Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Remind me who was in opposition screaming at FF and the greens that they weren't spending enough?????
    Whatever tweaking the public service needed was an irrelevance compared to the bak guarantee. Why anybody fell for FFs lies over that and voted for it is a mystery, though FG seem to be pretty well FFs twin so it's not a surprise in their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/economy
    So, anything other than "their economic policy sucks"? No specifics?

Jayus they can't even spell British correctly ,

Last Sf TD I talked to was promoting the ideal of wealth redistribution ,
    Like that actually works ,Robert Mugabe schools of politics idea ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Gatling wrote: »

Which sf td was that

LOL. So what's free market liberal economics then, Somalia?
    What's wrong with wealth redistribution anyway? You think wealth in Ireland is distributed fairly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

There has been worldwide outrage alright, ranging from congressmen in the USA to students in catalonia.
    If by "worldwide" you mean "very sparse spacing between consecutive people who think the police shouldn't investigate murders other than on a timetable envisaged by the suspects", then yes, that's exactly what we're seeing.
    The fact that there has been no mass protest yet is testament to the Sinn Fein leadership.

That's a lovely little dilemma you imagine have us on the horns of, there. Any amount of reaction can be explained by the cofactors of the vast outrage at this monstrous development, and the immense, Gandhi-like powers of calming restraint of SF politicos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A guy who complains about spelling then posts the above :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The person who wrote the above is criticising a few spelling mistakes on a website? :rolleyes:

If only!

Ireland badly needs some wealth redistribution -- not like most Western countries, indeed. It's hard not to think that SF aren't more concerned with "redistributing" Labour and FF votes than any meaningful programme of social change, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The person who wrote the above is criticising a few spelling mistakes on a website? :rolleyes:

Are you comparing a post on boards.ie to a supposedly professional party website? I think you are!

In oulde English then know thy enemy
    ( even it its just spelling there name )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

So, anything other than "their economic policy sucks"? No specifics?
    Amongst our proposals are the introduction of a third rate of income tax of 48% on income over €100,000, the introduction of a 1% wealth tax on assets valued at over €1 million, the standardisation of all discretionary tax reliefs, the capping of public sector salaries at €100,000, increases of 10% in both Capital Gains and Capital Acquisitions taxes, and a cut in the salaries of government Ministers, TD's and Senators. We completely oppose the introduction of the property tax and water charges.

A 3rd rate of tax would bring the marginal tax rate for people earning over €100k to 62%. How does that incentivise anybody to go out and do well for themselves, start a small business and start employing people?? Also people earning over €100k already pay 71% of the total tax take in Ireland.http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Comment/Opinion/COMMENT%3A+The+truth+about+who+pays+the+most+tax/id/89127228-1885-0859-7099-237509443604

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Are you comparing a post on boards.ie to a supposedly professional party website? I think you are!

I think he was talking about the irony of a person pointing out spelling mistakes on a website by using poor spelling in his own post.

In oulde English then know thy enemy
    ( even it its just spelling there name )

Nah brother botching the English language is just another was SF have of sticking it to the colonial oppressor. ;)
    I think he was talking about the irony of a person pointing out spelling mistakes on a website by using poor spelling in his own post.
    I get where you're coming from but this is a much less formal medium. I expect spelling mistakes here.

What was spelt poorly exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

LOL. So what's free market liberal economics then, Somalia?
    What's wrong with wealth redistribution anyway? You think wealth in Ireland is distributed fairly?
    what's wrong with wealth redistribution is most wealth is earned by the skill of the person earning it.
    Why should that skilled person bother with their efforts if the fruits of their efforts are just going to be taken off them?
    You'd then have no incentive to create wealth and ergo no investment in things that trickle money down to people employed by that investment.
    You'd also kill off the cleverest most innovative people in society's incentive to take part in this economy...leaving us with not much going on and a lot bigger percentage of frankly lazy people looking for more hand outs from an ever decreasing pool.
    A disaster basically.

whitebriar wrote: »
    what's wrong with wealth redistribution is most wealth is earned by the skill of the person earning it.
    Why should that skilled person bother with their efforts if the fruits of their efforts are just going to be taken off them?
    You'd then have no incentive to create wealth and ergo no investment in things that trickle money down to people employed by that investment.
    You'd also kill off the cleverest most innovative people in society's incentive to take part in this economy...leaving us with not much going on and a lot bigger percentage of frankly lazy people looking for more hand outs from an ever decreasing pool.
    A disaster basically.
    If that's the case why is there a negative correlation between gini coefficient and gdp per capita?

A 3rd rate of tax would bring the marginal tax rate for people earning over €100k to 62%. How does that incentivise anybody to go out and do well for themselves, start a small business and start employing people?? Also people earning over €100k already pay 71% of the total tax take in Ireland.http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Comment/Opinion/COMMENT%3A+The+truth+about+who+pays+the+most+tax/id/89127228-1885-0859-7099-237509443604
    The policy says pretty clearly it's applied to the bit >100,000, not the rate for the whole salary. People will still get more take home if the earn more. They same case could be made for any progressive taxation, that it is a disincentive.
    I bet you're not against the 100,000 public sector salary cap though...

I'm sorry I'm neither clever enough or wealthy so I can't answer that.

They have commented on the timing of his arrest, and how it could be perceived as politically motivated.
    Nope, they've flat-out asserted that it is so. Including their deputy leader.
    Which, given the sequence of events since Gerry Adams made contact with the Psni signalling his availability to talk with them over five weeks and his subsequent arrest (at election campaign time) they are totally correct on doing so.
    Well, you keep saying that. Is five weeks really some outrageously long period of time in the context of something of this high profile and importance, with such a long timescale historical investigation? The PSNI are supposed to get the letter, look frantically at their watches, drop everything, and check when it's OK? Never mind that Adams did agree to the PSNI's date, for all the blustering complaint about it subsequently.

This is tantamount to saying either on the one hand, that there's a very narrow (though still unspecified) interval of time in which it would have been "acceptable" to question Adams, or on the other, than they're have been a storm of complaints whatever the precise timing.

You're talking about salary, not wealth. They are very different things.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry I'm neither clever enough or wealthy so I can't answer that.

Gini coefficient is how equal a countries income is distributed. 0 is perfectly evenly distributed and and 100 is perfectly unevenly distributed.

You see here as gini increases gdp tends to fall.

http://visualizingeconomics.com/blog/2006/01/04/gdp-per-capital-vs-gini-index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

The policy says pretty clearly it's applied to the bit >100,000, not the rate for the whole salary. People will still get more take home if the earn more. They same case could be made for any progressive taxation, that it is a disincentive.
    I bet you're not against the 100,000 public sector salary cap though...

Yes as I said the marginal tax rate would be 62%. It would hardly movtivate anyone to go out and and push themselves when you will only get 38% of your effort into your pocket.

Also, how will Ireland retain the top doctors, professors, scientists etc. when their efforts will be capped by a bunch of numpties. A €100k cap is ludicrous and unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

That's total rubbish. The vast majority of high earners are not entrepreneurs.

Also, how will Ireland retain the top doctors, professors, scientists etc. when their efforts will be capped by a bunch of numpties. A €100k cap is ludicrous and unworkable.
    The fact is we won't because we can't afford them thanks to FF/FG economic policy. At least SF aren't lying about that.
    BTW, doctors are vital but they always COST money where scientists should GENERATE money. You can't really lump them together.

A 3rd rate of tax would bring the marginal tax rate for people earning over €100k to 62%. How does that incentivise anybody to go out and do well for themselves, start a small business and start employing people??

OMGprogressivetaxation. The humanity. Couldn't possibly think of running the country into the ground, like those notorious basket cases the Nordic countries, infamous bottom of international league tables on everything.

I realize this is such a truism of reactionary population as to be unchallengeable, but what's the actual logic to it? Does anyone actually get up in the morning and think, "well, my marginal rate of tax has gone up but 10%, so rather than trying to earn another 10K and paying 5K in tax, faced with paying 6K, I might as well go back to bed and optimise my total taxable income at the lower tax breakpoint". By the same token, why might they not be thinking "wait, I need 5K for the new kitchen, the bastards have put my tax up, I'll have to work a bit harder/longer to earn the extra 1K"?

This is, however, further and further off topic. This isn't supposed to be a SF policy forum (or indeed about the policies of parties whose actual raison d'etre really is economic equity).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Some bedtime reading for the "tall poppy" brigade

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674430006

Can we get back to talking about Adams?

#freethebeard

You're talking about salary, not wealth. They are very different things.
    They are not actually.
    Strong income is what grows wealth.wealth is mostly the fruit of the clever enough,incentivised enough persons effort
    Income and wealth are inextricably linked :D

Regarding,taxing above 100,000...personally I think 100k is more than enough for anyone to aspire to as the pinnacle of their earnings.
    The trouble is,if 100k is utopia,there would be no extra income earned for a SF led government unless they faced reality and discovered that they'd then have to tax people to the hilt on 80k or lower and then they start losing their incentive and then you'd see things collapse.
    Vicious circle really.
    No the way to do it is to dictate spending to the most needed areas really and balance the budget.
    High taxation or incentive/work ethic killing fruits of your labour confiscation is a road to doom.

Some bedtime reading for the "tall poppy" brigade

I'm losing track of the use-mention distinctions myself, now. Are you recommending this to people who:
    1. Are tall poppies;
    2. Evince "tall poppy syndrome";
    3. Or, diagnose TPD in others?
    (I guess the smart Daily Show guest would at this point say, "all of the above! everybody go read the book I'm on to plug!")

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

Ivor Bell is the tout as they are calling him in West Belfast. If Ivor is going down for her murder, so is Gerry Adams. He is going to get charged.

• Advertisement

although if a new leader, a "clean skin", does emerge, a move to the center would be a wise move.

FF Nua territory, one might say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement