reply to me any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement