Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Spot the difference>

McGuiness: "We fully back the PSNI."

*Adams arrested*

McGuiness: "The PSNI is a corrupt cabal with a political agenda, and was responsible for Bloody Sunday, terrorist attacks, death mobs and the utter extirpation of the Catholics of Ireland!"
    SF have long said that there is a minority continuity ruc element in the PSNI. When they decided to support the PSNI and voted on it they didnt go from one POV to the opposite.

They reached the opinion that given the new, reforming guard in the PSNI, who Martin McGuinness has lots of praise for and things such as policing boards and devolution of much of the justice powers to Stormont (though not all sadly) the old cabal could, and would with the passage of time, be overcome. They did not decide to support the PSNI because they thought it an excellent police force. They did so because they felt that the benefits of doing so, - the DUP agreeing to powershare - and the devolution of some justice powers and the policing boards would enable them to improve the PSNI and make it into an impartial police force. And they have largely been successful but this has been undermined by the old ruc guard and the despicable practice of rehiring former RUC officers - who were made redundant to make a new impartial force.

There have been hicups along the way with the continuity RUC elements but they have been sorted/are getting better. This however is the biggest bump along the road so far and it remains to see who will be allowed triumph - the reformers or the RUC die hards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The onus will be on the PSNI to have a compelling reason for arresting and more to the point subsequently extending the detention of a central political figure. If it is not adequate then it will seriously undermine them. The stakes are a lot higher after today. Sunday should be interesting

It'll always be adequate to some and never adequate to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

alaimacerc wrote: »
    "Following suit" would imply NI independence as a "statelet", rather than unification. There's a few in the North that have toyed with that, but it's hardly a flier.

Where in the Good Friday Agreement does it state that Northern Ireland is to become an independent state?

Go to bed William.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

US congressmen now questioning timing of Adams arrest, bit embarassing for the Irish neo-Unionist lackies internet warrior brigade:

US congressmen question timing of Adams arrest Peter King and Richard Neal query motives behind arrest of Sinn Féin president

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-congressmen-question-timing-of-adams-arrest-1.1782211

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Nothing is ever as simple as yes or no Nodin, you should know that.

To answer your question I would not generally categorize myself as a pacifist but I certainly don't condone the actions of terrorists.

Who, in this context, do you define as terrorists? The British Army or the IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

SF have long said that there is a minority continuity ruc element in the PSNI. When they decided to support the PSNI and voted on it they didnt go from one POV to the opposite.

They reached the opinion that given the new, reforming guard in the PSNI, who Martin McGuinness has lots of praise for and things such as policing boards and devolution of much of the justice powers to Stormont (though not all sadly) the old cabal could, and would with the passage of time, be overcome. They did not decide to support the PSNI because they thought it an excellent police force. They did so because they felt that the benefits of doing so, - the DUP agreeing to powershare - and the devolution of some justice powers and the policing boards would enable them to improve the PSNI and make it into an impartial police force. And they have largely been successful but this has been undermined by the old ruc guard and the despicable practice of rehiring former RUC officers - who were made redundant to make a new impartial force.

There have been hicups along the way with the continuity RUC elements but they have been sorted/are getting better. This however is the biggest bump along the road so far and it remains to see who will be allowed triumph - the reformers or the RUC die hards.

Good summation. The fact that there is a die-hard securocrat element in the security forces is to some extent understandable.

What isn't so much understandable is the droves of internet keyboard warriors who can barely contain themselves at the prospect of ruining the peace process. What exactly is going on inside their pointy little heads?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Go to bed William.

You guys really do work hard don't you?

porsche959 wrote: »
    What isn't so much understandable is the droves of internet keyboard warriors who can barely contain themselves at the prospect of ruining the peace process. What exactly is going on inside their pointy little heads?

Seriously - if the peace process can be 'ruined' by Gerry Adams being arrested, then we don't really have one at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Oh look, it's Jim Allister's little apprentice boy.

What happens in corrupt societies, like the one that allowed its police force and army to murder innocent people, is that justice gets applied unequally. McGuiness is simply pointing out an uncomfortable truth to the likes of you.

This is 2014, post the GFA with the PSNI.

Whether we agree or disagree about the past is neither here nor there. What we have learned is that SF is only committed to peace so long as the police don't shine a light on its dark side. A democracy cannot operate like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

William F wrote: »
    Where in the Good Friday Agreement does it state that Northern Ireland is to become an independent state?

... You're drunk, William, go home.

That's precisely what I'm saying will not occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

The police in Northern Ireland have been granted extra time to question Gerry Adams over the 1972 murder of Jean McConville.

Wasn't 42 years enough, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tokarev wrote: »
    The police in Northern Ireland have been granted extra time to question Gerry Adams over the 1972 murder of Jean McConville.

Wasn't 42 years enough, then?

No

they have new evidence

No

they have new evidence

From voices from the grave

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Point or three here...
    a) Micky didn't say anything remotely close to this. Putting words into people's mouths just to find something to argue against has to be done a lot more skillfully than this if you've a hope of pulling it off;
    b) It's shameless whataboutery;
    c) ... and I dunno, do you have any particular examples in mind? Without straying outside your own defined parameters, if you'd be so good.

I don't believe I follow. What's the significance of the precise timing?

The gist of the evidence, as I understand it, is that at least two people claim to have personal knowledge that Adams was the person actually making the "order". Several other people claim that he was the person "in command", whose decision it would logically have been. Which may be all wrong, of course, and certainly may be insufficient for the matter to proceed much further, but what's it to do with "timing"?

Well, that was all very enlightening, wasn't it. Who needs a point, when you can just throw an equivalent postal weight of abuse?

Still not understand? It's gathering momentum both here and in mainland Europe. Perhaps you just enjoy ploughing a lonely furrow.

US congressmen question timing of Adams arrest
    (Irish Times)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-congressmen-question-timing-of-adams-arrest-1.1782211

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Godge wrote: »
    This is 2014, post the GFA with the PSNI.

Funny that, you get all 'this is 2014' when I point out the realities of the nasty little ****-hole that was the north your ilk supported for decades rather than have a taig about the place.
    Whether we agree or disagree about the past is neither here nor there.

You disagree that the RUC was a Union/loyalist hornets nest that beat Catholics to death and the British Army murdering people? Na, we don't disagree on the past, I talk facts about the past and you deny the realities.
    What we have learned is that SF is only committed to peace so long as the police don't shine a light on its dark side.

Nationalists and Republicans are committed to peace as long as those who purport to serve them are committed to being fair and applying justice equally. Not pursuing the Bloody Sunday murderers while detaining Adams is nothing other than the manifestation of double standards when it comes to justice.
    A democracy cannot operate like this.

I agree. If they're going to go after people for past crimes then do so impartially. Obviously this is not happening which is why Gerry Adams is in custody and the vermin who murdered while wearing state uniforms are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Godge wrote: »
    That press conference will come back to haunt McGuinness and his cronies.

What makes you think this ?. I thought he explained the situation very well, so I don't understand your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

From voices from the grave

the murdered disappeared have no voice

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm having my doubts about the timing by the PSNI as well. Also will we see any of the bloody sunday terrorists arrested for their roles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    It's gathering momentum both here and in mainland Europe.
    Momentum up from "none" to "very little"! Stay tuned for... very little developments indeed. Honestly, I've gone over this "threading the needle" argument in painful detail already, one wonders why you're dredging up posts from way earlier, replying to someone entirely muddling what they were trying to say about "timing". "I'm willing to be interviewed, but if you don't do it in jig time, or defer to some unspecified future date, I'll cry 'political policing'!"

Shocking when people prioritise "murder investigation" over "May's really bad for me", isn't it.
    US congressmen question timing of Adams arrest[/SIZE] (Irish Times)

Thanks for that link, as I hadn't seen the "water standing charge" story thumbnailed at the bottom. The actual story... Grandstanding US congresscritters, well, guess what they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

steddyeddy wrote: »
    will we see any of the bloody sunday terrorists arrested for their roles?

Highly unlikely. You can't have the footsoldiers of the British establishment in jail for shooting the natives, it's bad for morale, exposes the nature of privilege and power, and is ultimately bad for brand GB.

Adams will be released after they try and do as much damage as possible. Then a statement will be issued that at this moment he is a free man but that does not mean that it is the end of the matter. Then some goon from London will say that the PSNI know that Adams is guilty but that they have not enough evidence. And that terrorists will never win ....... not seeing the irony in the fact that they funded State terrorism in the form of naive, uneducated youths (just like the Tans before them), who could not get a job in civvy street falling over themselves to "do their bit" for Queen & Country - yobs in uniform, being sent abroad to do the failing empire's dirty work AND NOT WINNING. Thereby verifying the statement at first hand!
    But just like their recent adventures in the Middle East and older ones further afield .......... they raise the white flag and bullshit the media into talking about an honourable withdrawl. The unfortunate thing being - most of the peasants from Newquay to Newcastle lap it up. It takes their minds off their miserable lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Adams will be released after they try and do as much damage as possible. Then a statement will be issued that at this moment he is a free man but that does not mean that it is the end of the matter. Then some goon from London will say that the PSNI know that Adams is guilty but that they have not enough evidence. And that terrorists will never win ....... not seeing the irony in the fact that they funded State terrorism in the form of naive, uneducated youths (just like the Tans before them), who could not get a job in civvy street falling over themselves to "do their bit" for Queen & Country - yobs in uniform, being sent abroad to do the failing empire's dirty work AND NOT WINNING. Thereby verifying the statement at first hand!
    But just like their recent adventures in the Middle East and older ones further afield .......... they raise the white flag and bullshit the media into talking about an honourable withdrawl. The unfortunate thing being - most of the peasants from Newquay to Newcastle lap it up. It takes their minds off their miserable lives.
    I see we're all having a few jars for the BH weekend! :pac: Bottoms up all!
    Shall we all agree to return to the world of reality some time in the (late) morning? :D

Shall we all agree to return to the world of reality some time in the (late) morning? :D

Sorry to disappoint old bean. No May Day here - but cheers anyway! :D

the murdered disappeared have no voice

I wouldn't expect them to since they're dead? Maybe they can call in Derek Acorah as an expert witness?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

steddyeddy wrote: »
    will we see any of the bloody sunday terrorists arrested for their roles?

no, these vermin will get away with it because they were members of the british army, they will enjoy protection from the british state, keep their medals for bravery, and have the apologists and delusianelests whining in the comments section on the daily fail about how the government and the people have backstabbed, and are showing contempt for, and disrespect for "our boys"

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I wouldn't expect them to since they're dead? Maybe they can call in Derek Acorah as an expert witness?

Is there something mentally wrong with you? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Are you sure that the so-called reality you are living in is absolutely real ? Yes, you can touch and feel matter with your matter-body, but when you break your entire body down to the atom and electron you could possibly be in two places at the same time theoretically, but is this reality actually real ? I'm starting to question this effect when reading the news lately, because everything feels like it's backward, or not functioning correctly. Maybe it's the beer... or maybe it's just an illusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So poor wee gerry is still in the klanky ,

International outrage seriously though Valamir must have messed up there plans .

WW3 is about to break out in eastern Europe and one congressman ,who was mostly likely written a nice cheque for his so called outrage over a suspected murdered who chose his moment to make his statement key word he choose his moment to present himself,
    Must be quite on the hill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement