Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Gatling wrote: »

When George bush Jr went to invade Iraq 500,000 protested here ,
    Wee gerry detainment has hardly been mentioned anywhere really a few news titbits ,

A few bouts of Bottery on here ,

Speaking off 'bottery', what level of delusion makes you think 500,000 people protested here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Fair and the Diplock system do not go together

When a jury trial is impossible due to intimidation etc. Special courts are an unfortunate result.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

StudentDad wrote: »
    When a jury trial is impossible due to intimidation etc. Special courts are an unfortunate result.

SD
    or when a conviction is not guaranteed with a jury due to lack of evidence, beating confessions out of prisoners and general nonsense, special courts are preferred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

or when a conviction is not guaranteed with a jury due to lack of evidence, beating confessions out of prisoners and general nonsense, special courts are preferred

As opposed to the IRA Kangaroo courts that tortured and executed dozens including Jean McConville, Tom Oliver etc.
    Better a non jury court than a "republican" court anyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    And this differentiates SF from all he other Irish political parties because it clearly demonstrates... hang on, it doesn't.

As difficult as it might be to believe given the state of our political system and our soft governments, SF in power would be a step back towards the dark ages.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually i think he has more principles than most politicians this side of the border put together.
    Just some of them are the wrong principles...

As difficult as it might be to believe given the state of our political system and our soft governments, SF in power would be a step back towards the dark ages.
    Spare us. We've heard the scaremongering language before. What specifically makes you think the country would be any worse than with the FF/FG rotating duopoly? And no "their economic policy sucks" isn't specific.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually i think he has more principles than most politicians this side of the border put together.

Is continual lying one of those principles? To be fair all our politicians are more than capable of lying.
    Being honest, I would have much more respect for Adams if he admitted membership of the PIRA. And before those posters come in saying "where is your proof?", I don't have the proof (they never gave out membership cards) but I am 100% convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Who was that Roman Senator who said, 'In times of war the law falls silent?' I can't think of his name.

The law has to be applied. This is where we wind up comparing grievances. It's a dead end.

SD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I don't agree. I'm not a SF voter (surprise!) but the more they get pulled in to the political system the better. It will probably reveal their hypocrisy, crazy economic policies etc. However this will not happen unless all parties decide to draw a line under the past. SF can't be demanding enquiries into Ballymurphy and then criticising enquiries into McConville. This applies across the board to the Loyalist/Unionist as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Spare us. We've heard the scaremongering language before. What specifically makes you think the country would be any worse than with the FF/FG rotating duopoly? And no "their economic policy sucks" isn't specific.

Their economic policy is pretty important and the fact that you don't realise that says a lot.

I wouldn't trust SF to run a stall at a carboot sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Putin wrote: »
    Speaking off 'bottery', what level of delusion makes you think 500,000 people protested here?

Flano, his mate down the pub told him.

Their leaders haven't just been arrested in relation to a murder that they have repeatedly denied having any involvement in.
    The question was are they liars or not. Do keep up.
    Quite ironic that you are assuming guilt because someone's been arrested with all the whining about kangaroo courts around here!

The economic policy is pretty important and that fact that you don't realise that says a lot.

The economic policies of the past and present went so swimmingly well.

The economic policy is pretty important and that fact that you don't realise that says a lot.

If you are also incapable of giving any specifics as to why their economic policy sucks you could have just said so.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I don't agree. I'm not a SF voter (surprise!) but the more they get pulled in to the political system the better. It will probably reveal their hypocrisy, crazy economic policies etc. However this will not happen unless all parties decide to draw a line under the past. SF can't be demanding enquiries into Ballymurphy and then criticising enquiries into McConville. This applies across the board to the Loyalist/Unionist as well.

Yeah maybe you are right. Maybe one stint in a dodgy coalition would expose them. And when the voting public see that they don't have a "magic money tree", they would see sense. At the same time I feel that once in power it would be difficult to shift them.

I don't agree. I'm not a SF voter (surprise!) but the more they get pulled in to the political system the better. It will probably reveal their hypocrisy, crazy economic policies etc.
    We'll try again.
    What's "crazy" about their economic policy?
    Specifically.

The economic policies of the past and present went so swimmingly well.

To be fair, it was pretty much the policies of FF in the recent past that put us where we are.

FG and Labour just have the unenviable task of cleaning up the mess left behind and implementing stuff that should have been done two decades ago.

We'll try again.
    What's "crazy" about their economic policy?
    Specifically.

They had absolutely no plan whatsoever as to how they would fund the country other than the "burn the bondholders" slogan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

They had absolutely no plan whatsoever as to how they would fund the country other than the "burn the bondholders" slogan.
    while voting for the bank guarantee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

are we there yet!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

If they did it would be selling smuggled smokes and it would no doubt be run on laundered diesel!
    Sinn Fein in power? I would trust the Dundons et al before I would trust Adams and his gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If they did it would be selling smuggled smokes and it would no doubt be run on laundered diesel!
    Sinn Fein in power? I would trust the Dundons et al before I would trust Adams and his gang.
    If you've evidence of illegal activity, bring it to the attention of the gardaí. Don't make those accusations here.

while voting for the bank guarantee

Didn't they claim afterwards that they didn't have enough time to analyze it fully prior to the vote once public opinion soured on the idea?

I know if i didn't understand something as important as that fully i'd just vote in support of it and hope for the best :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

To be fair, it was pretty much the policies of FF in the recent past that put us where we are.

FG and Labour just have the unenviable task of cleaning up the mess left behind and implementing stuff that should have been done two decades ago.

Do FG and Labour have progressive economic policies of their own? It seems to me that they were doing doing as they were told and implementing IMF policies since coming into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

StudentDad wrote: »
    Who was that Roman Senator who said, 'In times of war the law falls silent?' I can't think of his name.

Cicero. Google FTW. Also, he was a consul. Give him his proper title!, etc, etc.

Remind me who was in opposition screaming at FF and the greens that they weren't spending enough?????

Any wonder you treat your accounts as disposable. Must be on number 3 now in the space of a year.

Remind me who was in opposition screaming at FF and the greens that they weren't spending enough?????

I don't deny that but that was/is a feature of Irish politics.

If one crowd says snow is white then the other crowd has to say it's black. It's a facsimile of the Republican/Democrat thing in the US where members from the opposite side will vote down things that they know are good ideas just because the guys across the floor came up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Indeed, our FG fanboys tend to forget that their crowd were offering the public a turbo-charged version of FF.

We might have been in an even worse position if they'd got their way.

• Advertisement

http://www.sinnfein.ie/economy
    So, anything other than "their economic policy sucks"? No specifics?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement