Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I'm sorry, but with all of the world wide attention this case is getting the whole fear from a small group of dissidents, who are too busy killing themselves, is a weak excuse. One of the main aims of the other republican groups is to shift support within the Republican Community away from Sinn Fein to them. Threatening the McConville family would completely work against this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Wow, Republican mural painted in Republican area. Says it all really.

zzzzzzzzzz,trollville ,that way ..

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Rockatansky I think you're being deliberately insensitive. The mural was painted near where the attack took place.

It's on the Falls road at the same location as the rest of the Republican Murals! Many people have been killed near that area

Did this Mural only go up after Gerry Adams was arrested?? That's a serious question by the way? How long does it take to paint a mural?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I'm sorry, but with all of the world wide attention this case is getting the whole fear from a small group of dissidents, who are too busy killing themselves, is a weak excuse. One of the main aims of the other republican groups is to shift support within the Republican Community away from Sinn Fein to them. Threatening the McConville family would completely work against this.

Genuinely made me lol.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Genuinely made me lol.

Why?

To name a few International News Websites:

http://edition.cnn.com/EUROPE/.

www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-northernireland-adams-detention-idUSBREA410IC20140502

So it doesnt have world Wide Attention??

• Advertisement

jellyboy wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzz,trollville ,that way ..

Fantastic response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

jellyboy wrote: »
    and to follow the fear thread ..

they have decided to place a new mural of the great leader just across from where Mrs mc conville was taken

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/new-gerry-adams-mural-is-painted-in-west-belfast-as-sinn-fein-president-remains-held-over-jean-mcconville-murder-30239341.html

says it all really …
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Rockatansky I think you're being deliberately insensitive. The mural was painted near where the attack took place.

How did you come to the conclusion (from that link) that the mural was erected "just across the road" from where Jean McConville was taken?

The falls runs from the city centre for over 3 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

THE P.S.N.I.

"They haven't gone away you know!!"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Calibos wrote: »
    THE P.S.N.I.

"They haven't gone away you know!!"

:D

Don't you mean.. The RUC "They haven't gone away you know!!" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Genuinely made me lol.

Why did you genuinely lol at that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The only people who seem to be withholding information in all this are the McConville Children. In their own words personally knew some of the people who took their mother away yet won't stand up in court and say who. Now is their chance. Maybe there's some valid reason why they haven't that I have just yet to hear, but to say its fear from dissident Republicans is ridiculous.

This is true, the family are divided and there does seem to be some jostling for attention here.
    It is high time that they make known what they know (which I doubt is in any way useful, tainted as it is by time, memory and hearsay and rumour)

They are sadly not the only bereaved family and it is time to get off the pot if they are unwilling. I am sorry for their loss but the more this goes on the more I am worried about the whole process, frankly.

It is a 'process' and a very fragile one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If history has shown anything it's peace processes or agreements in Ireland never last, and it's a vicious cycle that repeats itself.

The process is very fragile at the moment with loyalists and their issues.

This isn't gonna help it in anyway, but some people are to stupid to realise it and are delighted that Gerry Adams is in a cell.

Some things never change, and if the process fails and things kick off again, I hope they will still be smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Why?

To name a few International News Websites:

http://edition.cnn.com/EUROPE/.

www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-northernireland-adams-detention-idUSBREA410IC20140502

So it doesnt have world Wide Attention??

Fox News? Zilch
    NBC? Zilch
    ABC? Zilch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Fox News? Zilch
    NBC? Zilch
    ABC? Zilch

All three have covered it over the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Yeah easy to find two day old webpages in the archives. He is yesterdays news, not a mention of him on the current pages.
    This is not an international story, it is a small local story about a supposed "political hero" being questioned about serious crimes in which he is alleged by some to have been involved.

, it is a small local story

Now I genuinely LOL'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Yeah easy to find two day old webpages in the archives. He is yesterdays news, not a mention of him on the current pages.
    This is not an international story, it is a small local story about a supposed "political hero" being questioned about serious crimes in which he is alleged by some to have been involved.

Adams arrest is very much an international story to say otherwise I wouldnt think isnt accurate. its among the top searched stories on newsnow its been reported on around the world. I wonder will he be charged suppose we will find out soon enough.
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Gerry+Adams+Arrest
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/?search=gerry+adams&searchheadlines=1

If history has shown anything it's peace processes or agreements in Ireland never last, and it's a vicious cycle that repeats itself.

The process is very fragile at the moment with loyalists and their issues.

This isn't gonna help it in anyway, but some people are to stupid to realise it and are delighted that Gerry Adams is in a cell.

Some things never change, and if the process fails and things kick off again, I hope they will still be smiling.

So they shouldn't have arrested a suspect in a murder case they should have just ignored it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Barely gets a mention on the majority of news outlets ,

Ukraine,
    Afghanistan,
    School girls wanted to murder teacher ,
    Jeremy Clarkson ,
    Max Clifford ,
    Peaches geldoft

All taking more priority over wee gerrys current predicament

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Fail.

Here's the New York times.
    Criminal charges against Mr. Adams would complicate the politics of both Northern Ireland and Ireland. Some believe that the allegations against him would be very difficult to prove, and under the Good Friday agreement, his maximum sentence would be two years.

The 1998 agreement has been faulted for not providing a peace and reconciliation process that would give amnesty from prosecution for older crimes in return for public confession. Nor does the agreement resolve how to treat suspects who remain liable to arrest and prosecution, or those who might be charged later for crimes committed during the conflict.

In February, there was an uproar when it was revealed that the police had sent letters to hundreds of former republicans telling them that they no longer faced arrest. Unionist politicians were infuriated.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/03/world/europe/police-allowed-to-extend-gerry-adamss-time-in-custody.html?_r=0&referrer=

On my mobile at work, so can't be bothered linking to more.

So they shouldn't have arrested a suspect in a murder case they should have just ignored it?

Well their doing a fine job of ignoring many others, why change ?

This is not about other things though is it? This is about the arrest of a suspected criminal who may or may not be complicit in the murder of Jean McConville. You can huff and puuff and say whatabout this that and the other until the cows come home but at the end of the day he was arrested because he is a suspect in a crime. You may not want to hear that and you may not like it but it's the truth.

I think it is safe to say it is a major news issue that is being reported on by most International News Agencies. Like all issues it only stays in the headlines for a certain period of time before it gets dropped down with newer items appear. When he is either charged / released I'm sure it will be back near the top of most of them again.

Or for that poster who believes its only a local news issue, I'm sure you can find out what the latest update is on Sunday after Mass. Some of the old folks standing around chatting after will be able to fill you in.

I think it is safe to say it is a major news issue that is being reported on by most International News Agencies. Like all issues it only stays in the headlines for a certain period of time before it gets dropped down with newer items appear. When he is either charged / released I'm sure it will be back near the top of most of them again.

Or for that poster who believes its only a local news issue, I'm sure you can find out what the latest update is on Sunday after Mass. Some of the old folks standing around chatting after will be able to fill you in.

I would love to see this as the main headline on every major network around the world. The more people who are reminded of his TERRORIST past the better imo.

This is not about other things though is it? This is about the arrest of a suspected criminal who may or may not be complicit in the murder of Jean McConville. You can huff and puuff and say whatabout this that and the other until the cows come home but at the end of the day he was arrested because he is a suspect in a crime. You may not want to hear that and you may not like it but it's the truth.
    The point im trying to make which is relevant to the situation is if they ain't arresting people they have more evidence about murders than they have on Adams, then it is clearly political policing.

Now you may not want to hear it or like it but it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's just whataboutery really.
    The PSNI have evidence of Adams involvement so they were bound to question him - something that Adams himself accepted.

I can't see what the fuss is really - some republicans seem to think that Adams should be untouchable.

I would love to see this as the main headline on every major network around the world. The more people who are reminded of his past the better imo.

Exactly my point, the more sense who realise what he done in bringing about peace the better.

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's just whataboutery really.
    The PSNI have evidence of Adams involvement so they were bound to question him - something that Adams himself accepted.

I can't see what the fuss is really - some republicans seem to think that Adams should be untouchable.
    As I have already said it's relevant to the case because it amounts to political policing.

It's whataboutery if I just said oh what about the bloody Sunday killings.

But because it stinks of something more then my point is valid.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point, the more sense who realise what he done in bringing about peace the better.

There you go, i have edited my post especially for you ;)
    I would love to see this as the main headline on every major network around the world. The more people who are reminded of his TERRORIST past the better imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement