Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Some bedtime reading for the "tall poppy" brigade

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674430006

Can we get back to talking about Adams?

#freethebeard
    Screw Adams this is a far more interesting topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Na, I don't do sectarianism. That's the other sides specialty.

Is there any content to this beyond "of the two entrenched tribal mentalities, theirs is the 'sectarian' one, because we are perfect in every way"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Is there any content to this beyond "of the two entrenched tribal mentalities, theirs is the 'sectarian' one, because we are perfect in every way"?

The Orange Order and Loyalist parading are inherently sectarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

I don't see how the Shinnerbots can still listen to these people.. they said they would never go to Leinster House and they did...they said they would never go to Stormont and they did... they said they would never give up their weapons and they did.. they said they would never support the police and they did.. Adams claims he was never in the I.R.A...? , They have up until last week been appealing for the public to give information to the police and now just because one of theirs is arrested they are talking about changing their mind... I mean really! how much does it take to see that these people are compulsive liars and can not be trusted... It baffles me! Sinn Fein themselves have called this a crime and called for information!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I'm losing track of the use-mention distinctions myself, now. Are you recommending this to people who:
    1. Are tall poppies;
    2. Evince "tall poppy syndrome";
    3. Or, diagnose TPD in others?
    (I guess the smart Daily Show guest would at this point say, "all of the above! everybody go read the book I'm on to plug!")

Declan Ganley coined the phrase (must be a couple of years ago now) when banging on about his right wing politics and how great and deserving rich folk are.

Just read the book its very good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

dar926 wrote: »
    I don't see how the Shinnerbots can still listen to these people.. they said they would never go to Leinster House and they did...they said they would never go to Stormont and they did... they said they would never give up their weapons and they did.. they said they would never support the police and they did.. Adams claims he was never in the I.R.A...? , They have up until last week been appealing for the public to give information to the police and now just because one of theirs is arrested they are talking about changing their mind... I mean really! how much does it take to see that these people are compulsive liars and can not be trusted... It baffles me! Sinn Fein themselves have called this a crime and called for information!
    Now you know what Protestants in Northern Ireland have to put up with these maniacs. They are a hypocritical party. When flag protesters got arrested, they supported it. They denied the allegations of political policing, when it happens to them, they are in uproar.

They will never be in government in the Dail as the majority of Irish people are good people and would not vote for these morons. Once Adams is charged, I think the threats they are making will fall on deaf ears.

Didn't work then and certainly isn't going to work now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Are you comparing a post on boards.ie to a supposedly professional party website? I think you are!

People in glasshouses shouldn't ever throw stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Lastlight. wrote: »
    They will never be in government in the Dail as the majority of Irish people are good people and would not vote for these morons.

Stranger things have happened.

And we are living in strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Happyman42 wrote: »

I'm still waiting for the misspelled words I apparently posted

Then again I didn't go to college to learn how to build professional websites for political party's ,and not have a grasp of the English language

Gatling wrote: »

Then again I didn't go to college to learn how to build professional websites for political party's ,and not have a grasp of the English language

That sort of error doesn't actually detract from the message you are writing, but it might if you were standing for election and it was part of your manifesto, which should be error-free.

Some interesting stuff in this thread - maybe we can all concentrate on that?

• Advertisement

[...] for political party's ,

Well, there's one, since you ask. Plural is "parties", "party's" is the singular possessive.

I think the main thing from your original was "punctuation as flaky as all heck", but if we were pulling people up about that all the time on web fora, we'd have no time for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Amazing the anti Irish sentiments that some posters exhibit considering the amount of posts they have racked up on an Irish website :p

Declan Ganley coined the phrase (must be a couple of years ago now)

I know what the phrase means: it's a well-known Australianism. First time I've heard of Deccers passing it off as his own, though little would surprise me on that score. Political chancer on an epic scale. Likely only the fact that he has an English accent ever saved the country from being run by his New Model Blueshirts (or whatever other colour scheme he might have gone for).

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Amazing the anti Irish sentiments that some posters exhibit considering the amount of posts they have racked up on an Irish website :p

Oh dear. We're not making it very far through the standard playbook on this thread, are we?

Insult people failing to show the correct amount of outrage about the arrest.
    Whatabout some other stuff.
    Insult people some more, with particular reference to being "national traitors".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Oh dear. We're not making it very far through the standard playbook on this thread, are we?

Insult people failing to show the correct amount of outrage about the arrest.
    Whatabout some other stuff.
    Insult people some more, with particular reference to being "national traitors".

Sorry what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

LOL.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The Orange Order and Loyalist parading are inherently sectarian.

Did you hear me say there was no such thing as Unionist/Protestant/Loyalist sectarianism?

If you, you'd the gain turned up a tad too high, because I most certainly didn't say it.

Well, there's one, since you ask. Plural is "parties", "party's" is the singular possessive.

I think the main thing from your original was "punctuation as flaky as all heck", but if we were pulling people up about that all the time on web fora, we'd have no time for anything else.

You missed, 'Jayus', 'Sf', and the stunning grammar.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Can't they keep him 28 days in total?

Yes.

For me 96h is the big threshold, though. To that point, it's within the "normal" detention process (with judicial oversight of the extensions). Past that, you're making use of "prevention of terrorism" provisions. And sure, it's a terrorist offence that's being investigated, but for a 40yo historic case review, I think it'd be an abuse of protest to be using "OMG national security!" supposedly-exceptionalist provisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Followed by

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He did ask about spelling though, not erratic capitalisation, grammar, mystery rendering of colloquialisms, etc.

Jayus is spelt correctly

And a missed F

Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

FYI, apparently you can't be saying "Shinnerbot" on this thread, even with any amount of qualification and nuance as to which people you're describing thereby. Whereas sentiments with all the subtlety "you're neurotic", "that's stupid", "you're a traitor", that's all good for giggles.

It's a boards.ie policy called 'containing the red and blue menace'.

Jayus is spelt correctly
    I'd have gone with "Jaysus", myself, or if you're skimping on the second sibilant, "Jeez". Though of course, "very possibly" you had in mind some Indonesian slang.

Paddy Power has now opened a book on the chances of Gerry Adams going on dirty strike.

(Not really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Paddy Power has now opened a book on the chances of Gerry Adams going on dirty strike.

(Not really)

/slow clap.

You're only about the 14th person to crack such 'comedy gold'.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Followed by

:rolleyes:

I wasn't the one criticising somebody else.

/slow clap.

You're only about the 14th person to crack such 'comedy gold'.

Tough audience!

So anyway, any American IRA donors in tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Thread has descended into a shambles.

• Advertisement

Though of course, "very possibly" you had in mind some Indonesian slang.

Been regularly appearing in my posts for 7+ years,

I now believe there's dark forces at work political grammar policing at its worst I'm Outraged

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement