Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

That's some pretty serious pressure there alright, I bet the Royal Navy and RAF are on full alert tonight.
    The usual crap from an Englishman that understands how Irish people feel about outside interference.
    If he wants to hear about atrocities let him read the Falklands war and Mr Wendy Deng's adventures in the Middle East.
    Fratton Fred, did you really believe the whole ballyhoo about the WMD? Go on, admit it. And you slavishly followed the leader.
    Both Thatcher and Blair caused so many deaths between them. But the great British public still revere them. One of the reasons why Britain is now considered a joke here in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They have transcripts and tapes, but no idea of the identities of the contributor's. They are coded and are held by the people who made the tapes.

Even if (however unlikely) the PSNI got access to all the Boston tapes and were told who is who in them, would that stand up in court?

Realistically nobody's going to be admitting to anything to the PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The main difference is the time limit. 28 days as opposed to 4 makes it far easier for a judge to grant extra time to police who are requesting it.
    It does? This sounds like woolly logic to me. You're saying that NIPSer asks for an extension to four days, and the judge says, "oh well, terrorism offence, four days is nothing, work away! I'll maybe actually trouble to look at any of the case you're presenting, oh, shall we say in a fortnight, maybe?"

Extensions under the POTA have to meet the same standard as any other, as far as I know.
    The judge isn't deciding on whether or not the suspect has more to answer for.. they're deciding on whether or not police need more time only.

Which I'm saying is only possible to do with reference to some sort of an account of the course of the investigation and questioning so far. You're making it sound like the police just turn up, say "the dog ate my homework", and the magistrate says "no problem, have another two days to do it over", ad infinitum. (Well, ad end-of-the-month.)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    42 years and 49 hours and all they have managed is to drag ssomebody in on hearsay evidence...yeh, they are trying real hard!

Not sure if they have more to go on than that...are you? Anyway, although You may well have a point I would prefer to wait and see what happens next before I judge them or him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Even if (however unlikely) the PSNI got access to all the Boston tapes and were told who is who in them, would that stand up in court?

Realistically nobody's going to be admitting to anything to the PSNI

I think so too - we only know where the poor woman's body was buried because a storm unearthed it. With all the deep and dark elements at play here, her family, and many others, will never see justice. In some ways, that is the price of peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The usual crap from an Englishman that understands how Irish people feel about outside interference.
    If he wants to hear about atrocities let him read the Falklands war and Mr Wendy Deng's adventures in the Middle East.
    Fratton Fred, did you really believe the whole ballyhoo about the WMD? Go on, admit it. And you slavishly followed the leader.
    Both Thatcher and Blair caused so many deaths between them. But the great British public still revere them. One of the reasons why Britain is now considered a joke here in Europe.

Drunk posting, it's not big and certainly not clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFQQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flocal-national%2Fnorthern-ireland%2Fboston-tapes-name-gaffe-confessions-may-be-useless-after-identity-codes-lost-29455178.html&ei=7xtkU-TzHMPg7QaCoYDoAg&usg=AFQjCNG3ARGVA1OOrwiNeVyC5VMl4zebpA

BY JIM DEE – 29 JULY 2013
    It was reported at the weekend that Boston College, which holds the tapes, had lost the coded keys identifying individual participants among the dozens of former IRA and UVF members interviewed for its oral history Belfast Project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

How much longer do you reckon it'll be before he "paints the walls brown?"

sabat wrote: »

Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Sigh, someone already tried to be "hilarious" like this earlier in the thread and failed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Sigh, someone already tried to be "hilarious" like this earlier in the thread and failed.

Oh no someone thinks the holy hunger strikers were a bunch of scatalogical weirdos and not the blessed martyrs of Éire IRA apologists want us to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Oh no someone thinks the holy hunger strikers were a bunch of scatalogical weirdos and not the blessed martyrs of Éire IRA apologists want us to think.

Don't be upset that willie frazer already used your line

I never once said that.

Your joke and attempt at being witty on after hours to make people laugh just failed, badly...

But keep up the insults if it makes you feel like the big man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Get this buffoon a stage. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Scatological weirdness is a natural part of life.. just ask Margaret Thatcher's poopy scoopers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Don't worry, they'll be playing softly softly with Gerry, they cant put a bag on his head and batter him around the place for 3 or 4 days like they did to him in what some posters here would call "the good old days"

I wonder if they'll still think this is great craic if SF do what martin mcguinness said they would and "review" their support of the PSNI on the back of this blatant political policing by segments of the psni. If they do that then dup will probably pull out of stormont and the whole thing will collapse and the progress that has been made will be down the jacks and we'll be back to sh!tty direct rule, neglect and political and economic stagnation and god knows what else. Yeah, real funny

Don't worry, they'll be playing softly softly with Gerry, they cant put a bag on his head and batter him around the place for 3 or 4 days like they did to him in what some posters here would call "the good old days"

I wonder if they'll still think this is great craic if SF do what martin mcguinness said they would and "review" their support of the PSNI on the back of this blatant political policing by segments of the psni. If they do that then dup will probably pull out of stormont and the whole thing will collapse and the progress that has been made will be down the jacks and we'll be back to sh!tty direct rule, neglect and political and economic stagnation and god knows what else. Yeah, real funny

A situation the British government and unionists would relish.

Martin McGuinness is effectively threatening to pull out of the peace process if this doesn't go Gerry's way.

That, right there, is political policing.

A situation the British government and unionists would relish.

Why?

Why?

Because Sinn Fein are the biggest threat to ending partition.

Bring down Fein and power sharing and you take away this problem.

• Advertisement

Why?

Here was I thinking you had some cop on.:eek:

Bring down Fein and power sharing and you take away this problem.

Ok.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Martin McGuinness is effectively threatening to pull out of the peace process if this doesn't go Gerry's way.

That, right there, is political policing.

No he's not. He's saying that given what has happened SF may have to reevaluate their support of the PSNI and who can blame them

Ok.......

Explain why you disagree ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No they are not, they are part of the establishment within Northern Ireland now, they have no real desire anymore to end partition.

They have all but renounced all connections to Republicans and are just another "Left" party now.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Why?

At no stage in the Boston tapes was the McConville murder mentioned, PSNI grasping at straws. People find it hard to believe it's political motivated but we are dealing with a British Dept. that sent out plain closed soldiers to shoot innocent people on the streets in the belief it was the IRA that carried out the killings.

wazky wrote: »
    No they are not, they are part of the establishment within Northern Ireland now, they have no real desire anymore to end partition.

They have all but renounced all connections to Republicans and are just another "Left" party now.

Em...ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Man: I need a shave
    Friend: You are getting a bit of a gerry.

Man: My face is horribly scarred!
    Friend: Just do a gerry adams and grow a beard.

.......Also known only as a gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

the dissident republicans must be loving all this carry on,
    "hey Gerry, they* haven't gone away you know" - "this is where the peace process gets you" etc etc
    * MI5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Kinda ironic that they referenced an event where the British misunderstood the Irish question for the umpteen time. They have either done it again or are orchestrating support for SF. They know that all that needs to happen is SF get into power north and south and Britain gets it exit. SF are gaining from this, Irish people are not stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement