Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

wazky wrote: »
    No they are not, they are part of the establishment within Northern Ireland now, they have no real desire anymore to end partition.

I imagine they have a desire to end partition, but does anyone find their "strategy" persuasive? Far from being effective "persuaders of Unionism", opinion polling suggests that they've managed to fail to convince significant numbers of their own voters (and more SDLP voters still) that a united Ireland's something they'd actually chose if there were a "border poll" tomorrow.

Of course, those critiquing them for being "insufficiently Republican" would worsen this problem, rather than in any way addressing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Martin McGuinness is effectively threatening to pull out of the peace process if this doesn't go Gerry's way.

That, right there, is political policing.

It's Martin McGuinness's fault that Gerry Adams is in custody now?

No he's not. He's saying that given what has happened SF may have to reevaluate their support of the PSNI and who can blame them

Well, anyone that supports the peace process can, for starters. It's not quite "pulling out" of the GF process, but it's most certainly rolling back on it. I think the "threatening" parts stands without qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Em...ok.

Do you disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Explain why you disagree ?

Do you really believe anyone wants the troubles to kick off again, other than a few hard line republicans.

So far we've had the excuse of old RUC elements in the PSNI.

We've also had the excuse that Cameron is worried Sinn Fein might win a few seats in the eu elections.

Now it's because the British are worried about SF being the biggest threat to partition.

There's also the possibility that Gerry Adams was actually involved in the murder and evidence has surfaced that can't be ignored. How would that work if the PSNI blatently ignored compelling evidence?

Does anyone really believe that Villiers or Cameron hasn't already phoned Matt Baggot and told him that he had better be 100% certain about this? The ramifications are huge, the PSNI are not going to be taking this action lightly.

• Advertisement

Do you really believe anyone wants the troubles to kick off again, other than a few hard line republicans.

So far we've had the excuse of old RUC elements in the PSNI.

We've also had the excuse that Cameron is worried Sinn Fein might win a few seats in the eu elections.

Now it's because the British are worried about SF being the biggest threat to partition.

There's also the possibility that Gerry Adams was actually involved in the murder and evidence has surfaced that can't be ignored. How would that work if the PSNI blatently ignored compelling evidence?

Does anyone really believe that Villiers or Cameron hasn't already phoned Matt Baggot and told him that he had better be 100% certain about this? The ramifications are huge, the PSNI are not going to be taking this action lightly.

It's a multitude of things but at the heart of it is the crisis of the United Kingdom falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

In fairness the vast majority of violence in NI during the last 18 months has come from hard line loyalists I would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Worth watching. Hopefully it well get across to some here the seriousness of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

William F wrote: »
    It's a multitude of things but at the heart of it is the crisis of the United Kingdom falling apart.

mother of jaysus:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In fairness the vast majority of violence in NI during the last 18 months has come from hard line loyalists I would have thought?

That's just mindless thugs being mindless thugs. It is dissident republicans that are attempting to continue an actual armed campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

That's just mindless thugs being mindless thugs. It is dissident republicans that are attempting to continue an actual armed campaign.

Do you really think that the violence wasn't orchestrated by loyalist gangs?.

Then, Unionist politicians refusal to denounce the violence was plain stupid and dangerous.

mother of jaysus:rolleyes:

A worst case scenario for the Scottish referendum in September would be for Scotland to exit the Union and Ireland to follow suit.

Perhaps your just too stupid to realize that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A worst case scenario for the Scottish referendum in September would be for Scotland to exit the Union and Ireland to follow suit.

Under what mechanism does 'Ireland follow suit'? :confused:

Phoebas wrote: »
    Under what mechanism does 'Ireland follow suit'? :confused:

By Sinn Fein holding a dual mandate (again worst case scenario).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Worth watching. Hopefully it well get across to some here the seriousness of the situation

Watched it. Yes, it did get across to me the seriousness of the situation.

The naked attempt by McGuinness to interfere in the police work was a clear threat to our democracy.

Threats to withdraw support for the police because one of his own had been arrested is something you would expect in a mafia-run society or a corrupt African country. It is quite incredible what McGuinness was saying.

The onus is now on Gerry Adams to tell all he knows about the killing of Jean McConville. Hopefully arrests and convictions will result as it is now clear that there are some SF supporters who know what happened and it is up to them (including Mr. Adams) to tell the police what they know.

Our democracy hangs on a knife-edge similar to 1929. In that case, FF left the guns behind and supported the new State. A similar test now faces Sinn Fein. Support the police and find the killers of Jean McConville and SF will have passed the first real test of becoming a democratic-only party. Withdraw support for the police and stonewall and refuse to co-operate with the police and we will know that one leopard has not changed its spots.

A dual mandate for what?
    Northern Ireland won't leave the union without the majority of people in N.I. agreeing to it.
    Neither the outcome of the Scottish referendum nor SF magically having some kind of 'dual mandate' (whatever you mean by that) provide a way for N.I. to exit the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what planet are you on?

Godge wrote: »

The naked attempt by McGuinness to interfere in the police work was a clear threat to our democracy.

The only clear threat to democracy which I can see is a police force with a political motive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Best case scenario, Gerry gets taken by the boiler suit men and flung into a shallow bog hole along with buddy Martin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

A dual mandate for what?
    Northern Ireland won't leave the union without the majority of people in N.I. agreeing to it.
    Neither the outcome of the Scottish referendum nor SF magically having some kind of 'dual mandate' (whatever you mean by that) provide a way for N.I. to exit the union.

So you think a border poll and Scotland leaving the Union wouldn't influence moderate Unionists decision to follow suit considering a large portion of them claim descent from Scotland?

Come off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The only clear threat to democracy which I can see is a police force with a political objective.

That press conference will come back to haunt McGuinness and his cronies.

So you think a border poll and Scotland leaving the Union wouldn't influence moderate Unionists decision to follow suit considering a large portion of them claim descent from Scotland?

Come off it
    You have an 'interesting' perspective - I'll give you that!

You have an 'interesting' perspective - I'll give you that!

I'm thinking it might be through the bottom of a bottle at this stage, mind. Have we adjourned from "After Hours" to "Cheeky Lock In"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Threats to withdraw support for the police because one of his own had been arrested is something you would expect in a mafia-run society or a corrupt African country. It is quite incredible what McGuinness was saying.

Oh look, it's Jim Allister's little apprentice boy.

What happens in corrupt societies, like the one that allowed its police force and army to murder innocent people, is that justice gets applied unequally. McGuiness is simply pointing out an uncomfortable truth to the likes of you.

Come off it

"Following suit" would imply NI independence as a "statelet", rather than unification. There's a few in the North that have toyed with that, but it's hardly a flier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Karl Stein wrote: »
    What happens in corrupt societies, like the one that allowed its police force and army to murder innocent people, is that justice gets applied unequally. McGuiness is simply pointing out an uncomfortable truth to the likes of you.

Spot the difference>

McGuiness: "We fully back the PSNI."

*Adams arrested*

McGuiness: "The PSNI is a corrupt cabal with a political agenda, and was responsible for Bloody Sunday, terrorist attacks, death mobs and the utter extirpation of the Catholics of Ireland!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The onus is now on Gerry Adams to tell all he knows about the killing of Jean McConville. Hopefully arrests and convictions will result as it is now clear that there are some SF supporters who know what happened and it is up to them (including Mr. Adams) to tell the police what they know.

Our democracy hangs on a knife-edge similar to 1929. In that case, FF left the guns behind and supported the new State. A similar test now faces Sinn Fein. Support the police and find the killers of Jean McConville and SF will have passed the first real test of becoming a democratic-only party. Withdraw support for the police and stonewall and refuse to co-operate with the police and we will know that one leopard has not changed its spots.

The onus will be on the PSNI to have a compelling reason for arresting and more to the point subsequently extending the detention of a central political figure. If it is not adequate then it will seriously undermine them. The stakes are a lot higher after today. Sunday should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

McGuiness: "We fully back the PSNI."

McGuiness said they'd fully back the PSNI unconditionally is it?

Please try to keep the discussion in the real world.
    McGuiness: "The PSNI is a corrupt cabal with a political agenda, and was responsible for Bloody Sunday, terrorist attacks, death mobs and the utter extirpation of the Catholics of Ireland!"

I think that just might be the stupidest strawman I've ever read on boards.ie.

Congratualtions, you've won a box of crayons and a colouring book that will keep you entertained for months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement