Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Are we going to continue this asinine conversation?

Says the person posting this kinda stuff;

I know a man who has some answers. He's tall, bearded and wears glasses but he's not jolly old St. Nick.
    Even if I did I'm not stupid enough to testify against Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Results of this poll published on 27th April

www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/poll-fg-gets-it-in-the-neck-sinn-fein-rampant-new-party-call-30221426.html

Adams arrested on May 1st, having written to the PSNI back in March. Seems like very bad timing for Sinn Fein alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

This is nothing more than a Kremlin style purge on the Republican movement which see a rise in bloodshed across nationalists areas in the North of the Irish Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

pO1Neil wrote: »
    This is nothing more than a Kremlin style purge on the Republican movement which see a rise in bloodshed across nationalists areas in the North of the Irish Republic.

No such thing as an Irish Republic. Residents of non existent countries don't tend to riot. I think we're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I really hope that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've had to add a warning to this thread and am repeating it here for all: Labelling people who disagree with you as "Shinnerbots" is not going to be tolerated here any more. If that's the extent of you debating skills then it's best that you just don't post anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

I really hope that doesn't happen.

in the news today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

If there is evidence linking Adams to this murder and a case can be presented in court, he should be charged. The evidence will be tested and a jury of his peers will decide his fate.

There is far too much politics in this.

To my mind anyway if we are to move forward with the idea that the hostilities are over. There must be an acceptance of the rule of law and the application of said law to everyone, regardless of who they are or claim to represent.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

There has been worldwide outrage alright, ranging from congressmen in the USA to students in catalonia.

You have shifted from now to outrage from protests.

The fact that there has been no mass protest yet is testament to the Sinn Fein leadership.

Lol

Some backwater politician hoping to grab a few of the Irish votes and a few students in Spain hardly equates to "worldwide outrage" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

12 men and women were involved in the abduction itself. Most were locals or even direct neighbours (Divis flats). Many did not bother with masks. Trust me, everybody knows who was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

StudentDad wrote: »
    and a jury of his peers will decide his fate.

They will not

I see a bidding war starting up between Sky1 and ITV for the new reality TV special starring wee Gerry, gonna be called "I'm a Republican get me out of here! if ye know whats good fer ye, they haven't gone away ya know.:D:D:D

They will not

If he is charged and it goes to trial. A jury of his peers will decide his fate. That's how it works :)

SD

If he is charged and it goes to trial. A jury of his peers will decide his fate. That's how it works :)

SD

No it doesn't, I suggest you read a bit on how these trials are conducted

SD

Not in Northern Ireland.
    Due to IRA terror tactics and jury intimidation a single judge would hear the case without a jury.
    Similar to our Special Criminal Court except we use three judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

SD

Not necessarily in Northern Ireland, where they have Diplock courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

SD

Liar Adams may be charged but he will not go to jail. It will not be allowed happen. You can already see the not-so-veiled threats from SF (McGuinness in particular), imagine the dirty "politics" if he went to trial.

The only benefit to all of this is reminding people how conniving Sinn Fein can be (they simply cant be allowed get into power in ROI) and how untrustworthy Adams is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Not in Northern Ireland.
    Due to IRA terror tactics and jury intimidation a single judge would hear the case without a jury.
    Similar to our Special Criminal Court except we use three judges.

Theres no way there can be a trustworthy judgement in norn iron.

This should be judged by a third party/UN body if thats possible.

Not necessarily in Northern Ireland, where they have Diplock courts.

I was under the impression that those courts had been discontinued. So much for progress.

SD

• Advertisement

Theres no way there can be a trustworthy judgement in norn iron.

This should be judged by a third party/UN body if thats possible.

I don't see why the N.I. courts can't be trusted, they have freed the likes of Colm Duffy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I don't see why the N.I. courts can't be trusted, they have freed the likes of Colm Duffy.

I think in the case of a Gerry Adams trial the outcome may just possibly be open to political influence, you know gigantic political repercussions and that.

I was under the impression that those courts had been discontinued. So much for progress.

SD

Well you cant progress if you have organized crime elements intimidating witnesses and jurors, look at the Robert McCartney murder for instance.
    Special types of evil need special types of courts.
    We have the same problem in this country with the likes of the Dundons etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The only benefit to all of this is reminding people how conniving Sinn Fein can be (they simply cant be allowed get into power in ROI) and how untrustworthy Adams is.
    And this differentiates SF from all he other Irish political parties because it clearly demonstrates... hang on, it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Simple as this. A section of people were discriminated against under some colonial ideas of supremacy. Some people fought for a peaceful solution. The British army killed some of them and killed a peaceful solution. That allowed extremists to take control and in the words of Civil rights leader Ivan Cooper(a protestant who stood up for catholic rights) after bloody sunday
    " I just want to say this to the British Government... You know what you've just done, don't you? You've destroyed the civil rights movement, and you've given the IRA the biggest victory it will ever have. All over this city tonight, young men... boys will be joining the IRA, and you will reap a whirlwind."

No one likes what happened after but it was going to be happen when a peaceful solution was shot down. Someone would have stood up and fought back. The British decorated the troops who shot people in the back and killed unarmed civilians someone was always going to fight back. If not the IRA it was going to be someone else. I was in America when the holy cross dispute happened, I.e the event in which catholic school children had stones and urine thrown at them when they walked by protestant owned houses. Someone in the bar at the time said "If there's a campaign to get rid of people like that I'll fund it".

The impetus was there for violence to occur, it did and to deny the reasons why it happened is to reject peace. If you want to persecute people for fighting back in situations where violence was fostered you're going to open up a lot of old wounds.

Like many people on both sides of politics Gerry Adams fought a campaign of violence but then made enemies on both sides fighting for peace.

I get the impression from a lot of posters on here couldn't care less about his place in the peace process because all that matters to them is that he's a republican and that to them is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Liar Adams may be charged but he will not go to jail. It will not be allowed happen. You can already see the not-so-veiled threats from SF (McGuinness in particular), imagine the dirty "politics" if he went to trial.

Actually i think he has more principles than most politicians this side of the border put together.

Well you cant progress if you have organized crime elements intimidating witnesses and jurors, look at the Robert McCartney murder for instance.
    Special types of evil need special types of courts.
    We have the same problem in this country with the likes of the Dundons etc.

Yes it is depressing to think that the only way to ensure a fair trial is to dispense with juries.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

They have commented on the timing of his arrest, and how it could be perceived as politically motivated. Which, given the sequence of events since Gerry Adams made contact with the Psni signalling his availability to talk with them over five weeks and his subsequent arrest (at election campaign time) they are totally correct on doing so.

I was unaware of this rule you're referring to. Any source for it so I can read More?
    There are rules that apply to us all when a case is sub judice. In a case such as this that is still under investigation, I don't think there is a rule but politicians should and usually do refrain from comment. I would think it stems from the requirement that the legislature and judiciary be independent and be seen to be so.

SF could and should have used this case as leverage to demand more action on murders perpetrated by the BA and let the police get on with their business in this case.

Yes it is depressing to think that the only way to ensure a fair trial is to dispense with juries.

SD

Fair and the Diplock system do not go together

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    And this differentiates SF from all he other Irish political parties because it clearly demonstrates... hang on, it doesn't.

Their leaders haven't just been arrested in relation to a murder that they have repeatedly denied having any involvement in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement